News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Warm December Day

Started by Big J, December 30, 2019, 09:34:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Been a little while since the last time I was able to get out and fish with all the Holiday Festivities going on.  Looked at the 60 degree weather for Saturday and got the okay to go.  Went to a stream that usually treats me pretty good in the winter but today it fished a little slow.  Was on the stream by 9, bite didn't really begin until 11 and even that was pretty slow going.  Picked up a couple good sized trout still though. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Started out the morning right.

Obligatory first fish of day photo.

Guessing from fur that it was coyote

Stream amazes me with the sized pools it has.  Down low it is mostly running underground and looks like a piss trickle.

Fish on.

A few stones were flying around.  Saw some small mayflies as well (maybe BWO) but never got a close look.  I had a dry dropper on for a while but quickly figured out I needed to be deeper.  Came across one pool with two fish rising consistently, but those were the only surface feeding I saw.

Lunch break.  Bagel Chips and Summer Sausage wasn't a bad combo.

Santa will be making a late stop for me soon.

First time carrying my 1911 Commander in 10mm.  Swapped out the Main spring and Recoil Spring, put in a flat bottom FPS, and ran a few hundred rounds of various ammo in it.  Got it running reliably enough to make me feel comfortable carrying.  Only issues I'm having is chambering a round by hand on a full magazine.  Might mess around with the feed ramp, but we'll see.

The colors on this little guy really popped.  V:;

rbphoto

Solid.

Weather's been great down here too, but I've got too much distracting me from fishing.

Unfortunately.

Glad you had a good day out.

Also glad you figured out that Commander!
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

ryguy

Nice!  Can't beat a nice day spent outside.

greg

Dee-Vo

Wonderful work. Glad to see it.

itieuglyflies

A great outing for sure, pleased to see your always excellent reporting again. However, it looks like you needed more egg on those biscuits!

streamereater_101691

Phil

Verrry nice, J, especially the colors on that last brook!  'c;

"First time carrying my 1911 Commander in 10mm.  Swapped out the Main spring and Recoil Spring, put in a flat bottom FPS, and ran a few hundred rounds of various ammo in it.  Got it running reliably enough to make me feel comfortable carrying.  Only issues I'm having is chambering a round by hand on a full magazine.  Might mess around with the feed ramp, but we'll see." Uh-oh. You've got the 1911 bug, eh? Lots of messing and tinkering around to get 'em running right. Too much trouble for me. Nice looking pistol, though!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Good job Jacob!  Stream in my neck-of-the-woods?

I enjoyed the fish/habitat photos, approved your attire, liked the winter Capniidae shot, and even appreciated the artery-clogging processed biscuit/meat pics.

Not a scatologists, but I don't believe the fecal deposition is coyote – no pointed ends and I doubt any coyote would perch on this small boulder to take a dump.  Perhaps someone more familiar with crap could elucidate.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Phil on December 31, 2019, 08:59:41 AMUh-oh. You've got the 1911 bug, eh? Lots of messing and tinkering around to get 'em running right. Too much trouble for me. Nice looking pistol, though!

Yes, really liking the 1911 right now.  They are a very tinkering with kind of gun though.  Getting that fricken Firing Pin Stop fitted was a pain.  Got it filed and installed, but didn't have enough metal removed from bottom and was hanging up on slide.  Had to take it back out and file file file.  For a $500 gun, I don't mind tinkering.  If it was a high end 1911 not running smoothly out of box I'd be a little more annoyed.

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on December 31, 2019, 09:23:30 AMStream in my neck-of-the-woods?

Not a scatologists, but I don't believe the fecal deposition is coyote – no pointed ends and I doubt any coyote would perch on this small boulder to take a dump.  Perhaps someone more familiar with crap could elucidate.   

Yes, lower section.  I'm just glad I didn't get shot by a hunter.

Possum maybe then?  Always see fur in scat and assume coyote. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Yes, it is still black-powder season; perhaps a bit of orange would have been prudent.  Warm day when you were close.  I was just over the mountain squirrel/deer hunting that morning – in shirt sleeves. 

Is it fur or is it white fuzzy mold/fungus like you sometimes see on cat poop in the litter box?     
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!