Redneck Fishin' Mission

Started by Yallerhammer, May 28, 2016, 10:11:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yallerhammer

Disclaimer: This is not a sophisticated hipster-approved blueline TR. If you are offended by non-pristine creeks, cheap beer, fish over 6" long with questionable ancestry, and murder and consumption of trout and pseudo-trout; then you are a-fixin' to suffer some psychological trauma and righteous anger/indignation if you keep reading. We gotta be keepin' shit real up in here every now and then.

I was off work yesterday morning, and my wife put in an order for some smoked trout for supper. Dammit, now I gotta go fishing. Sometimes we must make sacrifices to keep the Better Half happy.

Headed for what I consider to be my home waters. This creek runs only a couple miles from my house, and I've been fishing it for 40 years, to the point I about have the fish named. Though it is not a pristine, remote drainage, it is near and dear to my heart. It is a good-sized creek on the lower end, where it runs through a mix of farmland and wooded gorges. The middle portions flow through mixed farmland, developed, and trailer park-type landscape. The upper reaches are nice little mountain streams that still hold a few specks. The lower and middle portions are stocked sporadically, but also hold a good population of wild browns and rainbows, along with some huge browns. I have caught many browns over 20" from the lower stretches over the years.

Started out on the lower mid reaches, drifting a pair of  nymphs.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Leroy foodz were abundant, and hungry. I must have caught fifteen of these, from finger-sized to trophies:

Fish were hitting fairly well. Caught a bunch of the usual small wild browns and rainbows from this stretch, and hung one really nice brown that just shook its head when I set the hook, then came unbuttoned on its first circle around the hole. Interestingly, a lot of these browns would jump repeatedly like rainbows when hooked.

No fresh stockers in this stretch, but I caught some hatchery brooks that looked to have been in there since last year, and were starting to color up and look like real fish. I let a couple of the prettier ones go, it would be interesting to see what they look like a year in in the future if they survive.

Obligatory wildflower pic: Zigzag spiderwort (Tradescantia subaspera)

Went on upstream to a stretch that flows by a pristine trailer park. I have caught several big browns out of this stretch in the past, but just more of the usual hitting today:

Leroy lives here:

Delbert Dickhead also lives here. Why is it possible for the bastard to carry this shit in, but impossible to carry it back out?

Found a hole populated with some fat doughbellies that the crawler drowner missed:

The fat footlong rainbow stocker actually put up quite a fight on my 3-weight. So I knocked it in the head.

I had all the fish I needed at this point, so I decided to head upstream to the headwaters and probe some smaller streams for wild fish. But by the time I got back to the truck, thunder and rain threatened. I hung out under the bridge to clean my fish and drink a bottle of lightning repellant while I waited to see what the weather was up to.

But rain set in, and lightning started popping, so with mission accomplished, I headed on home.

Fin.

Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Onslow

Michael Toris

Hellz yeah. Cut them sumbitches a flip

Yallerhammer

PS-where did the "report" button go to?

Yallerhammer

PPS: Seasoned the trouts with some Creole seasoning, stuffed the cavities with lemon and onion slices, and threw them on the kamado on some cedar planks. I made some fried red taters with bacon and onions, and some cast-iron cornbread. It was delicious. Mrs. Yallerhammer was happy.

Yallerhammer

Cool, report button is back!

ajhock

1st-The video can't be legit since there were toothbrushes in the bathroom shot.
2nd- Those fish don't have eyes where they are supposed to be.
""Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know."-J. Keats

driver

Even went all out redneck with the Styrofoam cooler

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

DRIFTS

l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

BrookieHunter

Thanks for that amazing video y;, I'm pretty sure I work with some of their relatives.

Dee-Vo

The last pic is the prettiest stocker I've ever seen. Guess they serve a purpose after all.

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Yallerhammer

Quote from: ajhock on May 28, 2016, 21:28:34 PM
1st-The video can't be legit since there were toothbrushes in the bathroom shot.
2nd- Those fish don't have eyes where they are supposed to be.

My wife don't like fish staring accusingly at her while she's eating them.

Onslow

Creel basket or wally world nylon catfish stringer...or did you drop em in yer waders?  Seeking the most convenient way of managing the fish without em getting warm and mushy during the course of fishing.

I've become lazy in recent years, and have not the will to drag around pounds of trout.  However, the presence of so many unusually aggressive bow stockers in my local wild brown streams concerns me.  Leaning towards extermination & fishy picnics.  Stocker bows should not have the ability to jump 6' high repeatedly before becoming finned out.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: Onslow on May 29, 2016, 08:30:42 AM
Creel basket or wally world nylon catfish stringer...or did you drop em in yer waders?  Seeking the most convenient way of managing the fish without em getting warm and mushy during the course of fishing.

I've become lazy in recent years, and have not the will to drag around pounds of trout.  However, the presence of so many unusually aggressive bow stockers in my local wild brown streams concerns me.  Leaning towards extermination & fishy picnics.  Stocker bows should not have the ability to jump 6' high repeatedly before becoming finned out.

I've done all of the above, but the white-trash option of the stringer tied to the belt is by far the best way to keep 'em fresh, IMO. One of those canvas creels is probably #2 practical solution. The old wicker creels worked great, but are bulky and almost impossible to find any more. Or you can always go with the traditional forked stick. :D

The stocker brooks and bows are actually quite good eating nowadays, at least the ones coming from the hatchery in my neck of the woods. Much better than they were in years past. Especially if they've been in the creek a week or four. The doughbelly stocker browns, not so much. They're soft, mushy and don't have much flavor.