Spinning rods are the future fam

Started by Michael Toris, July 14, 2017, 23:14:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael Toris

Spork and me caught a few eyeballs today

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I have more pics, but they won't upload for some reason. I even caught a nice channel cat too.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Phil

Spinning rod and plastics are way good for smallies. Love it, DAYUMson.
Hey -- what size hooks ya using?

Onslow

Fuk a walleye tho. 

Damn low performing yankee pop eyed prairie perch.  Whatever you do, don't start talking like yer from Iowa, or some shit.

Michael Toris

Quote from: Onslow on July 15, 2017, 11:18:30 AM

Fuk a walleye tho. 

Damn low performing yankee pop eyed prairie perch.  Whatever you do, don't start talking like yer from Iowa, or some shit.
New River natives bro

Michael Toris

Quote from: Phil on July 15, 2017, 09:42:06 AM
Spinning rod and plastics are way good for smallies. Love it, DAYUMson.
Hey -- what size hooks ya using?
1/8 and 1/4 ounce jig heads

#4 hooks for bait

Michael Toris

Fuk a walleye tho. 

Smallies are bycatch trash fish. I'd rather catch walleye than eat when I'm hungry.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: DAYUMson on July 15, 2017, 22:00:52 PM

Fuk a walleye tho. 

New River natives bro

You might be mistaken on the "native" New Walleye.  Native to the Clinch, Big Sandy, etc. drainage perhaps, but I don't think the Walleye is native to the New River.  Ken also may be smoking his socks when he lumps them as "yankee pop eyed prairie perch".

Best fish I ever tasted were MN Walleye, all you could eat at a mom-and-pop joint in northern MN.

Rock on!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Michael Toris

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on July 16, 2017, 10:18:43 AM
Quote from: DAYUMson on July 15, 2017, 22:00:52 PM

Fuk a walleye tho. 

New River natives bro

You might be mistaken on the "native" New Walleye.  Native to the Clinch, Big Sandy, etc. drainage perhaps, but I don't think the Walleye is native to the New River.  Ken also may be smoking his socks when he lumps them as "yankee pop eyed prairie perch".

Best fish I ever tasted were MN Walleye, all you could eat at a mom-and-pop joint in northern MN.

Rock on!

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251574039_Movements_of_Walleyes_in_Claytor_Lake_and_the_Upper_New_River_Virginia_Indicate_Distinct_Lake_and_River_Populations

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://theses.lib.vt.edu/theses/available/etd-121499-151909/unrestricted/etd.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjiqp3sqo7VAhVDOj4KHaHiDFMQFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNHj1pHwBHkUy1Qj5-ZymxNkEI-yOA

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Brian_Murphy10/publication/251573420_Genetic_marker-assisted_restoration_of_the_presumptive_native_walleye_fishery_in_the_New_River_Virginia_and_West_Virginia/links/0046351f137feb9e8d000000/Genetic-marker-assisted-restoration-of-the-presumptive-native-walleye-fishery-in-the-New-River-Virginia-and-West-Virginia.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwjiqp3sqo7VAhVDOj4KHaHiDFMQFggiMAE&usg=AFQjCNEA8eI1UvX0_uGMHpLJlM2J5Ob5pA

George Palmer did his graduate work on the New River walleye and found there exists two genetically distinct stocks: one lotic and one lentic. The lotic stock (or strain) spawns in the river is always bigger.

The genetics of the river strain is more similar to a strain of walleye found in the Rockcastle River in KY than any lake strain known. It is unique in that it has never been found anywhere else except the New. They are restocking New River strain walleyes by testing large female and males via fin clips and protein analysis prior to spawning them at the Buller fish hatchery.

Also, the old timers will tell you about them. They called them "pike".

Michael Toris

Smallies are non-native though

troutfanatic

QuoteSmallies are bycatch trash fish. I'd rather catch walleye than eat when I'm hungry.

And then you can eat wally, which is the best eating freshwater fish in North America.

Smallmouth taste like shit.

Bonus points for the bold use of spinning rawds.

Onslow

That last one sure looks much healthier than those runty runts pulled from Little T, or Linville.

G man, are the Walleyes below Leesville Lake Lotic?  Clearly you are catching resident Walleye on the Old, but the fishery at the Staunton are described as seasonal, implying they are lake fish.  Like most content on the internet, I suspect this former assessment is regurgitated mess from a half wit.

Onslow

Quote from: troutfanatic on July 16, 2017, 16:36:14 PM
QuoteSmallies are bycatch trash fish. I'd rather catch walleye than eat when I'm hungry.

Smallmouth taste like shit.

Bullfukingshit!

troutfanatic

Okay, maybe yer right, they taste like a used tampon.  :banana072:

you need to go get some of them pop-eyed perch and fry the fuckers in some beer batter. The only thing that might be better from fresh water is striper.

native range extends pretty far south...

[attachment id=0 msg=153134]

Dee-Vo

The one time I tried yellow perch was at lake eerie. It was good. I chose it over walleye. I wish I would've tried the walleye before leaving.

Phil

Walleye and yellow perch are both super eating. Better than any bass or crappie.