News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Redemption...

Started by AL trout bum, February 05, 2012, 23:22:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL trout bum

Before I get to that, I tried out a new creek Saturday that is in the middle of town. I am liking it's potential for spring. It hold panfish, bass and catfish.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

First cast...

Unfortunately there were also lots of these...

There was no lack of fishy looking water either. There was a foamy eddy at the bottom right of this pic that I'm sure held fish, but I couldn't get to it because of the current dragging my line out.

I caught one more fish and called it a day. I had a long drive ahead of me, and I needed to hit the road.

This next trip was all about redemption. The last time I was there, I caught one of the famed sulphur hatches the river is known for. It was most certainly a sight to see. However, I only caught one dinky fish out of the dozens rising around me.
Replay from a few months back:

Fast forward to this weekend. I needed to experience this river again. A second chance to put into practice what I learned the last time.

Almost as soon as I got on the road, there was a deluge of rain. I don't know why I was surprised though, that's standard weather when I decide to go on a trip.

I pressed on and hoped the trip wouldn't be a bust. I arrived late, checked into the hotel and tried to sleep. I say "tried" because the anticipation of what the next day held kept me awake for most of the night. No matter how many fishing trips I have been on, and no matter how small any one trip may be, it feels like the night before Christmas every single time.

I arrived to find the water dingy, but not murky, and just a little high.

First few casts produced a nice spawning rainbow. Not what I was targeting, but a nice fish nonetheless.

Fishing was slow, I hooked and lost several more nice rainbows. Finally, I felt a familiar tug on the line.

It didn't stop there...

Another rainbow to keep the variety going..

Then another brown...

After quite a few browns and rainbows landed and lost, my stomach told me it was time to eat. All of the browns were caught on this:

Hit up a local hole in the wall for a hot meal.....

After lunch I headed to another area.

I could tell some other fisherman had already been there..

Glad they practiced catch and release..

Soon after getting on the water, BAM!

Further down there were quite a few fish rising to BWOs coming off. I tied on one and picked my target.

The grassy area in the middle right of the below picture had a fish that was rising pretty consistently. I made several drifts before making one final cast. I watch him slam it that time! Cool to fish dries in February on high water. Not an easy thing to do.

As the day was drawing to a close, I admired the nice scenery and picked up maybe the nicest brown of the trip on a zebra midge.

I love these colors...

No lunkers were caught, but I bested my previous attempt and caught lots of nice fish. Total fish count was around 30. 2/3 of those were browns, which made me happy. I'll be back for sure!

Interesting...DSFK
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

FoulHook

Aww man! That's good stuff!  'c;
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

phlyfisher

.....fackin ehhhhh  -0-
{S;
0:0
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

The Jesus

Fucking amateur... >:D
Brutal? Fuck Brutal, speak to Sierras, bout brutal u flat land fucka  >:(
Alabama has no place on the trout map. Keep i thatta way pederast p;-

blue ridge angler

Dougfish

benben reincarnated

Redemption is good indeed. 

Transylwader

Nice Matt, I got a calendar from the NCWRC this past weekend and noted they claim the rainbows are starting to spawn in a few weeks. Either the northern hemi is way off on seasons or us "true" southerners have a messed up calendar. Nuthing wrong with pulling cockroaches off their reds. If I had my way, I would extirpate rainbows from the wilds of WNC, they are a nuisance and take over too many streams >:D

AL trout bum

Quote from: Transylwader on February 06, 2012, 10:38:15 AM
Nuthing wrong with pulling cockroaches off their reds. If I had my way, I would extirpate rainbows from the wilds of WNC, they are a nuisance and take over too many streams >:D

Yea, this section just opened after being closed for 3 months. So I was fishing for browns, but had some rainbow by-catches. If I had my way I would never have one on the end of my line. I didn't see many fish on reds. There were some reds from the browns spawning, but none had fish in them. However, they were colored up, so I guess their spawning has begun.
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Jfey

Good stuff. 'c;   Try standing upstream and feeding your line down into that eddy when your streamer gets to the end of it, strip it back up throught it.   Just a thought.
Yup, going fishing

Holmes

consumnfire1229

"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

AL trout bum

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 06, 2012, 21:54:50 PM
Like crazy, man!

I know you fish that water A LOT, and I thought about telling you I was going to be up there if you wanted to fish, but I didn't know I was going until last minute. I'll be back though  -0-

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: AL trout bum on February 06, 2012, 22:26:01 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 06, 2012, 21:54:50 PM
Like crazy, man!

I know you fish that water A LOT, and I thought about telling you I was going to be up there if you wanted to fish, but I didn't know I was going until last minute. I'll be back though  -0-

couldn't of gone this w/e anyway...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!