New River - Little Egypt

Started by Woolly Bugger, August 10, 2007, 20:45:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Left home at 2:45 and was on the water a little after 4:00. Nice and low and clear.... Hot as begezies and I forgot my hat! Tied on a big yaller popper and worked my way across the water. After about an hour I downsized the popper and started getting into fish. They ranged in size from 10 to 12 and put up a good fight. I noticed a few hitting the top, they looked like decent sized fish, and I cast out to them nailing two almost back to back! They were a little bit bigger at around 13". Then i worked the far bank for a while and picked up a couple more. I was looking at the structure and noticed a likely spot about 30 feet in front and to the left a little. I zipped that little popper just in front of the submerged rock and as soon as it hit the water all hell broke loose! This one took off and I got the fish on the reel almost immediately. He pulled some drag and then headed back downstream towards me! Yikes I was reeling like mad and just managed to keep a tight like, he jumped and dove back down and then I got him to hand! I nice fat 16 incher measured against the rod! The sun was down now and I caught a few more as I worked my way to the far shore. I got off the water just before 8 and I'm happy to report that I caught more fish wading for a few hours that all day on the nine mile float!

No pictures, no place to put the camera, took my necklace and one fly box in my shirt pocket... nice not to have a vest on..

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Chaser

That sure as hell beat my afternoon.  0--0 Almost two hours sitting in rush hour traffic o-o

TC

lepomis_mcro

great trip... i need to hit that part of the river again soon. did you float by yourself, if so. who did you get to shuttle you? i have thought about going mid week when im off work. but need a shuttle.
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on August 10, 2007, 21:23:58 PM
great trip... i need to hit that part of the river again soon. did you float by yourself, if so. who did you get to shuttle you? i have thought about going mid week when im off work. but need a shuttle.

Just went wading.... I think I fish better w/o the toon to worry about...

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

phg

That's a nice stretch of river with some real productive riffles.  Unfortunately, I have to add about 2 hours to the drive time, each way. :'(  One of these days I'm going to get lucky and get to fish the New when the fish are really on... ::) (we all have to have a dream.)

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: phg on August 11, 2007, 09:01:59 AM
That's a nice stretch of river with some real productive riffles.  Unfortunately, I have to add about 2 hours to the drive time, each way. :'(  One of these days I'm going to get lucky and get to fish the New when the fish are really on... ::) (we all have to have a dream.)

The river is on about 80% of the time, just never during a smallie show....(although Kim may disagree) standing up on a two man does have it's advantages.... especially when you've got a good man like Ralph on the oars. I'm thinking by next year I'll have a two man and put my son on the sticks!

btw I had almost the whole stretch to myself, there were 6 teenagers frolicking in the deep hole just up from the pull-off, as the matter of fact their three cars blocked all of the parking so I had to park down at the next pull off near the "turn-a-round" gate and had a little wading to get up to the bikini hatch... 4:00 may have been a bit early, especially w/o my hat. 5:00 on was better and then I was only limited by time as I needed to be back in w/s around 9:00

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Stuart R.

Nice we fished around the radford area yesterday and last night and done well. I let the biggest bass of my life get away on a popper "R" on the spinner right at dark fall. I fished a fly all day till dark set then went to the spinner. I had a nice trip and caught a couple nice 16in or so samllies.

STU
CPR Catch, Photo, Release.