Trip to the lost world, or what I remember of it anyway

Started by Trout Maharishi, May 28, 2010, 11:27:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trout Maharishi

Packed up the hippie van with all the fishing and enough camping equipment for and assault on Everest.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I let the midgets take most of the photos this trip, big mistake, I still managed to salvage a few.Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Fishing was difficult, and I found out why, these waters are inhabited by the dreaded anaconda trout eating water snakeGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Most fish were caught on terrestrials like ants and inchwormsGuests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

The midgets and I always come prepared with our secret ace in the hole just in case we don't have the right fly

Massive hatches at dusk everyday. Isos, Cahills, Little Yellow Stones were the main players.

I still managed to catch a few nice fish despite having to constantly ride herd on the wild bunch.

The midgets stated high and gave me more trouble this trip than usual, now I know why making the Wizard  of Oz was such a big deal. They drank all my hippie beer and I had to hide my good cigars.

The best part of the trip was getting to fish with Troutphisher, Glass, and Peter P, all good guys and good fishermen. If you ever get a chance to fish with any of these guys take them up on it, it's well worth the price of admission. One of the highlights of the trip was getting to taste Mikes' home brew. I would have to say it is everything it was rumored to be and then some 8) The other was the double duce of Cold Mountain Pete saved for me, man I know that took some self control ;) Pete I want you to know it was consumed by a nice fire with a fine cigar. I didn't piss for 2 days trying to get the most out of it 8)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

i'm crying all that good beer gone to waste on hippies and midgets....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Get Bent

All that hippie beer = Massive beer shit in the morning... ;D

Killer report, looks like the famed WNC stream fished well! ;)

Konichiwa Bitches!

troutphisher

It was a fun trip for sure. The fishing was tough, but good. I stayed with the drys most of the time and managed a few on midges, white flys, yellow sally emergers, sulphurs and rusty spinners. The evening hours seemed to be the best, cold beers and warm camp fires........ after hard rains during some days.

The midgets dropped out early, starting their beers much earlier in the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

OldDominionAngler

Jeebus, looks like you'll did good.  That snake eating the trout pic is very cool.

TP, those big bows liked your sally emerger?  I tied a few of those and am excited to test 'em out this weekend.

troutphisher

ODA,

Its hard to say weather it worked good. Like the holy one said, there were great numbers of flys coming off.
I fished it during a mixed hatch of sulphurs and sally's, they were slashing at anything yellow in size 18.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Forrest6775

Trout Maharishi

Forrest,
If snakes bother you I would steer clear of this area. You can't take 2 steps in any direction with out seeing or almost stepping on one. I saw this small fish splash a couple times and went over to investigate. That's when I see the snake had a death grip on the fish's head and was trying to drag it out of the water. I was going to stab it or shoot it in the head, but that's when his holiness' teaching reminded me that all life has value and a place in the natural world.

I think I finally figured out how TP catches so many of those big fish. I went over to where he was fishing and saw that the stream bottom was littered with some strange looking yellow material :o No wonder he advocates yellow flies ;) Phish the night Glass and I fished the Isonychia had a huge spinner fall. The female spinner is a big ol rusty colored mayfly( look at the one on my reel in the original post), maybe a size 12 on a 1 or 2XL size hook. There were thousands of them trying to lay their eggs on the blacktop of the parking lot. I wonder if they get that mixed up with the stream? Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

I have seen that hatch, in fact last year when we fished, we hit it. Parking lot full of spent males. I lost count of the snakes I saw, most just past by with out incident and most were small juveniles.

I think the midgets did a snake dance earlier, right after they lit the hookah...... 8)

peter p

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on May 28, 2010, 11:27:03 AM
The other was the double duce of Cold Mountain Pete saved for me, man I know that took some self control ;) Pete I want you to know it was consumed by a nice fire with a fine cigar. I didn't piss for 2 days trying to get the most out of it 8)

Still sleeping outside for "sharing" the last of the hidden stash.  The dead guy did help ease the pain though.  See you soon. 
Peter

cmiller51h

"Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way" GEN George S. Patton, 3rd Armor Commander

cypresstrout

I noticed you didn't mention the name of the stream.  Is there a Dr. Death moderator of the Don't Ask, Don't Tell, sorta stuff on this board, too? :o

outdoorguy3

looks like ya'll had a good trip and had fair success on Phil's favorite stream :o

Ralph  ;D
Life's about havin' FUN!!!

5xTippett

" fair success on Phil's favorite stream"    :-X ::) :o  Atta Boy, Ralphie!

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.