News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

A Little Hawgin

Started by Onslow, April 15, 2017, 19:54:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

It seemed like a good idea to hit some central NC waters.  Got up at 4:30 to catch up with Jimsnores, and Fishwhisperer at a river that could use more exploring by the trio.  We've fished some sections, but there are many miles of water to be explored.  Access is limited on this particular river.  I ran shuttle for Jim and Jeff, then ventured off solo down below the section they were fishing not long after 8.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Watershed:  Cape Fear

Drainage size:  ~600 sq. miles

Gradient:  variable, 2-9 fpm

Altitude:  300'

Dropped downriver 2 miles, then commenced wading after a brief jaunt in the woods.

First bass of the day measured about 16".  Took a Peanut Envy.  PEs are a pain in the ass crack to use whenever a river bottom is ragged with irregular rock.

Quite an assortment of fish predators here.  Loons, Otters, and a very large population of herons.  This tree is one of two major heron nesting areas on the river.

Started throwing an Intruder due to rock snags.  I find the Intruder to probably the best streamer for both largemouth, and smallmouth when river bottoms are exceedingly ragged. 

Best of the day was 18"

As time wore on, the wind picked up, the sun was intense, and I ran out of water early.  I had planned on fishing until 6, but ended up checking out at 2:30.  My shins were bruised, and I was getting tired.  This river is rough has hell and not a bit forgiving.  The bass fishing was decent, but I didn't catch any Roanokes.

I did stop at a nearby tributary that also has Roanokes (introduced) before heading back to the house.  Couldn't score here either.

This stream's watershed measures about 55 sq miles.  This particular creek has some impressive pools for it's size.

Lithwan

I enjoyed that.

Are Roanokes responsive to topwater stuff? Ain't got none round here.

Onslow

Quote from: Lithwan on April 17, 2017, 10:12:03 AM
I enjoyed that.

I've caught a few on top water, mainly in the 3 to 5 pm time slot with gear many years ago.

I suspect there are Roanoke here and there up your way.  Find rocks on the Bannister or Falling rivers.  If none can be found there, then go to the Fall Line sections of the Nottoway.

Onslow

I enjoyed that.

Holy crap, you live in Asheville.  For some reason, I thought you lived in Blacksburg.  Ain't no Roanokes anywhere near you.

That all being said, I may coordinate a shoal bass shindig in the next year or two in central GA.  That would be worth a 5 hour drive

Stone-Man

Onslow

Some of the best Shoal Bass fishing is in head waters of Lake Eufaula. I think The Flint River forms that lake.

JT

Yallerhammer

Hell yeahs!  'c;

Lithwan, the rivers around here are full of rock bass, which are almost the same fish. They will hit pretty much anything anywhere as long as it's in the water.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff

Lithwan

Quote from: Yallerhammer on April 19, 2017, 07:02:45 AM
Hell yeahs!  'c;

Lithwan, the rivers around here are full of rock bass, which are almost the same fish. They will hit pretty much anything anywhere as long as it's in the water.

You're not kidding. At times when fishing my local for smallmouth, I end up catching more rock bass than anything. Little guys don't put up much of a fight though..

Beetle

Quote from: Onslow on April 17, 2017, 10:29:14 AM
I enjoyed that.

I've caught a few on top water, mainly in the 3 to 5 pm time slot with gear many years ago.

I suspect there are Roanoke here and there up your way.  Find rocks on the Bannister or Falling rivers.  If none can be found there, then go to the Fall Line sections of the Nottoway.

There's some mighty nice catfish and black ducks on the Bannister.    Love that river!

Lithwan

Holy crap, you live in Asheville.  For some reason, I thought you lived in Blacksburg.  Ain't no Roanokes anywhere near you.

That all being said, I may coordinate a shoal bass shindig in the next year or two in central GA.  That would be worth a 5 hour drive
[/quote]

I'd make an effort to attend a shindig like that. Bass were my first fishing obsession, so getting a shot at a new species is appealing.

Onslow

Quote from: Beetle on April 21, 2017, 12:47:17 PM
Quote from: Onslow on April 17, 2017, 10:29:14 AM
I enjoyed that.

There's some mighty nice catfish and black ducks on the Bannister.    Love that river!

Perhaps you you try wading this area.  https://www.google.com/maps/place/36%C2%B054'14.7%22N+79%C2%B011'49.4%22W/@36.904075,-79.1981453,356m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x0!8m2!3d36.904075!4d-79.197051