Smith River TU meet, Thurs, Mar 1st, Rania's uptown Martinsville VA

Started by Al, January 13, 2012, 21:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

Smith River Trout Unlimited will meet at Rania's Restaurant in uptown Martinsville, on Thursday, March 1, 2012, at 6:30 pm.   Fly tying will be the theme for our March meeting. Paul Gruver (PHG), a well known tier will demonstrate some of the little tricks he has picked up along the way.

Paul will be backed up by three local tiers who have developed flies which catch their share of fish on the Smith River:

Lisa "Cricket" Hall will show off her famous "Red Cricket"

Paul Fogle will tie his colorful "Spencer Penn"

Al Kittredge will tie his infamous but very effective "Smith River Allieworm"

You are encouraged to bring your vise, tools and generic materials to follow along. 

In addition to fly tying we will hear SRTU President Darrin Doss lay out a proposed schedule of events for the near future. These include:

a stream restoration project;

booth at the Philpott Expo;

stream clean up;

booth at the Smith River Fest;

program for June meeting;

possible group fishing trip.

chapter decisions/actions on two items of old business:  letter to DGIF ref stocking and PHW

Finally we will discuss any other business which would be of interest to the membership

You do not have to be a member of TU to attend our meetings.(You must be a member in order to vote on chapter business).   Anyone who has an interest in the Smith River Fishery is encouraged to attend.

Rania's provides us with a meeting space with the expectation that the majority of attendees will purchase a meal. (Good food, moderate prices).  Address is 147 E. Main St., Martinsville, VA  24112. It is in the historic district of Martinsville known as uptown as it sits on a hill. 

For information contact Chapter Pres Darrin Doss (276)340-3193 admin@dossphoto.com  Secy Al Kittredge, (910) 868-6235 aakitt@earthlink.net or check our website http://smithrivertu.com/index.html for more details and directions.

Al

We have an exciting addendum to the SRTU meeting announcement:

Several of the SRTU members will be tying and stuffing a large double sided see-through plastic fly box with a special collection of very effective local patterns. This fly box will be raffled off at our March 1st meeting. Don't miss this first and maybe only time to acquire in one fly box a large collection of  local hand tied Smith River "go to" flies. 

If by some chance you are also a fly tyer and have developed your own "Smith River Special" which you would like to contribute to the collection, please bring a minimum of 3 copies to the meeting and we will add them to the box. (Why three? = 1 to fish, 1 to lose & 1 to save in case it is a winner and you want to attempt to tie it on your own)

dossphoto

I am almost hesitate to bring this up on here due to some peoples feelings towards social media.....but what the h*ll.

We just created a Facebook page for Smith River TU.  It will be a place to find more real time information pertaining to the Smith River and our TU chapter.  Hopefully we can develop this into a useful resouce for anyone wanting to learn about the Smith River and/or our club.  If you're on FB, come on over and 'LIKE' us. 

www.facebook.com/SmithRiverTU

22midge

Might have to try and make this one if Im home. Maybe I can find me some kind of fly to catch something in  this river. Got skunked so mant times had to add two black stripes in my hair since it was already white.
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

dossphoto

Bring your vise!  I hear you are really good at tying those dry flies!

22midge

.....never tried a dry fly before.What kind of road kill do I have to find ?
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Dougfish

phlyfisher

Quote from: Dougfish on February 28, 2012, 09:50:59 AM
Anybody up for fishing beforehand? Ya' know, research?

woulda gone out with ya. unfotunaltey im 200 some miles away. sorry i cant make it this time. wont be back for another one until fall  b';
live action
FB@Ohio Fly Fishing

Dougfish

Quote from: phlyfisher on February 28, 2012, 12:02:23 PM
Quote from: Dougfish on February 28, 2012, 09:50:59 AM
Anybody up for fishing beforehand? Ya' know, research?

woulda gone out with ya. unfotunaltey im 200 some miles away. sorry i cant make it this time. wont be back for another one until fall  b';

We'll see how the rain affects the location of said research. Hope it's not a McSkunkin'.