News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

2013 Warm Water

Started by OldDominionAngler, February 12, 2013, 23:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Went out with Drifters yesterday for about 5 hours of musky fishing in the afternoon. Saw two but didn't have any serious follows.  Still a great way to burn an evening.  At dusk a heck of a caddis hatch was coming off the James.  Probably one of the most intense hatches I've been caught in.  Too bad the James isn't a trout stream.

Work goes by slow when your watchin the clock to go fishing.

Not the most scenic stretch of the James by any means, but still not too shabby.

Here's the caddis' that were hatching.

Thanks for floating me Drifters.

Till next time Mr. Musky, till next time.....

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Who is that babe holding the yellow flowers in the photo on your desk?

And why do you have the double monitor deal going?  My wife has multiple monitors; she is nuts as well!  I hate modern technology! 

Looks like you had great temps for floating.

And what is that water stream on the right of your city skyline pic?

Cool caddis – you now have an idea of what they are.

And again, who is that honey holding the yellow flowers in the photo on your desk?

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on October 31, 2013, 08:33:44 AM
Who is that babe holding the yellow flowers in the photo on your desk?

And why do you have the double monitor deal going?  My wife has multiple monitors; she is nuts as well!  I hate modern technology! 

Looks like you had great temps for floating.

And what is that water stream on the right of your city skyline pic?

Cool caddis – you now have an idea of what they are.

And again, who is that honey holding the yellow flowers in the photo on your desk?

That be my wife in the picture.  Sunflowers are her favorite and planning on planting a bunch on the back property line sometime soon. 

Double monitors for less headache.  Make's my job easy for multitasking.

That is the Downtown Lynchburg fountain.  Serves no purpose from what I understand besides being a landmark for downtown, if you can call it that.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on October 31, 2013, 09:01:20 AM
Sunflowers are her favorite and planning on planting a bunch on the back property line sometime soon. 

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on October 31, 2013, 09:08:55 AM
Quote from: Big J on October 31, 2013, 09:01:20 AM
Sunflowers are her favorite and planning on planting a bunch on the back property line sometime soon. 

Ah, but you see, I have mixed motives.  I like me some sunflower seeds and plan on trying my hand at making some sunflower seeds next year. 

Plus the more brownie points I get, the more fishing I get to do.  Win win.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on October 31, 2013, 09:13:14 AM
Ah, but you see, I have mixed motives.  I like me some sunflower seeds and plan on trying my hand at making some sunflower seeds next year. 

Plus the more brownie points I get, the more fishing I get to do.  Win win.

You're a fine young man, and your marital status is in its infancy, so "mixed motives" remain, what seems, an option.  Some years down the road your motives will metamorphose into things entirely selfish, as long as you do not take the path of Doug and TC.  You need to read Mudwall's short tutorial on "Wedded Survival for the Hayseed Outdoorsman".   Copies are free. 

btw, the huge caddis hatch on a large river this time of year is a nice delight - lucky you two

Beetle

J- I have witnessed that caddis hatch for many years on the James.  They are big and dark grey and it is prolific.  Glad you got to see it.   The smallies do eat them.

Ignore creepy Uncle Muddie!

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on October 31, 2013, 09:26:42 AM

You're a fine young man, and your marital status is in its infancy, so "mixed motives" remain, what seems, an option.  Some years down the road your motives will metamorphose into things entirely selfish, as long as you do not take the path of Doug and TC.  You need to read Mudwall's short tutorial on "Wedded Survival for the Hayseed Outdoorsman".   Copies are free. 

btw, the huge caddis hatch on a large river this time of year is a nice delight - lucky you two

:laugh:

Quote from: Beetle on October 31, 2013, 09:48:45 AM
J- I have witnessed that caddis hatch for many years on the James.  They are big and dark grey and it is prolific.  Glad you got to see it.   The smallies do eat them.

Ignore creepy Uncle Muddie!

Prolific is an understatement.  I felt like I was out west for a second....and then I got a whiff of the factory and sight of the garbage on the bank and I was back in Lynchburg.  I didn't see a single fish rise to them but I'm sure all the smb and panfish are hunkered down for the winter. 

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Big J

musky

Years ago when it was legal to fish there, There use to be a little old man that sat on the rock wall almost every day with and antique baitcaster and rod with a dough ball on the hook.  He must of been close to 80 years old or so and fished there almost every day.  Can't remember the guy's name anymore, when I use to patrol that area, some days I would sit down beside and learn "history".  He would tell stories from everything form picking up women to "the war" to politics, to fishing.  Some days I probably sat down there listening and learning for an hour or two.  The old man also caught a lot of carp, and fought them on that little antique rod.  Someone posted the property at the dam, and we never saw the man again.  Amazing what you can learn from your elders.... This picture made me think of that little old man, If any of you all fished this area a decade or so ago, you probably use to see him sitting up there.

DRIFTS

Cool stuff there Mr. Musky, bet those stories were cool. I hope I dont look 8ty though. hard to beat a cold unthat fountain feels nice on a blistering hot dayjacobs war woundwrapn things on up
l><))))))))))))))))),/*>~----------------------dave

benben reincarnated

Nice effort.  Beats sitting at work thinking about fishing.   b';

Dougfish

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on October 31, 2013, 09:26:42 AM
.....your motives will metamorphose into things entirely selfish, as long as you do not take the path of Doug and TC.

WTF? No sane man should follow my path. A rutted quagmire of manure, broken bottles and discarded tires.
I did fondle new fly rods today.

bullship

Only 9,400 casts left to go +/-....

It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot