Bluelining, calf busting expedition

Started by diaz dassie, February 19, 2011, 19:10:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diaz dassie

Since the weatherman was reckoning the temps would be way above avg this weekend, I decided to let 'er rip. Foulhook and I missioned up thru private land to a State Park stream only to find that this little RIB (rhodo infested bitch) is a mere 2feet wide. Off to Plan B. fished a blueline off the Parkway and saw very few fish, this stream doesn't have numbers but sure makes up for it with the rogue 12-14" wild browns who for some reason show up quite often. It too is a tiny stream, but has some nice pools and alot of cover to sneak up on the fuckers -0- Foulhook's new 6'6" broomstick will surely afford him more opportunity to tear up the fish on the bluelines now ;) He had the bazooka last year :o
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Heres Foulhook showing off and then bagging fish of the day the bassturd b';

I came to the party with a pune brookie, very unusual to find them below the falls...look carefully, looks like some rubbish heron took a swing at him.

Overnight temps were not too bad, but somehow, I still ended up freezin my ass off in my new tent.
Today I attempted the impossible. A little known bleuliners dream was there, waiting for me to take aim at it, except there was no trail alongside a feeder stream, probably just as well, because the hike back up would make the "house of pain" or the "Gold Mine" seem like a stroll through the Shopping Mall. I didn't make it down tothe bottom this time, but between my burning calves and heavily chaifed ankles, and a case of PBR Im gonna plan a counter attack, some folks on here have access from the bottom, if I were them, I'd keep the lips sealed too...u lucky  p;- -p-
Heres evidence of the oh so sketchy terrain:

I have some contacts in the various Departments of North American Fresh Water Fish Research and they send me electro shock survey info occasionally, when I saw the reports coming in on the brookie populations on some of these feeders, I almost shat myself. The pic above is of the headwaters of a feeder. I musta spooked between 30-40 4"-8" brookies while I was attempting the roller coaster hike downwards.
I started having doubts about what I was doing and this is never a good omen. I bailed swiftly back uphill, hopped in the car, busted North bound on the BRP and fished two streams in VA. The 10"+ pf snow on the ground up on the VA section of the parkway is just retarded.
Southern VA Streams? Heavily poached? Maybe, water temps anything but optimum? gotto be, 39F is cold as all hell, dunno how I even managed to coax one from under a rock...

It's the first time in 3 years I managed to get on a blueline in February, mostly because bluelines are no place for anyone this time of year, iced up box canyons, frozen cliffsides, dodgy loose rocks etc, so I hastily retreated back to the safety of my home in Raleigh. It certainly was a treat to get to fish this early on, have some good company, catch all but two fish and of course, gulp back some nice beer for a change in the parking lot -0-

Hope everyone had a kick ass weekend ;D

possessed

As usual, damn fine report.  Froze your ass off in your new tent, huh?  Not good, I'm planning to camp Tuesday and Wednesday night in the GSMNP, I am sure I will freeze as well. 

blue ridge angler

good stuff man..looks like a damn fine time, and fat tire at the end of the day..can't beat that shit..

FoulHook

Wasn't too bad a day. Ready for spring hatches though.

My new setup
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Holmes

alright whitey you done caught 2 o dem fish, n petey caught 115 in dis hood... when u get up in dis hood, i'll get you on em like nuthin else.

dat report was right on nice pictures

Woolly Bugger

all right then, we can call you a poacher and a trespasser  :-*
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 20, 2011, 12:09:15 PM
a trespasser  :-*
Poacher? Hmm, trespasser? Yes. I like the taste of "legal stockers" between the 1st Sat in June. I usually catch a bunch of em the night before and keep them on a stringer, the next morning, I have my "limit" :laugh:

diaz dassie

Quote from: FoulHook on February 20, 2011, 11:26:10 AM
My new setup
Good thing you removed the sticker off the butt that says "made in China" We may not have been able to see you n your camera in the reflection >:D

FoulHook

Quote from: Transylwader on February 20, 2011, 14:35:16 PM
Quote from: FoulHook on February 20, 2011, 11:26:10 AM
My new setup
Good thing you removed the sticker off the butt that says "made in China" We may not have been able to see you n your camera in the reflection >:D

It's a testament to chinese craft to show that shiny butt.
Quote from: Transylwader on June 03, 2011, 21:56:17 PM
The Davidson. It's full of wild fish.

Get Bent

I bet you are sore for a week after that escapade  {S;  good to see you city slicker ass get out  'c;
Konichiwa Bitches!

OldDominionAngler

Mighty fine report.   Better to get them legs in shape now and ready for spring...I overestimated a hike on Friday and realized I AM NOT in shape, still paying for it today.