unlimited it's the water, stupid

Started by Woolly Bugger, March 04, 2019, 11:37:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on July 21, 2019, 11:21:54 AMBattlefields part of drinking water protection effort

QuoteAbout two miles from the heart of Shepherdstown is the site of the bloodiest battle in West Virginia during the American Civil War. More than 600 Union and Confederate soldiers died in a two-day battle in September 1862.

The Battle of Shepherdstown may have been small in comparison to other battles of the Civil War, but historians agree, the battle not only halted the Confederates' northern invasion, but it also opened the door for President Abraham Lincoln to issue the Emancipation Proclamation.

Since 2011, the site of the Battle of Shepherdstown has been a protected historic landmark. The battle site also happens to be at a unique location — along the Potomac River. The Potomac provides drinking water to Shepherdstown residents, and other nearby areas.

https://www.wral.com/battlefields-part-of-drinking-water-protection-effort/18518550/

Sharpsburg/Antietum is just across the river. Real bloodshed.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 02, 2019, 12:14:27 PMControversial Pesticides Are Suspected Of Starving Fish

https://www.wfdd.org/story/controversial-pesticides-are-suspected-starving-fish

Many people do not understand the secondary impacts of herbicides on insects.  It may not be the chemicals that are diminishing the populations.  I'm of the opinion removing various varieties of vegetation diminish the nectar, resins, and pollen, insects need to survive.  Insects need a continuous flow of food throughout the course of the active season.  Once cannot expect a human to live off of mac and cheese for 6 months, and starve the remaining six months....and this is what some insects are having to contend with in heavy ag areas down east.

That being said, no till farming has been a boon for my bees.  Fields around my bee yard are covered with chickweed, deadnettle, and gillflower during the Winter months.  When the fields are sprayed, other sources of nectar such as poplars, apple trees, and clover, and hedge are available.  That being said, the latter are becoming less available due to deforestation and field sanitizing.

Woolly Bugger

n!n

SEATTLE -- In a report released this week, a national group highlighted Chinook salmon as one of the top 10 species imperiled by pesticides.
The Endangered Species Coalition released its 2019 report, Poisoned by Pesticides, which included Chinook salmon. The report said pesticides sprayed nearby reach rivers and enter salmon streams through contaminated runoff, killing salmon prey and impacting salmon's ability to swim and evade predators.
The report also linked the toxic salmon to the critically-endangered southern resident orcas, which primarily rely on fatty Chinook salmon to survive and are impacted by toxins when the whales are nutritionally deficient and access fat storage, where toxins are also stored.

https://q13fox.com/2019/11/01/national-group-says-pesticides-poisoning-pacific-northwest-salmon/

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

QuoteThe Federal Energy Regulatory Commission on Monday is expected to rule on a company's request to pursue a permit to build two hydroelectric dams on the Little Colorado River not far upstream from the main Colorado River as it flows into Grand Canyon National Park.
The plan envisioned by Pumped Hydro Storage, LLC, of Phoenix, is to construct one dam rising 240 feet above the Little Colorado and another 140 feet high. The proposed Navajo National Salt Trail Canyon Pumped Storage Project would also include six 250-megawatt, turbine-generator units, for a total installed capacity of 1,500 megawatts, a 20-mile-long, 500-kilovolt transmission line from the powerhouse to the existing Moenkopi switchyard, and related facilities.
At peak capacity, such a setup would have an average annual generation of 3,300 gigawatt-hours, according to FERC.
The current filing, if approved by FERC, would not allow the company to begin construction. Rather, it would "grant the permit holder priority to file a license application during the permit term."
Opponents fear that if the project is eventually approved, it would harm the endangered humpback chub and most definitely disrupt the ecosystem within Grand Canyon National Park.

https://www.nationalparkstraveler.org/2019/11/dams-proposed-little-colorado-river-upstream-grand-canyon-national-park

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

New book out on the history of the Colorado water rights mismanagement!
https://amzn.to/2rUUxly

Politicians knew the inconvenient truth about the Colorado River 100 years ago — and ignored it

QuoteEarlier this year, the seven states that depend on the Colorado River made history. For the first time, Arizona, California, Utah, Nevada, Wyoming, Colorado, and New Mexico agreed to find ways to reduce the amount of water they draw from the river as levels drop further at Lake Mead, the largest reservoir in the country.
The Colorado River provides water for 40 million people. But its flows are shrinking as the planet heats up, reducing the snowpack that feeds the river and causing more water to evaporate as the river snakes its way from the Rocky Mountains to the Gulf of California.

But even if climate change weren't an issue, the Colorado would probably still be in trouble. Back in 1922, when states originally divvied up water from the river, they grossly overestimated the amount of water flowing through it. This set in motion a series of decisions that led to the shortages today. States are dipping into Lake Mead's reserves, overdrawing 1.2 million acre feet of water annually — enough to quench the thirst of a couple million households for a year.

https://grist.org/climate/politicians-knew-the-inconvenient-truth-about-the-colorado-river-100-years-ago-and-ignored-it/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

read the full story

How Removing One Maine Dam 20 Years Ago Changed Everything

Welcome to the first edition of "Turning Points," our new column examining critical moments in environmental history when change occurred for the better — or worse.

More than 1,000 people lined the banks of the Kennebec River in Augusta, Maine, on July 1, 1999. They were there to witness a rebirth.

The ringing of a bell signaled a backhoe on the opposite bank to dig into a retaining wall. Water trickled, then gushed. The crowd erupted in cheers as the Edwards Dam, which had stretched 900 feet across the river, was breached. Soon the whole dam would be removed.
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

For first time in 20 years, feds take deep look at hydroelectric dam removal on Lower Snake River

QuoteThe futures of hydropower, salmon and orcas in the Pacific Northwest are at stake in the first assessment in 20 years of the environmental effects of dams on the Columbia and Snake rivers.

Federal agencies are set to release a draft environmental impact statement (EIS) of dam operations on Friday, opening a 45-day public comment period. On the table will be a range of alternatives for operation of 14 dams in the federal Columbia River hydropower system, including a preferred alternative.

The review was required by a federal judge in 2016, and must, among other things, assess dam removal on the Lower Snake.
It's the first new look at river operations across the entire Columbia Basin since new challenges have emerged for endangered species and the region's power grid.

A warming climate has made both ocean conditions and the freshwater river environment tougher for salmon. Another endangered species has also been listed since the last EIS: the endangered southern resident orcas that frequent Puget Sound.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/for-first-time-in-20-years-feds-take-deep-look-at-hydrodam-removal-on-lower-snake-river/
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

World Water Day: 11 Rivers Facing a Danger of Drying Up in America
These 11 rivers in the United States are at risk of drying up very soon.

https://interestingengineering.com/world-water-day-11-rivers-facing-a-danger-of-drying-up-in-america
me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?