Smith River generation question.

Started by Big J, October 13, 2011, 11:45:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Tomato Can and me are thinking about hitting the Smith next week but I'm unfamiliar with the Smith River.  I was wondering how floatable the Smith is when they are generating during the week?  I know some tailwaters you can't float unless they are generating and some tailwaters where generating water makes floating  it unsafe.  Thanks in advance.

5xTippett

Jay, Call 276-629-2432 and get when they are generating.  I would fish when they are not generating.  However, I've never fished out of a boat in that river.

Big J

Quote from: 5xTippett on October 13, 2011, 12:47:21 PM
Jay, Call 276-629-2432 and get when they are generating.  I would fish when they are not generating.  However, I've never fished out of a boat in that river.

Thanks.

Al

5X's ADVICE IS GOOD SPOT TO START.

You can not float the upper river unless they are generating because it is too shallow. Some folks float it with canoes and rafts and fish during or immediately after generation with good results. I have never seen anyone trying to fish and float using a toon during generation and expect you would be in trouble before long as the water moves right along and makes a few turns which a toon might not take to well.  Folks do a lot of kayaking during generation but have never seen any of them fishing.

Toons and kayaks are good on the lower river between generation cycles to get from hole to hole, many of which are too deep for wading.

gamatt53

Bring some BWO's in all forms they were keyed in on them well last sunday. Could also be some cream midges about this time of year. I would also suggest researching where the latest stockings have been and avoid those parts of the river as that is where the local bait guys will all be hanging out.

tomato can

Al:  its not a toon but a 14 foot cat with a fishing frame.  I've always wondered if you could float farther downstream when the gen flow has spread out more.   & just bomb some large streamers.  But I do know you can not play with water also.

Al

Quote from: tomato can on October 13, 2011, 18:31:20 PM
Al:  its not a toon but a 14 foot cat with a fishing frame.  I've always wondered if you could float farther downstream when the gen flow has spread out more.   & just bomb some large streamers.  But I do know you can not play with water also.

Assuming it is a two man job I say go for it.   Just be sure you stay with the high water because once it drops you will be marooned until the next gen cycle.  Several canoe ramps now so do a little research and you will know where the next take out point is located.

dossphoto

You may already know all this...but....
Here is a map with most of the canoe ramps and a few parking areas.  http://smithrivertu.com/map.html

I like getting on the river about the time they are turning off one of the generators.  It seems like the falling water is best.  You just have to make sure you don't stop somewhere long enough for the back end of the high water to catch up with you.  The high water isn't going to spread out as much as you think.   Water depths during generation go up 4 or 5 feet.  And once they turn the switch off...it goes down pretty fast. 

The fish are gonna be a little more aggressive and take bigger flies than they normally do.  Don't be afraid to throw a size 10 or 12 attracter fly.  Streamers will work, but I have honestly had better luck with dries for some reason. 

tomato can

dossphoto that is some good info.  Is there a float that you prefer? And if you put in at one of the lower canoe ramps, how long does it take for the water to start falling?  For instance if you were to put in at stanleytown and they stopped generating at 4 pm.  What time would you put in at Stanlleytown? 

dossphoto

I like putting in at Philpott dam and taking out at Bassett.  Smaller fish and colder water, but I like that section. 

These are a general rule for water getting from Philpott to....
Bassett Canoe Ramp - 2hrs
The Great Rd/CP Films - 3-3.5hrs
Fieldale Boat Ramp - 5.5-6hrs