News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Rip Van Winkle

Started by bamafisher, May 04, 2016, 12:12:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bamafisher

Holy sheet, I haven't been able to get on here in a while and seeing the amount of unread post almost made me want to just give up. Looks like I've got a lot of reading to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mathew 4:19
"The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot." Gen Mattis, USMC

Big J

You still fish?  I figured you gave it up.

bamafisher

Dude I've been losing my mind. Life kicked me in the nuts then in the ass while I was doubled over. I did manage to escape shortly to Montana for some fishing. I'll post something soon. Just now getting shot settled down. I plan on heading to SNP next weekend for some much needed wilderness time.

Then He said to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Mathew 4:19
"The first time you blow someone away is not an insignificant event. That said, there are some assholes in the world that just need to be shot." Gen Mattis, USMC

Big J

Quote from: bamafisher on May 04, 2016, 12:48:32 PM
Dude I've been losing my mind. Life kicked me in the nuts then in the ass while I was doubled over. I did manage to escape shortly to Montana for some fishing. I'll post something soon. Just now getting shot settled down. I plan on heading to SNP next weekend for some much needed wilderness time.

I might be able to get out if you need someone to tag along.  Hit me up. 

And Montana? Life sounds real rough........

Dee-Vo

I've entertained the thought of heading to Montana for a full week of fishing. A friend is going sometime during the next several weeks. Decisions, decisions.

Big J

Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 04, 2016, 13:00:17 PM
I've entertained the thought of heading to Montana for a full week of fishing. A friend is going sometime during the next several weeks. Decisions, decisions.

I'm very confused on the decisions, decisions part. GO.

bamafisher

Dude the trip to Montana popped up last minute and there was no way I was passing it up. Trust me I'm not complaining.

I eat Raman and instant mashed potatoes when I backpack....no steak. I'll hit you up with details if I go

Dee-Vo

Quote from: Big J on May 04, 2016, 13:01:12 PM
Quote from: Dee-Vo on May 04, 2016, 13:00:17 PM

I'm very confused on the decisions, decisions part. GO.

Work and child. I'm no tough guy when it comes to the boy, I'll miss him dearly. Work doesn't stand in my way of going, but it makes me afraid to come back and deal with the infinite amount of headache that I ultimately inflicted upon myself by leaving for a week.

Native Fisher

Quote from: bamafisher on May 04, 2016, 13:02:47 PM
I eat Raman and instant mashed potatoes when I backpack....no steak.

Screw that slop.  You can still eat good and backpack light.

bamafisher

If it involves more than boiling water it doesn't go. It better pack small and weigh little and have a lot of calories.

Dee-Vo

Same here. Very light. Very minimal. Like maybe a tent or hammock, or blanket, or maybe nothing, really.

Big J

While I can see the value in a light pack/light easy to make food, I love me a big heavy pack filled with food. I'm young.  Give me summer sausage, pita bread, steak, eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, the works.  Nothing better then a heavy hot meal before you go to bed.

Now I am planning a trip next year out west that involves a week to ten days in the backcountry, I will more then likely have to break out the peanut butter, granola, tuna, and ramen, but a few tubes of summer sausage may find it's way into my pack.

Look forward to the Montana pictures.

Native Fisher

I have a whisperlite stove so cooking is boiling water.  Lotsa meal ideas out there on the interwebs. http://www.cascadedesigns.com/msr/blog/category/recipes/

My backpacking lately is with the scout troop so I have to carry extras, backcountry first aid kit, 2 liter water filter, etc.  I try to max my pack at 35 pounds.

bamafisher

If you are only out for a day lots of food isn't bad but for longer trips you have to get creative. I mostly do freezer bag meals and I use an alcohol stove. There are some good recipes out there as well just gotta do the leg work to put them together.

Dougfish

I was sitting at 38 lb. until I lashed on the rods, reels, flies, other misc. shit, waders, boots, a couple of beers,  and 750 ml of vodka.
Wish I had the extra sleeping bag, too.
Jacob loves this shirt.  :laugh:

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006