News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Not a TR TR

Started by Big J, March 05, 2018, 09:12:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Dude

Chainsaw for the big stuff.  Machete for the small stuff. 

That set up grows semen in your coinpurse and increases blood flow to your wanker - no prescription needed.
I was born by the river in a little tent, And just like the river I've been running ever since, It's been a long, long time coming, But I know change is gonna come.

Onslow

An appropriately sized bow saw is worthwhile jangle for backpacking/hiking that involves big fire, or obstruction removal.  One of my old Troop's scouts would carry one.  He always made his own shelters.  Seemed like a good trade-off from my perspective.

Woolly Bugger

So there are a lot of reasons that I ended up in Virginia and didn't go fishing despite the fact that I drove into RCC, but I'm not going to talk about that.

I've seen the sign for the I.C. DeHart Memorial Park on every trip and it was about time to check it out.
I drove on in past the bog complete with a short boardwalk and continued on to what appeared to be a trailhead. There is a kiosk with a bunch of bike / hiking trails in a confusing color-coded map as many of the trials share segments.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I opted of the Tree ID trails and Yellow to go down along the creek and then up and over to the cemetery 1.5 miles plus the distance from back to the car from the end of the yellow trail Little Widgeon Creek looked fishy but for the reasons I'm not going to talk about I didn't fish it.

The cemetery is perched up on the hill overlooking most of the park.

For a history of the DeHart family check out this blog.
Those Pre-Pro Whiskey Men!: The DeHarts of Virginia: Moonshine in the Sunshine (pre-prowhiskeymen.blogspot.com)

There is also a small bog with a short boardwalk.

It's an interesting park with a lot of trails. The map indicates where the remnants of the old homesteads are and even a sill. There is plenty to explore here and maybe even fish that little creek. Mountain bike might be the best way to explore most of the park.

find the trail maps here https://www.trailforks.com/region/i-c-dehart-memorial-park-17464/
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

J and I were going to hit a small stream for a few hours on Sunday AM. I had to be back in town for Christmas tree purchases at noon.
Plans were finalized Saturday afternoon.
Then he crayfished completely out on me.  :o
Then he said he could fish, just later than worked for me.
So I decided to go separately. I gave him the money stream.
And I took a closer stream that I had not fished this year.
A west sloper. So the sun would not be on the water before I had to leave.
You see where this is going?
It was just above freezing when I rigged up and started up the main prong.
Fished a couple of hundred yards. Nada. Nothing.
Moving back down and up a trib that might get more sun.

Bodacious patches of Rattlesnake Plantain streamside.

Finally hooked a fish, and lost him.

I rounded a bend and started to get some sun on the water.
A couple of punes came to hand.

After five brookies that added up to 15-16", I pulled the plug. Climbed the hill. cracked a beer, found the trail and headed back to the truck.
Once I got the phone off airplane mode, a text came in.
J had not fished at all.  b'; 

Met the fam, got the trees and poinsettias. Worked the garden for a bit, showered up and lit a fire in the pit. Wine and charcuterie soothed me.

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Big J

About time I screw you over with fishing plans! Mr. drive by the road 4 times two weekends ago and "Matt's Creek" has brook trout in it!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on December 01, 2020, 09:15:21 AMAbout time I screw you over with fishing plans! Mr. drive by the road 4 times two weekends ago and "Matt's Creek" has brook trout in it!

Matt's Creek does have a nice population of brookies, if you believe the authorities.

From the website:

<In 2017, Matt's Creek was monitored for potential reintroduction of Brook Trout (Salvelinus fontinalis).  After sampling three 100 meter reaches of Matt's Creek, electroshocking data revealed a healthy assemblage of age-0 (YOY) and adult brook trout.  No further action required on reintroduction initiative.>
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

I fished that stream once by myself and then took Tranny up there after Doug reassured me he knew a guy who caught brook trout in that stream.  After two 5 mile round trips on that creek, you will have to provide more proof than that to get me there again!

Onslow

Quote from: Big J on December 01, 2020, 10:32:07 AMI fished that stream once by myself and then took Tranny up there after Doug reassured me he knew a guy who caught brook trout in that stream.  After two 5 mile round trips on that creek, you will have to provide more proof than that to get me there again!

I don't ever recall having any success whatsoever with Brook trout during the cold season. Browns will start munching around 4:15 PM, but being this is spawning season, It's all cockroaches until Feb.  I'll resume Brookie fishing when the tree leaf buds start bursting.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on December 01, 2020, 10:32:07 AMI fished that stream once by myself and then took Tranny up there after Doug reassured me he knew a guy who caught brook trout in that stream.  After two 5 mile round trips on that creek, you will have to provide more proof than that to get me there again!

Well, I got the Matt's Creek info from a trustworthy website, www.thesmellyramp.com.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

22midge

Woolly you were within 3 miles of my house up in Virginia......should have come by
\
never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

Dougfish

Still butthurt after all these years, J?  :Dance

Ken, I've got why bother winter streams, and some money winter streams. I think the better the springs that feed the creek, the better a winter bite. This was not a money stream.  b';

I wish we had more brown trout options.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Big J

Quote from: Dougfish on December 01, 2020, 12:54:33 PMStill butthurt after all these years, J?  :Dance

Only every time I drive by that parking lot for the trail access....... :laugh:

Dougfish

Glutton for punishment reporting for duty.
I had a meeting this evening in a certain direction. Good ol buddy stream was on the way.
Fishes slow in the winter. And last night was the coldest so far.
I hiked in a good ways at 2pm and jumped in. Saw this. First ice seen this winter.

Yep, I was wadered up.
It was slow going. It ended up that two guys had fished through there hours before.
(They exited right after I did. Dudes I know. They fished to the top and caught punes.)

I caught this bow to save the day. Fought like a champ.

Other than a couple of other little fish, it was a nice walk in the woods.

:cheers

Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

itieuglyflies

Onslow

Beats the heck out of reading the news.
Stout cockroach indeed. 
Hope to catch a few next week.