News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Fake News

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, October 11, 2017, 14:43:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

This must be the fake news I keep hearing about.  No way would this regressive country ever allow this sort of unorthodoxy. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/11/us/boy-scouts-will-allow-girls-to-join/index.html
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

jtdriver

I'm for it. Its much better tham girl scouts. And would love for my daughter to join. But I was a young lad once and know how boys think, and would never want my daughter with those boys on a camping trip.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Dee-Vo

What happened to Girl Scouts? Is it gone?

Onslow

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on October 11, 2017, 14:43:20 PM
This must be the fake news I keep hearing about.  No way would this regressive country ever allow this sort of unorthodoxy. 

http://www.cnn.com/2017/10/11/us/boy-scouts-will-allow-girls-to-join/index.html

I'm all for equal access and gender equality, but this move is wrongheaded, impractical, and compromises the girl scouts.  I see this as an enrollment grab, and nothing more.  The physical infrastructure at the BSA reservations are not equipped to handle any meaningful influx of girls.  Also, recruiting adequate numbers of female adult leaders won't be an easy task.  This is a logistics nightmare. 

Some of the male adult leaders are terrified of being accused of inappropriate behavior.  Some have told me they would quit if this change would happen for this reason alone.

The BSA should be actively recruiting 13+ girl scout alum for Venturing, and Sea Scouts.  The Summit award should be as prestigious as the Eagle due to the required rigor.  Armed Forces, employers, and college admission officers should not be so damned biased regarding these achievements.

Native Fisher

The Girl Scout program is still around but their numbers have been dwindling over the years.  IMO, BSA is trying to figure out a way to keep from being sued by all the special interest groups and increase their enrollment numbers.  They will be facing a very, very large decrease in enrollment if the Church of LDS pulls all their Cub Scout aged kids out of BSA to make their own program as they have stated.  This idea to allow girls in Cub Scouts is not crazy if it is done properly.  Cub Scouts must do all activities including meetings with a parent or assigned adult supervising them.  Parents nowadays just need to stop being "Drop and run" so they can go play or sit on their ass somewhere and take some responsibility for their kids. BSA is stating that girls in Cub Scouts would be in separate Dens from boys and I assume their adult leader would have to be female too.  I can see this working for Cub Scouting but I don't see it working for Boy Scouting.

Beetle

I'm with Ken on this.   This is going to be a nightmare.    They better sell some f*&%$ng popcorn.

Dee-Vo

rbphoto

follow the money . . .
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Onslow

For those who are headline readers.....

And have short attention spans

* Girls are tentatively to be allowed in Troops in 2019

* Girls are being permitted only in Packs for 2018

* There is no mandate forcing any Troop or Pack to accept girls.

* It has been implied that female Pack dens should attempt to stay segregated from male.

* COED Packs and Troops are allowed only if the chartered organization, committee, scoutmaster corp (troop), den leaders think it's a good fit for their unit.

* .Not sure about the Cubs, but at the troop level, any unit has the right to decline membership to anybody as they see fit.  It is the job of the District Executive
    to find homes for tough cases.

* The world has not come to an end in Scouting.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

If the military and the military academies accept females and can handle the irritation then any club with 11-17 year old boys should be able to endure the burden.     

Onslow

11-17 year olds are minors.  Huge difference.  Don't be gettin all non sequitur on me.

As stated earlier, Venturers can earn the Summit Award, and Venturing is a coed BSA program.  If employers, Armed Forces, academia cannot recognize the value of the Summit award, it is an issue of ignorance or bias on the part of aforementioned institutions and not the BSA. Activist minded females should be focused on that rather than being overcome with Boy Scout envy.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Onslow on October 14, 2017, 13:27:23 PM
11-17 year olds are minors.  Huge difference.  Don't be gettin all non sequitur on me.

Say what?  It should be an easier task with minors, particularly for a god fearing organization.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

This is an interesting matter for those in BSA, and certainly thought-provoking for folks, like me, who know very little about the BSA. 

From the BSA site:

"....Scouting in Europe normally operates on a coeducational basis, with males and females having the opportunity to be equally involved at all levels."

If the Europeans can make it work, certainly Americans can give it a shot.  Plus, the BSA completely integrated in 1974, 20 years after our public schools, correct?  Better late than never – might be the same with embracing our young gals, so it might turn out OK.   

Phil

"If the Europeans can make it work, certainly Americans can give it a shot. "

Like actual affordable health care?

Onslow

Hiner is serving up more non sequitur casserole.  Boy Scouts implies boys, not white boys, and not girls.