News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Warmwater fishing

Started by CR, August 05, 2010, 21:20:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CR

We have been visiting with the extended family in the low-country of S.C. for a reunion of sorts: eating, hanging out and visiting. During past few weeks or so I was able to make it out a few times for some fishing, but hot weather and obligations made it tough to spend too much time on the water. One afternoon I put in at Sparkleberry landing for a little canoeing and fly fishing on the headwaters of Lake Marion near the inflow of the Congaree River. This is swampy area leading into the lake that presents in a series of wide channels and open flowage areas full of aquatic vegetation and lily-pads. Gators, some big enough to sink my ancient Sears Sportcraft boat with a tail swat, various water birds and otters were all spotted. Most of the bass and larger gills were sulking away from the heat but I did manage some nice bass as large as any brought to hand yet this year through the day. Some fish were seen jumping out of the water up to a foot after dragonflies and damsels, leaches were also a top food sours as many varieties were seen while turning over rocks-black sparkle-buggers and foam hoppers along with poppers were the best producers for most of the morning and late-evening bite. During mid-day heat Clousers worked well, especially chartreuse. Craw patterns and other were tried but the Clouser was one of the top large-fare flies used. A staggering slow hand-twist line retrieve was necessary (drinking can help with this) through the deeper lies to induce a strike, this is unusual as my best success with this fly is often on a fast retrieve with a sinking line.

"I Feel God In This Chili's Tonight"

bullship

It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

tbird4

Nice bucket mouth man! -0- hit me up if you want to hit a pond this w/e or just grab a brew.  Wife ain't down with me trout fishing again this w/e.

blue ridge angler

great stuff CR..
It has been tuff for bass around my way this year..
glad to see someone getting on them.. 'c; 'c;

bullship

tbird, did I see you on mtn island lake about a month ago? the dog looks familiar. i was in a jon boat spooking carp.
It's all shit, piss and bliss.

"This is the low rent district, and much like a trailer park, it doesn't attract the most upstanding citizens.
You can't piss in a mr coffee & get tasters choice."- Grannyknot

tbird4

Nah, wasn't I.  Your not the only one spooking them, if your right up on them they will scare the shiz out of ya.   :o

Al

Nice report and super photos. Good to remind ourselves that there is more to fly fishing then just trout.

CR

Thanks guys-

Tbird- Will give you a ring tomorrow man- should have some time in the afternoon!

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

Woolly Bugger

Good stuff, nice bucket, what's up with the radioactive shot  :o
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diaz dassie

Nice one brother, beeg 'ole bassers and I digs the last shot.
sterling report. Keep 'er up mate! -0-

CR

Just some Cazadores with a tiny splash of Grand Marnier and fresh squeezed lime Jiuce, you know the drill. Good stuff on a hot day, you can bring it pre-mixed in the Nalgene Bottle   ;D .

overbrook

Nice report....and that last flick with the chartruese clousers is pretty sweet! Well done  ;D