News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Montana questions

Started by diamonddave7676, July 14, 2007, 20:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

diamonddave7676

I am planning to book a trip to montana for a little fly fishing maybe this time next year and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some info on outfitters and places to stay and places to fish. I am looking for something for probably 3 or 4 days.

Trout Maharishi

MT is a big place. For the amount of time you are going to be there I'd stay in one place and fish the area out of there. Livingston & West Yellowstone are good places to start looking. If I were only going to be there 3 or 4 days, I might float a day or two and wade fish on my own a day or two. Don't get locked in to fishing just the big name rivers and creeks. Keep your plans flexable and allow your guide or outfitter to steer you towards the rivers that are currently fishing the best. These guys have helped me with my last couple of trips and would be a good place to start. Get on their weekly newsletter mailing list. Start looking now and don't put off booking the trip, The prime times and the best guides fill up quick during the best fishing times.

http://www.blueribbonflies.com/
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Peddler

You might try digging around on this site:
http://www.hydeoutdoors.com/outfitters/
I recall seeing some real deals there a year or two ago but then I don't know how much cash you're willing to drop for this trip.
If I didn't have standing plans each year with a bunch of us who go out west on the cheap, I might consider an outfitter/lodge/guided place like this. If you consider a guide trip out there is $350.00 to $400.00, the lodging/guide trip packages might not be such a bad deal.
Also, it's right on the Henrys Fork and not too very far from the Madison, Hebgen Lake and Yellowstone Park.

Just tossin' out options!
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

castaway

I can't imagine just going for that short a time.  Airfare is pretty steep, and at the altitudes you face, it can take a day or so to adjust.  The only time I hired a guide out there it was a total waste of time and money.  Get one only if you have a positive recommendation from someone for that specific guide.

Depending on the kind of fishing you are looking for, there is plenty of good fishing to explore.  The rivers around West Yellowstone can be good, but are generally crowded until at least well into September.  Out west, about all you have to do to find good fishing is walk away from the road a bit.  Most people are too lazy to get out of sight of their car.

If I were to look for an outfitter, there is a guy in Cooke City just outside of the NE corner of the Park who does horse packing trips that sure sound interesting.  If I knew my back could stand the horseback riding, I would go in a heartbeat.  While I don't remember his name. he is an Orvis endorsed guide so he should be easy to find.  Cooke City is a tiny town so there can't be more than one of them.

Most of my trips there have been at the end of July or beginning of August so I don't know what you can expect in mid-July.  Whatever you do, the place will absolutely impress you.  Cooke City is at around 7400 feet I think, and West Yellowstone maybe 6000(?) so you will be a good bit higher than here in the east.  It can get cold, and most trips we get a frost on at least one night.  That feels really good after mid-Atlantic heat and humidity.  If you are a beer drinker, be sure to try Moose Drool in a draft.

troutjedi

Give me a shout when you get to the planning phase, I can point you in some good directions and get you away from the tourists.  Bozeman is a great place to use as a home base.....you're within two hours of most of the great fishing in SW Montana.  You can fish yourself stupid in about three days here, but plan on spending at least five to hit all the high spots.

gardenboy

Peddler,

Can you expand on "Out west on the cheap"? How do you and your friends do it? My buddies and I want to go but we don't like the glitzy resorts and all that goes with it. We were thinking Yellowstone, Madison and add a few more places on a 7-8 day trip. Can you offer some advice?

Woolly Bugger

Peddler define cheap!

I'm going to Alaska next year for less than my Montana Trip!

That's on the cheap = 4 guys splitting lodging and car rental, cooking our own meals,

My Montana trip wasn't exactly cheap..

11 day trip

Airfare 600+
Car     300+
Food   200+
Gas     200+
Float   425+
License 53+

If you add lodging you really get on up there...

Best way would be to take 1 - 3 friends to split the cost...

BTW I also think that 3/4 days is way too short, stay 10 and fish till you puke....
If 3/4 days is all you can work then you might even consider sticking to one river like the Madison...you could camp for free (no shade) or cheap in the National Forest Campgrounds or even rent a cabin on the river... http://www.elwestern.com/rates/summer.html

There is so much water there.

On the other hands Bozeman offers easy access to the Gallatin which is polluted with trout. And there are plenty of small creeks to explore...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

diamonddave7676

yeah I want to go up there for at least a week but the guy I am going with doesnt want to leave his stupid wife for more then 3 or 4 days and he is a real cheap ass too.  LOL

Fire-Fly

Quote from: diamonddave7676 on July 14, 2007, 20:37:32 PM
I am planning to book a trip to montana for a little fly fishing maybe this time next year and was wondering if anyone would be willing to give me some info on outfitters and places to stay and places to fish. I am looking for something for probably 3 or 4 days.

Hey, i was planning a trip next year to go to yellowstone and fish for 7- 10 days, what i had thought about was flyilng out then renting an RV for the week to drive around the area and fish, was not going to use a guide was just going to do alot of research. The rv was about 80 a day. My buddy that was plannining the trip with me backed out so now i am not sure i will go. Anyway it was just an idea.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Fire-Fly on July 27, 2007, 17:24:45 PM
Quote from: diamonddave7676 on July 14, 2007, 20:37:32 PM

Hey, i was planning a trip next year to go to yellowstone and fish for 7- 10 days, what i had thought about was flyilng out then renting an RV for the week to drive around the area and fish, was not going to use a guide was just going to do alot of research. The rv was about 80 a day. My buddy that was plannining the trip with me backed out so now i am not sure i will go. Anyway it was just an idea.

Get a car and take a tent and dirt bag across the park there is soooo much water out there, heck i think you could fish the Gallatin for 10 days straight and not fish the same water twice...
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Fire-Fly

Wooly, i had looked at a car but, i found where you can rent a 16 ft rv for only $20 more a day.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Fire-Fly on July 27, 2007, 17:47:57 PM
Wooly, i had looked at a car but, i found where you can rent a 16 ft rv for only $20 more a day.
Cars from $22/day from Expedia...
Bozeman:
Economy Car            Counter and car in terminal           $22.00*           $249.36              Select
Compact Car       Counter and car in terminal       $22.00*       $249.36       Select
Midsize Car       Counter and car in terminal       $23.71*       $267.59       Select
Standard Car       Counter and car in terminal       $25.14*       $282.83       Select
Full Size Car       Counter and car in terminal       $25.14*       $282.83       Select
me -There's a season?

Damselfly

Firefly, I had the same happen with my trip last year- as soon as I bought the ticket, my "friend" backed out....I seriously debated not going, since I'd be solo. But I am SO glad I went!
I met up with Irish & ToonGal to fish a high mountain lake and drink through the FFF Conclave one night, hired a cowboy guide for a day pack trip to the Spanish Peaks, and other than that I flew by the seat of my pants the rest of the trip- fishing till exhaustion every single day, even adding a few days in the Tetons which I wasn't going to do. Don't decide not to go because you'll be alone- you're totally free then!
Plus, you may manage to meet up with folks from here out there too.
(I'm seriously debating going this Sept- all Woowie's fault!)

PS: Rent an SUV and plan on sleeping in the back. ALWAYS get the insurance. I was so sleep-deprived that on my last day I smashed into a dumpster- when I checked the car back in, the guy just shrugged it off.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Damselfly on July 27, 2007, 22:02:01 PM
PS: Rent an SUV and plan on sleeping in the back. ALWAYS get the insurance. I was so sleep-deprived that on my last day I smashed into a dumpster- when I checked the car back in, the guy just shrugged it off.

we want pictures... i never heard that part of the story!!!
me -There's a season?

Peddler

This year will be an exception because I was finally able to cash in on frequent flyer miles and fly free.
Other than airfare how about $2,245.00 divided between 21 trout bums + tip = $115.00 plus $75.00 for the food kitty? That's for lodging, all dinners and breakfasts.
We split vehicle rentals 3-4 ways and get SUV's or minivans for $290.00 for the week.
Incidentals would be lunches, guide trips (I ain't taking any this year), boat rental for half a day split two ways at Hebgen Lake, a $35.00 cabin for the night at the Roosevelt Lodge in the park and the biggest cash burner, buying flies, tying material and licenses at Blue Ribbon.
Cost is one reason I've gone out there 6 years running!
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.