News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

What a shit show.

Started by Woolly Bugger, January 06, 2021, 17:28:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Onslow

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/man-photographed-with-foot-on-desk-in-pelosis-office-is-arrested/

Barnett, who faces charges of violent entry and theft of public property, among other things

Dougfish

I have more twitter followers than 45!
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutrus

Many of these whackos label themselves as patriots, which I find rather confusing.   A review of the word reflects a history of various interpretations/usage in the English language over the years.
Seems that at times it was necessary to use "good patriot" to describe a true patriot.
Maybe it's time to revisit that idea.

"For much of the 17th century, words like good were attached to patriot to distinguish patriots who shared both a love of country and a common allegiance from those having opposing beliefs and loyalties: to be deemed a "good patriot" was to be a lover of country who agreed on political and/or religious matters with whoever was doing the deeming."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriot

Woolly Bugger

one 'patriot" was in the halls of congress yelling "this is our house, this is Trump's house"  FTG
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

Quote from: troutrus on January 08, 2021, 22:07:36 PMMany of these whackos label themselves as patriots, which I find rather confusing.   A review of the word reflects a history of various interpretations/usage in the English language over the years.
Seems that at times it was necessary to use "good patriot" to describe a true patriot.
Maybe it's time to revisit that idea.

"For much of the 17th century, words like good were attached to patriot to distinguish patriots who shared both a love of country and a common allegiance from those having opposing beliefs and loyalties: to be deemed a "good patriot" was to be a lover of country who agreed on political and/or religious matters with whoever was doing the deeming."

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/patriot

Yep. I would venture to guess the majority of those who support this sacking are those who are depressed, disenfranchised, and feel humiliated because they are not successful monetarily, or socially.  Enter the storytellers....

The storytellers are the creators of narratives.  These folks are in high demand because the world makes no sense, and neither does life. Storytelling has been around for a while, but folks like Herbert Armstrong, Rush Limbaugh, and many others, have learned how to monetize storytelling in the most spectacular way. It is my understanding the brain becomes addicted to hormones the body produces when it's angry.  Stoking outrage has been mainstreamed.  There is much money to be made, and the beast will never be killed until the country implodes completely.

Folks on both sides of the political spectrum have jumped on this bandwagon. The price society is paying now, and will continue to be, unmanageable. 

I sincerely feel bad for blacks that are treated horribly, and have been excluded from so many rooms in the house, and are scapegoated so unfairly. I'm  also empathetic to those whites who came from dirt poor families who are scorned for being white and poor. Only the ultimate losers are both white and poor (white on white bigotry) in the eyes of society. However, I feel most depressed about the story of the Native Americans. They were truly shafted in the most spectacular way.  But no one seems to give a damn about them, not even black folk.

That being said, there is never any justification for anyone to destroy the property of another person, enterprise, or public institution, and unfortunately, those who desecrated the House of the People will point to the violence and destruction that was allowed to run unchecked at the hands of Antifa, and the faux BLM types.  The rioters in Chicago, Portland, and Seattle year were not social justice warriors, and the goons that stormed the White House are most certainly not patriots, but are delusional folk making poor choices.

Onslow

Quote from: Dougfish on January 08, 2021, 20:13:26 PMI have more twitter followers than 45!

Is not twitter for twits and twats between the ages of twelve and twenty only?

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

Quote from: Onslow on January 09, 2021, 05:58:30 AM
Quote from: Dougfish on January 08, 2021, 20:13:26 PMI have more twitter followers than 45!

Is not twitter for twits and twats between the ages of twelve and twenty only?

So which one are you calling me?
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

troutrus

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 07, 2021, 18:15:01 PMI read that the other fatalities succumbed from being trampled in the mob.   

"I put my arm underneath her and was pulling her out and then another guy fell on top of her, and another guy was just walking [on top of her]," he described. "There were people stacked 2-3 deep... people just crushed."
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/family-member-trump-supporter-trampled-043623716.html

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

All this talk of Twitter and tweets reminds me of a personal story – might get a yuk or 2 and add some lightheartedness to this screwed up era ("shit show") we're tackling.

It was my last fall semester (2015) of instruction at VT.  The setting was McBryde 100 (any Hokie is familiar), a large auditorium seating ~500.  The class was Insects and Human Society, an entomology course for the non-science major.

First day of class was the only day I'd address the class from the stage; the remainder of the semester I'd mingle through the auditorium, miked up, with laser pointer in hand.  On the first day I'd review the class syllabus, grading, attendance policy, etc. and give them my dog-and-pony-show speech about how the syllabus was essentially an unsigned contract between me and them.  My "contractual' responsibility was to show up ready to enthusiastically teach every day of class and their obligation was to show up ready to learn --- simple agreement.

On the first day, after all the formalities, I'd disclose many of the chinks in my armor, exhibiting decorum of course.  I never revealed my lust for Katy Perry or my toe ring fetish – stuff like that.  My flip phone, which I still have, was the ice breaker.  I'd whip it out, show the students, and ask how many apps that thought I had.  Their answer was always 1 or 2 or the correct answer of none.

This particular opening day of fall semester, I told the class (~75% freshmen) that I was not on Facebook, I did not tweet, and I did not twerk.  A handful of the young females on the front row started to giggle, so I inquired why they were laughing.  One of the gals stated they could not imagine me twerking.  I then responded maybe I did not know what twerking was and is it not a derivative of tweeting.  A resounding 'no' followed by mass laughter.  I was then directed by the class to visit Miley Cyrus after class when I returned to the office. 

I remain lightyears behind when it comes to pop culture. 
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

troutrus

Quote from: Phil on January 09, 2021, 09:42:23 AMRacism plays a big part in this shit show.
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/storming-the-u-s-capitol-was-about-maintaining-white-power-in-america/?fbclid=IwAR2l4w1YJh1kQPsOf68klvkyiR_-N7ZglpNnWNjpUltE-zZHf4pGaOtKHXc

LBJ summarized it best:

"If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you."

― Lyndon B. Johnson

troutrus

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on January 09, 2021, 11:15:56 AMWingnuts

https://apple.news/AYeM7cEfxQs6SNvjJILH3Og

You cannot view this attachment.

If he ends up sitting in a prison cell, he may have time to read about how his compatriots were referred to as suckers and losers by trumpsky.