Where to find smallies on the Smith River?

Started by jwhop3, September 18, 2009, 20:35:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jwhop3

I live in Rocky Mount, VA, and usually fish the James for Smallmouth, but would like to fish the Smith because it is closer to home. Do I need to go below Martinsville to find warmer water or would Fieldale be warm enough?
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

phg

Shane Pinkston can probably give you better information, but I believe you need to go below the dam in Martinsville.  I've never heard of anyone catching smallies above it.  The discharge from Philpot dam is cold enough to support trout all the way to Martinsville. 

22midge

never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

jwhop3

Thanks, guys. Pretty much what I figured. I'm hoping I can find good water on the VA side, as I don't want to buy a Tarheel license for just 1-2 miles of water. We really should be able to get a reciprocal license for the Smith and the Mayo, as most of the water flows from VA. Nothing against NC, it's just that when I find good water, I like to return to it a lot. a 5-day out of state permit just won't do.
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."

~by Doug Larsen~

dossphoto

Have you fished or had any luck in the Pigg or Blackwater??

jwhop3

I have read of Smallies in Pigg, but towards the Leesville Lake end, and their numbers aren't good. Blackwater is probably my best bet and I'm going to check out the access and takeouts between "The Ford" and Brooks Mill tomorrow. According to the Franklin Co Blueways pamphlet, you can put in at Brooks Mill and paddle upstream for the best fishing of this arm of the river, but I have heard from others where the takeout gets clogged up with fallen timber and trash pretty quick. We'll see, and maybe post some pictures of my findings.

I've also been reading about Rock Bass and Roanoke Bass in Pigg River, and the access at Lynch park is good enough to also paddle upstream a mile or so and float back down. Sure wish they'd hurry up and blow that hydraulic out at Veterans Park at Riverside.

Thanks for the reply. Great gallery by the way, on your website. You've got a great eye behind the camera.

~by Doug Larsen~

jwhop3

Blackwater looked awful at "The Ford" and at the Brews Mill bridge. way low, barely floatable and just didn't look "fishy" at all. Lots of silt, and no rapids or riffles visible. I figure this spring during higher waters, or if we get much rain this fall, I'll float it just to scout the water better.

~by Doug Larsen~

dossphoto

Thanks for the info.

I took a long lunch a few days ago and walked down the cornfield there at the dam on powerdam rd.  The water there actually looked pretty good.  Jumped several wood ducks(may have to pay them a visit in a few weeks).  I know several people that fish it down next to the Pitt. county line with fairly good luck. But that is just a little bit to far for an after work visit. 

Thanks for taking a look at the website.  I keep my facebook page updated a little with newer stuff. 

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Henry-VA/Darrin-Doss-Photography/68592687462?ref=mf

Onslow

Bump.

Had a chance to dip some flyline into the Blackwater yesterday on my home from work(SML).  Waded downstream from 122 for about half mile.  Water was too skinny and featureless except right at the bridge.  Many miles of inaccessible water downstream.  It may be worth it to explore via kayak upstream from the lake backwater, then wade and kayak pull upstream.  My first impression, this river sucks.

Stopped at another stream yesterday just west of the Smith River south of 58.  Drainage size was 85.5 sq. miles and altitude, 871'.  Very remote stream with lightly populated surroundings.  Great structure and pools, much more than indicated on GE.  Spent 45 minutes on the water and covered .6 of a mile.  Nailed a decent smallie within 15.  Impressed by the rocks, pools, and remoteness.

Al

Quote from: jwhop3 on September 18, 2009, 20:35:42 PM
I live in Rocky Mount, VA, and usually fish the James for Smallmouth, but would like to fish the Smith because it is closer to home. Do I need to go below Martinsville to find warmer water or would Fieldale be warm enough?

Differently below MV Dam. I'd even go below Mitchell River Bridge which is end of trout managed water. I've caught a few sunfish above the MV Dam but that is exception rather than the rule. 22 Midge advice of starting in Eden and working back upstream is good advice.

gonephishin'

Mitchell bridge to state line have decent numbers but not much size smallies, I've heard of better size around Eden. I used to live in Martinsville and floated southward a couple times... Below Smith river sports complex the browns get some nice size to them. Access is your biggest issue through there.... Mostly private land
"Eat, drink, and be merry....for tomorrow we die"