Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Hottest day of the year below Martinsville dam

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

AW doesn't have a dog in this fight, but they've been fighting on the behalf of whitewater kayakers successfully for years.  TU could learn a few things from the AW.  The AW is always involved in hydro dam relicensing if it affects whitewater paddleing. At some point, Philpott will need to be relicensed by the FERC.  It may be worth it for TU to open a line of communication with these folk.  I believe if TU were to make a cogent case about the disruptive nature of the weekend releases, perhaps the FERC will consider the facts and force the dam operators to be more inclusive to potential beneficiaries of the dam.

Onslow

I believe this part of the Yadkin holds trout.  A trib(Stony Fork) of the Yadkin that has a larger watershed w/lower altitude holds wild browns.  The trout at Stony Fork do not benefit from deep pools as they would at the Smith.  I doubt any die off will materialize.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

22midge

came thru there today and the river was full of boats from Pappa's  Pizza down river. Guess they got a lot of pictures for the grand opening and the newspaper articles. Guess the COE for sure has an asshole in its pocket.

never let a day go by without telling your children how special they are----make a child smile today and gain a friend for life

IFStultz

Ideally the guy will compromise on the weekend generation schedule and we won't have to hate each other. However up until this point it seems like he has friends in the right places and is using it for his own personal interest/ gain. We'll see. Maybe next year will be a drought year and the core will put the lake first and it won't matter.

IFStultz

Just a heads up if anyone had their fishing plans ruined by the increased flow today, I got in around 5:30 and the water came back down while I was floating so tomorrow should be good to wade. It was a bit stained but it'll probably clear up tomorrow.

Big J

I would pay good money to see Brian Williams as he reads these comments.  Bet you he calls up the redhead and she is yelling at you all through the computer screen.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on July 24, 2016, 07:46:39 AM
I would pay good money to see Brian Williams as he reads these comments.  Bet you he calls up the redhead and she is yelling at you all through the computer screen.

You really think BW and Cricket look at this site?

If not, someone needs to have BW review his DRBA Staff bio.  If you search Abraham Baldwin Agricultural College in Tifton, Georgia, there is no mention on the availability of a degree in Wildlife Biology.

Remember, there's nothing nastier than a bag full of crickets. 

"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

2016 - 64

"Don't get old," that's what dad says all the time. He'll be 92 in a couple of weeks. The other morning, he got up and feeling a bit restless, went for a walk. On the way back he fell. Mom found him at 7:15 while looking out the kitchen window. He had been there for some time. 911, fire – rescue arrived shortly and dad was transported to the hospital with a broken elbow. Knocked the wind out of his sails. Two screws and a cable, put it back together again. A week later we moved him to a rehab facility to get him back up on his feet. So going, maybe he'll get to go home in a couple of weeks. I've been running shuttle, transporting mom and the grandkids. I finally took the afternoon off and went fishing.

Stopped in at the snad shop and the guy ask what's up, when I told him I was going fishing, he looked at me like I was crazy and replied, " In this heat?" "Gotta go when you can, and it'll be cool standing it the cold water," I explained. It was 95 with high humidity. Nobody else was at the parking, I geared up and toted the cooler down across the field to the river. The first third of the way was in the sun and miserable. As I turned the corner I came into the cooler shade, the late afternoon was low and cast a shadow from the river bank trees. A bit more sun and then I was down the bank and into the coolness of the river. I shucked the cooler, my vest and waded out balls deep to cool off some more with a left over beer.
Iced down, the blow IPA was half tolerable.

Fished steamers for an hour, just a couple of blow ups, and when the sulfurs showed up I switched to dries. Caught a bunch of punes.

And a few better fish too.

The catching was pretty steady. The fog came off the river around 7 and got thicker as the evening wore on.

Beer and snad break.

Then back to catching...

It was getting late, but I could still see the fly through the fog and creeping darkness

This guy had a close encounter of the bird kind. Just before catching this fish I heard kayaks bumping their way down the river. As they passed behind me I commented that it was a nice way to cool off. There was no reply, strange, then I realized that they would be paddling in the dark as they had a ways to go to the take out....

Last fish of the evening....

Up the bank into the field for the walk back to the car. It was 85 at 9 PM.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Dougfish

Nice.  :banana-fu:

I'll join you late next week.
"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Woolly Bugger

2016 - 65

With dad in rehab, I've been visiting two or three times a day, but lately I've been trying to get back into a more normal routine and I've been jonesing for form streamtime. I came up with a plan to pack in the stove, a frying pan and some cured bacon to cook up a brace of 9" brown trout streamside! The days have been brutally hot, so after stopping in for breakfast with pops, I headed over to the GFs to mow her lawn, and no that's not a euphuism like "filling the growler" has become. Small lawn only took 40 minutes and I was finished by 10 and the clouds had help keep the temps from climbing above 80. Still sweat poured down my back, there were four Little Sumpins (7.5% ABV) in the fridge and I downed two before hitting the shower. I worked until three and then headed up to the river. Just out of town I pulled into a Stop n Rob for ice and noticed I forgot the TG-3, almost turned back, the phone will have to do.  I got ready to hike to the river packing up all the gear and little cooler with the rest of the Lagunitas along with a Citradelic and a few random cans of IPA. But before I hit the trail, thunder boomed and the sky over the ridge lit up.  I waited for a bit and drank a beer, later a check of the radar indicated that there was a chance that the storm would stay to the north and miss the river. So I picked up and headed down to the river, I only got about 50 feet when BAM, BAM, BAM, BAM, four lighting strikes so close that I jumped with each thunder clap. I went back to the car and drank another beer. Now confident that the worst was over I went out one more time and make it to the river in the now cool air. I waded out into the river and was tying on a dry fly, when it started to rain, I retreated to the bank, donned my rain jacked and opened another beer. I sat down on the bank and waited, waited about an hour and consumed another beer or two before the rain stopped. As soon at the raindrops stopped hitting the water fish began to rise. First cast brought a trout from four feet down up to smash the fly. Then I spotted another riser and got it a few cast later, this one was destined for the frying pan I told myself. I was stripping in line when a gaggle of Canada Geese took off and flew upstream, one of them catching my fly line and breaking off the fish. Motherfucker! I caught a few more punes, not quite pan sized, and then the river began to rise with the storm water coming in all muddy from a feeder creek and the fish turned off. I cooked the bacon and drank the last of the IPAs before heading out to Papa's Pizza and the drive home...

10:00 AM beer after mowing the lawn

I drove an hour and thirty minutes for this

Waiting for the rain to stop

me -There's a season?

Michael Toris

driver

Good reminder to get duck stamp. Only a month away until total goose destruction.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Michael Toris

Quote from: driver on July 29, 2016, 15:24:06 PM
Good reminder to get duck stamp. Only a month away until total goose destruction.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Fuck em up

VA has a 15/person limit for residential geese in Sept

driver

Same as NC. Unplugged guns and electronic calls FTW