Main Menu

Damn dams -- yadkin river

Started by Woolly Bugger, May 04, 2017, 20:25:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I guess one can dream about shad running up the yadkin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Onslow

I fail to understand the objectives being persued.  The flows below Tillery are severe impulse flows.  The Rocky does provide some stability below the confluence.   Point being the segment of water between Tillery, and Blewett ain't worth a crap.   Seems to me, resources would be much better spent improving the striper situation below Blewitt.

Stone-Man

Onslow
there is another small lake between Badin and Tillery which would certainly stop any migration. I have fished several times below Blewett and I think it to be a helluva chore to make a fish ladder to allow shad into the lake. Plus fish ladders to the next lakes. From the dam on Badin down to the small lake below is a helluva drop--- at least 100 feet.   Mega $$$$$$$ to get a shad into Badin and then Tuckertown and on to High Rock

JT

Onslow

Quote from: Stone-Man on May 05, 2017, 19:14:51 PM
  Mega $$$$$$$ to get a shad into Badin and then Tuckertown and on to High Rock

JT

I fail to comprehend how a fish ladder at Blewitt dam will benefit shad in any way.  Utterly pointless and a waste of money, unless one is on the receiving end of the funds.  That dough needs to be allocated to the restoration stripers on the lower Pee Dee.  There are stripers in the Pee Dee below Blewitt, but according to NC's regional fisheries biologist in that region, these are lake escapies, no anadromous stripers. 

I"m also under the impression there isn't enough research infrastructure to really assess this river in a comprehensive manner.  Two state agencies are working on different projects, with limited interaction between the two.

The Pee Dee between Blewitt and Cheraw  is almost a carbon copy of Roanoke between Roanoke Rapids Lake, and Weldon.  Same size, same stream bed gradient, and same flow patterns.  The Roanoke has had more desirable flows for stripers for a longer period of time, but there is clearly potential on the lower Pee Dee.

Woolly Bugger

Interesting article from a few years back. Question are American Shad being caught below Blewett now? And is there a capture and carry program currently active.

http://www.ashevillelivecam.com/2013/09/08/dams-destruction-will-help-bring-saltwater-shad-back-to-central-nc/

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

From 2016

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

Locals say no stripers yet this year hadn't caught any Americans either. One guy just pulled in two catfish back to back.

Progress / Duke hasn't moved any American Shad around dam this year but has in two previous years

Cut bait appears to be the winner over worms ...

This has been a live report by the Woolly Bugger!

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

One guy uses a cast net to catch these little shad for bait

me -There's a season?

Woolly Bugger

The Ukrainians are catching carp and catfish

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Are those carp, or small mouth buffalo?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on May 07, 2017, 14:54:42 PM
Are those carp, or small mouth buffalo?
Could be, my Ukrainian isn't all that good

me -There's a season?

Onslow

Some great footage of what remains of the coastal plain Fall Line rapids on the lower Pee Dee from Blewitt down to Cheraw.  Some of the best rapids are right at the state line.  This being said, when Blewitt Falls was built, it covered Blewitt Falls, which consisted of a 10' drop in .25 of a mile.   This is a lot of gradient for a river of this enormous size.

The upper portion of the Blewitt Falls lake (Grassy Islands) is primo smallmouth buffalo habitat.

Woolly Bugger

me -There's a season?

Big J

Man, I'd love to follow Woolly around for a week and see what he does/his interactions with people.  Follow in a none stalkerish/underwear burning way though.

Dougfish

Did that kid just quote Pulp Fiction?

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006