News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: bmadd on April 01, 2022, 07:17:55 AMI may have reread The Longest Silence more than any other book. It goes with me on most every trip.

Speaking of books that we read over and over, this one follows me everywhere.  There's more note scratching, underlining, turned down pages, and question marks in my paperback copy than I can count.  Need a fresh copy and always learn something new and exciting when revisited.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Rhody

My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

Trout Maharishi

If you like Mcquane this is a good one as well. :cheers
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

I've had this on hold for many many weeks, maybe I'll cancel it now
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 27, 2021, 11:48:41 AMAll the talk about Raven Fork led me to this interesting history of the Smoky Mountains written by timber "cruiser" Tom Alexander with photos by George Mesa and others. It is proving to be a look back in time — but no so long ago.

Historical marker honors photographer whose work promoted Asheville, mountains

https://wlos.com/news/local/historical-marker-honors-photographer-whose-work-promoted-asheville-mountains
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

trout-r-us

Very well done by the author.
A unique and interesting isolated population within the shadow of the masses, the residents of this vanishing island value their bibles, but doubt the science that suggests their island will relatively soon be just a memory.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment. 
"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

trout-r-us

400+ miles of adventure and history. Nicely done.

"No man ever steps in the same river twice, for it's not the same river and he's not the same man."
― Heraclitus

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on April 08, 2022, 15:30:08 PM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on February 27, 2021, 11:48:41 AMAll the talk about Raven Fork led me to this interesting history of the Smoky Mountains written by timber "cruiser" Tom Alexander with photos by George Mesa and others. It is proving to be a look back in time — but no so long ago.

Historical marker honors photographer whose work promoted Asheville, mountains

https://wlos.com/news/local/historical-marker-honors-photographer-whose-work-promoted-asheville-mountains

Western NC University has an extensive archive of Mesa's work. He was an amazing photographer and the places he was able to carry those huge box cameras was crazy. He was in large part one of the driving forces in the formation of the GSMNP and routed almost the entire AT through the park.
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Dee-Vo

Finished these two recently. Misery is super. The Only Good Indians was a little odd, and maybe silly to me; still a decent read.

Trout Maharishi

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login
― Charles Bukowski

trout-r-us

As a result of McMinn County TN school board banning this book from their curriculum, I was made aware of this unique graphic presentation of a holocaust survivor's experience.
The school board's reasoning of nudity and strong language leaves me perplexed, and has me wondering what might have been the underlying reasons for the ban.🤔
I would suspect that the average eighth graders in this day and age are exposed to much worse than this on a daily basis on TV and their personal devices.
Perhaps these are examples of what the board found so threatening. Not exactly hard core in my estimation, but everything is relative I guess.

I thought it was very well done and would recommend it for anyone interested in the topic.
You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.   
― Heraclitus

Dee-Vo

Finished another one.

trout-r-us

For me, this is one of those books that I never feel I have finished reading.

"Our life is what our thoughts make it". Marcus Aurelius

― Heraclitus

TylerDurden

Just finished reading Libra by Don Delillo. Historical fiction about the assassination of JFK that embraces the theory that the CIA orchestrated the whole thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Listen up, maggots. You are not special. You are not a beautiful or unique snowflake. You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.

trout-r-us

"Life [had] replaced logic."  FD

― Heraclitus