Main Menu

2015 Warm Water

Started by Big J, January 01, 2015, 18:32:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dougfish

Nice bote. Nice fish.  'c;
Bigger net FTW.

driver

I have a Coosa as well. It is a bitch to paddle on flat water. And a bitch to fish out of.  A mouse fart will spin that bote around.

Onslow

Quote from: driver on August 19, 2015, 06:52:50 AM
I have a Coosa as well. It is a bitch to paddle on flat water. And a bitch to fish out of.  A mouse fart will spin that bote around.

Go with the flow, dude.  Quit trying to fight the elements, and forcing the bote.  If floating an 8 mile stretch, it won't matter much if you blow past a couple hot spots.  The Coosa is a much more user friendly boat than my $399 Perception Prescador, and I manage well with mine. I do have a speed advantage when things get snagged on the bottom in fast moving flow.  I can crank 4 mph in short bursts.

It is important however to select rivers that are well suited to kayak fishing if you are pursuing a substantial downriver float..  If a stream is small, I simply drag the kayak up the river and cast while wading, and then float back down to the truck.  I only do downriver floats on streams with drainage sizes that are at least 200 sq. miles with an average flow of 300 cfs, or if the channel is well over 100' wide.

Jeff Joyce aka Fish Whisperer swears the Discovery 119 is the most useful boat for the Piedmont of NC.  Tracking/trolling, and it's light weight are the the most notable pros. Jeff is one picky mofo, so if says the boat rules, than it does.  I've seen him cast while standing/ floating down shoals on the Roanoke and busting Stripers...that was cool as fukk.  The Coosa shines on higher volume rivers such as the Staunton, Roanoke @ RR, Yadkin.

driver

Mainly my problem is when I'm on still water or a low flow stream. Every time i pop a popper it turns. I mainly use the boat to get me to places to wade. 

If I buy another yak it will be something that tracks better.

themidge

I have a LL Bean Manatee 10 with these bad boys on the back. I custom made them, and while not perfect do offer some stability. Easy to take off when you just want to booze cruise down the river.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Onslow

Quote from: themidge on August 19, 2015, 13:14:36 PM
I have a LL Bean Manatee 10 with these bad boys on the back. I custom made them, and while not perfect do offer some stability. Easy to take off when you just want to booze cruise down the river.

There is nothing bad boyish about training wheels.

themidge

Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on August 19, 2015, 13:52:39 PM

driver

Quote from: themidge on August 19, 2015, 16:47:41 PM
Quote from: Phallus in Wonderland on August 19, 2015, 13:52:39 PM

Sounds about right [emoji3]

JMiller

I did about 8 miles out of mine today. Raised 11 muskies and got none to eat, but that's another story.

The Coosa does spin easily, but that's what I like about it. I can literally steer the boat with my rod tip as Im stripping in the fly. With my last kayak it took two or three oar swipes to get the boat around. I was also able to stand and cast down some riffles. Amazing.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Onslow

Quote from: JMiller on August 19, 2015, 21:20:37 PM

I did about 8 miles out of mine today. Raised 11 muskies and got none to eat, but that's another story.

You've got my attention.  When you do manage to wrestle one of these into submission whilst sitting your boat, please cover every detail.  Sounds entertaining and exciting, perhaps on par with oil wrestling a nekid female vamp.

Big J

Quote from: JMiller on August 19, 2015, 21:20:37 PM

More power to you musky fly fishing from a kayak.  Out of curiosity, how big of a fly were you using?

JMiller

Quote from: Big J on August 20, 2015, 06:58:30 AM

More power to you musky fly fishing from a kayak.  Out of curiosity, how big of a fly were you using?

This big.

But, Im thinking I may need to change things up a little. I hear they're a little more apt to strike when the weather cools, but I feel like for as many follows as Im getting, I should get more eats.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski

Big J

Quote from: JMiller on August 20, 2015, 08:01:42 AM
Quote from: Big J on August 20, 2015, 06:58:30 AM

This big.

But, Im thinking I may need to change things up a little. I hear they're a little more apt to strike when the weather cools, but I feel like for as many follows as Im getting, I should get more eats.

I had the same experience back on my last trip. 8 follows and not a single eat.  Everyone who was on the river I talked to that day had same experience. 

I usually give up musky when the rivers warm up around here unless we have an unusually cold spell for a few days.  From what everyone tells me, go small when it warms up.  I hear quite a few guys go 5 to 6 inch flies and lures for musky during the summer.  Worth a try next time.

JMiller

I'll try that. Going to get  back after them monday or tuesday.

I did finally get one a while back. No idea how to photograph one of these fish when you're by yourself.

― Charles Bukowski

Big J

Quote from: JMiller on August 20, 2015, 08:21:28 AM
I'll try that. Going to get  back after them monday or tuesday.

I did finally get one a while back. No idea how to photograph one of these fish when you're by yourself.

Congrats. 

From a kayak, that is the best you can do I'm sure.  Maybe find a spot to get out of kayak, set camera on kayak and do a self timer.

I got this picture solo with a dslr self timer, but a little easier in a boat.  Also have to be careful (during summer especially) with keeping them out of the water for any period of time.  Whole reason I don't fish for them in summer is they are hard to revive and definitely harder to catch in summer.  In theory they are easier to find in summer though.  Just look for good oxygenated water or cool spring creeks flowing into river. 

Good luck next week.