Fat Alberts at Lookout and camping at Portsmouth

Started by twinbridges, November 05, 2014, 12:37:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twinbridges

Left on Thursday for Harkers Island for a planned day of fishing on Friday with Capt. Rob at the Harkers Island Fishing Center.  The wind was blowing and was maybe going to get worse.  A good nights sleep and Capt. Rob shows up and we decide to go out to the Hook and have a look.  It was a bumpy ride and when at the hook no birds or fish.  We decided to head north a few miles and there they were.  They were a bit offshore.  Capt Rob said we will go out but not sure we "can live out there".  We get to crashing birds over speeding false albacore slashing bay anchovies!  The ocean is on fire.  I make two casts to fish I am looking at and suddenly the line flies away and the rod is bent near its limit.  In what seems like seconds I am 200 plus yards into the backing.  After about 15 minutes and 4 runs I get him to hand. Damn amazing fish.  Faster and stronger than anything I have caught on a fly rod.  For the next few hours we chase crashing birds and I manage to get 6 to hand. 

Oh, I lost a fly line to one I never saw but was happy not to break any rods.  This is an amazing experience.  If you ever get the chance don't let it pass by. 

And then the rest of the story.  Camp at Morris Marina in Atlantic to catch the 7 am ferry to Portsmouth Island on Saturday morning.  The day breaks bright and away we go.  The wind begins to howl and cruising the beach I see no fish being caught, but you still marvel at Portsmouth Island.  Late afternoon I find a somewhat sheltered area and go to raise the tent  and discover I have left the crank in the tent and it is gone!!
Cruise the beach with some hope of finding it.  No such luck.  The wind by early evening is 35-40 with gusts to 50 plus.  Sleep in the truck and it is rocking.  Finally at 2 am a friend with a truck camper invites me to sleep on fold down table.  At least I am not blowing down the beach.
Sunday the wind howls all day and so no fishing.  Get a cabin for the night and a ferry for Monday am.  Not exactly my plans for camping on the beach but always an adventure. 

Transylwader

Well played mayne. I missed my opportunity this season, but am very glad for the folks who managed to get on 'em. Reports have been insane. Good stuff bru!

twinbridges

Thanks,  as I told my friend and Capt Robb, I have a lot of vices and now I have added a NEW ONE!!

flatlander

Nice.  Fished with Rob once after Horsley's boat crapped out.  Good guy.

Rhody

Rob's a good un, give me a shout next time, I have been looking for somebody to share a ride at Harker's with !
My picture weighs more than your picture.
J.M.

twinbridges

So Rhody, maybe we need to make a plan for next year!