News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Very nice Phil.  I have been thinking about incorporating a shot timer into my range sessions. I also need to have more range sessions but Corona has really messed that up.

Big J

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/06/910194857/black-gun-ownership-rises-amid-pandemic-protests-for-racial-justice

Maybe something even Mudwall can get behind.  Big chunk of first time gun buyers going on right now is black females.  Hope as more people get educated on gun ownership and gun buying process, they learn that the majority of gun control on the books are due to racist intentions. 

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on September 08, 2020, 08:18:47 AMhttps://www.npr.org/2020/09/06/910194857/black-gun-ownership-rises-amid-pandemic-protests-for-racial-justice

Maybe something even Mudwall can get behind.  Big chunk of first time gun buyers going on right now is black females.  Hope as more people get educated on gun ownership and gun buying process, they learn that the majority of gun control on the books are due to racist intentions. 

What are you trying to say?

Is the gun culture in America a white privilege?  Is packing a gun in public also a freedom of whites?  Were inexpensive firearms banned (gun control I guess) in the south after the Civil War, so poor whites and blacks could not purchase them and threaten the racial hierarchy of the powerful and wealthy?  Did we cry "we need gun control" when the Panthers and Dr. Newton attempted to arm themselves?

Then, on the flip side, we gun-wielding, white Americans try to defend our status by opposing gun control, funding for schools, healthcare for all, etc.

Damn it all; I am confused!!!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Onslow

Is the ammo shortage legit?  I haven't purchased a box of bullets in over 20 years.

I'm considering purchasing a variety of poleaxes from Ragnarok, both short, and long handled ones. Hopefully LARP won't be taken to the next level come late November.

Big J

Quote from: Onslow on September 08, 2020, 19:55:48 PMIs the ammo shortage legit?  I haven't purchased a box of bullets in over 20 years.

I'm considering purchasing a variety of poleaxes from Ragnarok, both short, and long handled ones. Hopefully LARP won't be taken to the next level come late November.

Is ammo shortage legit? haha.  I haven't seen a box of 9mm in any brand or variety in 4 months at a store.  Online they want $1.25 per round of 9mm when you can find it.  Scary thing is, it is still selling at those ridiculous prices online.  This is easily worse than the 2012-2013 shortages and depending on what happens in November I expect this to continue for a while. 

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on September 08, 2020, 19:03:08 PMWhat are you trying to say?

Is the gun culture in America a white privilege?  Is packing a gun in public also a freedom of whites?  Were inexpensive firearms banned (gun control I guess) in the south after the Civil War, so poor whites and blacks could not purchase them and threaten the racial hierarchy of the powerful and wealthy?  Did we cry "we need gun control" when the Panthers and Dr. Newton attempted to arm themselves?

Then, on the flip side, we gun-wielding, white Americans try to defend our status by opposing gun control, funding for schools, healthcare for all, etc.

Damn it all; I am confused!!!

Back in the day gun control targeted the African Americans.  If the gun culture today is fighting against gun control wouldn't that make them fighting racism?  Sure you have your NRA fudds who believe the second amendment is about hunting who do not trust a black man walking through Kroger with a gun on his hip. But the majority of the true gun current gun culture is for everyone who is legally able to, and wants to, to have a gun.  I wasn't alive when all the events took place, but I would hope I would of been against all of those scenarios.  The Philando Castile case I was angry about. Just because it is easier, better optics, and more socially acceptable by non gun people for a white person to have a gun, doesn't mean it is condoned by me.  I'm fighting against that.  It is the politicians, media, and ignorance that fuels that, not me, not the majority in the gun culture.  I had a conversation with a non gun person who was feeling uneasy about a black man open carrying in a store.  I said "I have a gun concealed on me right now, if someone saw it at this store on me, would they have any reason to feel uneasy?".  They said "no".  I replied with "they have every right to open carry that gun as I do and I actually commend anyone who open carries". 

Right now you see gun control not targeting African Americans directly, but indirectly.  The political elites are putting taxes, permits, and fees on the right to own guns which pushes people in poverty or lower income out of the ability to own a firearm.  They put annual training requirements which cost money, permits which cost money, taxes on firearms which cost money, and taxes on ammo.  Someone that could maybe purchase a $200 firearm for their family now is looking at double that or more in some states.  All while the elite who are enacting that are unchanged because they are walking around with private security or even publicly funded security.  Oh the hypocrisy.  Guns for me, but not for the peasants.

troutrus

I recall when there were shortages during Obama admin that there were cries of gun rights being violated.
So, who now is being blamed for shortages?

Big J

Quote from: troutrus on September 09, 2020, 08:31:52 AMI recall when there were shortages during Obama admin that there were cries of gun rights being violated.

More gun control has been passed under Trump in 4 years than 8 years under Obama.  You are barking up the wrong tree.  The bumpstock ban using an executive order with ATF is the most atrocious piece of gun control in the history of gun control.  The President literally changed a definition that was voted on by congress in 1968 with a stroke of a pen.  The precedence this sets is horrifying. 

hcrum87hc

Quote from: troutrus on September 09, 2020, 08:31:52 AMI recall when there were shortages during Obama admin that there were cries of gun rights being violated.

Current shortages are due to a run on all things gun related.  This occurs every election year, but it's been made much worse this year due to riots and COVID.
Jeremiah 17:7

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Onslow on September 08, 2020, 19:55:48 PMIs the ammo shortage legit?  I haven't purchased a box of bullets in over 20 years.

My sources say that it is flying off the shelves... 9mm especially is "ripped" from the hands of the associates restocking the shelves when a shipment comes in...

and while their store has no limits on purchases, they ask the customers to be considerate of others, as they continue to empty the shelves and purchase as much as they can... ammo sales are 300% above last year...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Woolly Bugger

Note from the gun counter: Sales after the election have been off the charts, 30-40 handguns per day, up 300% above last year.
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

rbphoto

Since I haven't been fishing lately (planning to fix that Thanksgiving weekend), here are some sighting in pics:

.17HMR bolt action - started low & left.  Quick adjustments got it a hair low at 75yds.  Good enough for coyotes.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

.308 Ruger Hawkeye - started way high, slowly worked it down and got tired of micro adjustments.  Shot 6 is just a hair low at 75yds.  I never shoot it at anything longer and rarely even that long.  Forgot how crisp the factory trigger is on this one.  Not getting a Timney for it anytime soon.  Maybe a new stock. 

.30-06 Rem 700 - love this gun, but it is just not as accurate as it used to be.  May be time for a new barrel.  After being about 3' off to the right last week, I bore-sighted it and got it about 6" left of center that day.  Adjusted it too far right and finally settled in to where I know I will kill whatever I shoot at with it.  Still at 75yds, when it used to group tighter at 200 . . .

"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish

Big J

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 17, 2020, 09:07:55 AMNote from the gun counter: Sales after the election have been off the charts, 30-40 handguns per day, up 300% above last year.

The most interesting fact in your statement is the indication that you might have a relationship with people that work a gun counter or at least visit the gun counter semi regularly.

And kiss ammo goodbye until indefinitely at this time.  Vista Outdoors just said they are backlogged 1 year and $1 Billion on contracts.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/vista-outdoors-ammunition-backlog-billion

Manufactures are just pumping out 9mm and .223 right now and can't even keep the supply chain steadily stocked, even with a lot of ammo being priced at $1 a round!  I've never seen anything like this, even comparing it to 2012 and 2013.

Onslow

Quote from: Big J on November 17, 2020, 10:26:28 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on November 17, 2020, 09:07:55 AMNote from the gun counter: Sales after the election have been off the charts, 30-40 handguns per day, up 300% above last year.

The most interesting fact in your statement is the indication that you might have a relationship with people that work a gun counter or at least visit the gun counter semi regularly.

And kiss ammo goodbye until indefinitely at this time.  Vista Outdoors just said they are backlogged 1 year and $1 Billion on contracts.

Manufactures are just pumping out 9mm and .223 right now and can't even keep the supply chain steadily stocked, even with a lot of ammo being priced at $1 a round!  I've never seen anything like this, even comparing it to 2012 and 2013.

I'm a cheap bastard, and would rather die then spend money on ammo.  Good will, and manners cost nothing, but add value. I'm not good at the latter, but it is certainly worth any effort.

People need to accept reality, take a deep breath, and quit behaving like a bunch of infantile, entitled peckerheads. Trump lost the election, go with what's between your legs, Covid 19 is real, and does not care how important you feel. Screaming at a nurse will not spare you from Covid, and hording ammo won't either. Pseudo social justice warriors will figh imagined emenies that do not exist, until they destroy themselves.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Big J on November 17, 2020, 10:26:28 AM

I should have also mentioned that there are a good percentage of first time buyers...
me -There's a season?