Big Bugs=Big Fish: The Brood ll Advantage

Started by Fin, May 26, 2013, 22:43:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fin

I hit the water one more time today.  The bugs were still singing and the carp were still looking up but it was noticeably more quiet than on Saturday.  The cicada event of 2013 is winding down.  The rod doubled over in photo below is one I acquired last year from ol'e Muddy when I beat him in the Berkley Powerbait Smith River Stocker Invitational.  The Orvis 6 weight performed admirably.  Thank you sir!
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Big J

Nice carp.  Noticed this morning that I have to listen very closely to hear the cicadas now  :'(

Fin

I've noticed brood ll gets a little more quiet everyday as the sun sets on this most memorable hatch.  If you have not taken advantage of this phenomenal fishing opportunity better head to the water quickly.  It is still worth the trip.  Pics from today's festivities. Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Dougfish

I'll just add my reportage along to Neils since the location was basically the same. Carp virginity has been lost.  /'/
Mark T. and I hit up the lake this AM to catch the tail end of the cicada carnage. I whipped up some so-so flies last night and they were good enough. On about the third cast I hooked up with a nice bucketmouth. The fish looked pretty beat up from the spawn?

Mark hooked up immediately after. Then I got my rubberlips. Then a double with a bass and carp.

We caught about a dozen and only lost one. Most were in the 5-7lb range. No whoppers, but damn strong fish.

Big J

Lucky peckerhead! That first bass is a nice one.  Congrats on your first carp.

benben reincarnated

Look at all you fancy fisherman with your fancy boats and fancy rods catching all those carp.   'c;

Beetle

I didn't know Jim Furyk liked to fly fish.   Good stuff Doug!

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Oh my Doug - Mark's reputation just went south!!!!   Even though he's not wearing a lady's scarf, which is a positive, his company wearing an Al-Amira Hijab destroyed his credibility.  Obviously Mark had a weak moment when he signed on for the trip.

Great job Hokie!!
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Beetle

Speaking of the Hokies....

Virginia Tech

Aug. 31 Alabama (Atlanta)
Sept. 7 Western Carolina
Sept. 14 at East Carolina
Sept. 21 Marshall
Sept. 26 at Georgia Tech (Thursday)
Oct. 5 North Carolina
Oct. 12 Pittsburgh
Oct. 19 Bye Week
Oct. 26 Duke
Nov. 2 at Boston College
Nov. 9 at Miami
Nov. 16 Maryland
Nov. 23 Bye Week
Nov. 30 at Virginia

* The ACC will get yet another chance at the SEC in the kickoff classic. While Clemson won twice against the SEC a year ago, the rest of the league failed epically against the best league in America. This does not bode well for a rebuilt Hokies offensive staff against the back-to-back defending BCS national champions. Needless to say, Virginia Tech will be a huge underdog. The season might as well start in Week 2 for Frank Beamer. Two easy non-conference games should allow for plenty of wound-licking before ACC play because...

* Conference play gets started right away for the Hokies. A road trip to Georgia Tech followed by two key home tests against North Carolina and Pitt could have Virginia Tech in control of the division after just three games – or teetering on the brink of missing a bowl — much like the first half of the 2012 season. The bye week will be a welcome sight after the first six games of the season.

* Of the final five games, only one appears to be difficult. Duke and Maryland at home should be wins. Road trips to Boston College and Virginia should be victories as well. So the trip to South Beach to face Miami in Week 10 is the only marquee matchup on the schedule following the first bye week.

* Virginia Tech misses both Florida State and Clemson this year.

* The second open date comes in Week 13 on the penultimate week of the year. It isn't the most useful location for an extra week of preparation. However, the off week means Virginia Tech could be a heavy favorite in the Commonwealth Cup.

* Hokies Athletic Director Jim Weaver requested that Virginia Tech not play a home game on Thursday night this year — something that has happened for 11 straight seasons in Blacksburg. The ACC and ESPN agreed.

by Braden Gall (@BradenGall) and Steven Lassan (@AthlonSteven)

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Beetle on June 12, 2013, 14:54:38 PM
Speaking of the Hokies....

Yes, speaking of the Hokies and scum sucking bottom feeders, like the carp you fine chaps have been catching......

Why would you need a bye week before playing UVA?  You could make it a doubleheader and play The French immediately after Maryland on 16 Nov..  Then you could send the coaches and players home for an extended turkey-day break.  Or you could rest the starters after playing the Twerps, and play the reserves against the Hoos.  It really doesn't matter; heck, the cheerleaders might rout UVA.   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Dougfish

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood on June 12, 2013, 14:48:23 PM
Oh my Doug - Mark's reputation just went south!!!!   Even though he's not wearing a lady's scarf, which is a positive, his company wearing an Al-Amira Hijab destroyed his credibility.  Obviously Mark had a weak moment when he signed on for the trip.

And he's blogged about it already and I think a column is in the works.
http://blogs.roanoke.com/wildlife/2013/06/a-fun-morning-of-fly-fishing-for-carp/

Quote from: benben on June 12, 2013, 14:30:31 PM
Look at all you fancy fisherman with your fancy boats and fancy rods catching all those carp.   'c;
LOL.  :-*

consumnfire1229

Neil - Nice work!  You and Robbie been burning vacation days to do that?

Doug - Nice work.  I know you worried you weren't going to get out and hit up the carp!
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Fin

Hey Scott, I've been studying up on all Woolly Bugger's posts; I know how to get some work done.  Truth be told, since I'm in sales now and Robbie happens to be one of our best customers I think that Tuesday at lake spent catching big carp with him was, wait for it,... work.  8)  I like my job.

Transylwader

Quote from: Fin on June 14, 2013, 08:40:47 AM
wait for it,... work.  8) 
I sometimes wonder how Keith sleeps at night doing all that hard work ::)