Norwegian Brown Trout

Started by Al, August 26, 2013, 19:54:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Al

I just returned from Norway where I had the opportunity to field test my signature fly, the Allieworm, on Norwegian Brown Trout.  I didn't go there for the fishing but when the Norwegian exchange student from my high school class of so many years ago suggested we hold our 55th class reunion in her country a few us jumped at the opportunity. Her remark that I could bring my fishing pole sealed the deal. I was told we would be so far inland the Atlantic Salmon could not navigate over some of the spectacular waterfalls but I was assured there would be plenty of trout.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Of course the fact that I was surrounded by former "heart throbs" had nothing to do with my decision to make the trip.

Our hostess and her husband came up with a "program" of activities which could not have been duplicated by the most expensive of tourist packages. This is a fishing report so I won't bore you with photos of spectacular countryside or our adventure during the eight days on the ground. (Some of you may see that in a later blog) – The fishing took place at a remote cabin owned by our hosts.  Note the sod roof which is a traditional method of roofing even in the populated areas.

The cabin is surrounded by small alpine lakes, all of which hold trout. I wore waders but traditional wading was not advisable because the ponds have very unstable silt filled bottoms which tend to suck you right down. I stepped in a couple times and had a heck of a time pulling my feet back out. The land surrounding the ponds is peat which is also challenging  to walk on. In hindsight a pair of knee high "Muck" boots would have been ideal. 

It didn't take long to see I was in the right spot. It was a challenge to bring them the last 6-10 feet to shore because of the weeds. Most averaged a foot long – if they had been larger I am sure many more would have dropped off at the weed line.

Here is proof the Allieworm has international appeal.

Fat and beautifully marked. These fish were definitely more brown in color then what I am used to seeing on the Smith River where they tend to have a yellowish tint.

My intent was for "catch and release" fishing but my host exclaimed "Oh no, these are the perfect eating size" and proceeded to snap the neck of the fish as I pulled them in.

I didn't have a stringer so we used the tried and true method of sliding them on a forked stick. A couple of the girls came along and took the first batch back to the cabin where they were cleaned and made ready for dinner. You'll note the warm clothing – we were not far from the Artic Circle and summer was rapidly winding down.

There ya have it – I am grateful to our hosts for making sure I had the opportunity to do a little fishing. Overall it was a great trip – the adventure of a life time. 

Big J

Dougfish

Quote from: Big J on August 26, 2013, 20:16:18 PM
You lucky horn dog!   bd;0

Living large in Norway!  -0-

OldDominionAngler

Good stuff, reminds me of that Prosek print with illustrations of brown trout from all over Europe.

sanjuanwormhatch

Quote from: Al on August 26, 2013, 19:54:20 PM

Our hostess and her husband came up with a "program" of activities which could not have been duplicated by the most expensive of tourist packages. This is a fishing report so I won't bore you with photos of spectacular countryside or our adventure during the eight days on the ground. (Some of you may see that in a later blog) – The fishing took place at a remote cabin owned by our hosts.  Note the sod roof which is a traditional method of roofing even in the populated areas.

I wouldn't mind seeing some spectacular countryside or adventure pics as well. 

tomato can

wind_knot

Those are some sharp looking fish!! What an awesome trip report!! I couldn't imagine being in "cold" mode for so long!! :o

troutphisher

Very cool stuff AL..... 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c;

Nice to see your fly getting them on foreign soil... 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c; 'c;
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

5xTippett

Stone-Man

Nice Al

Seeing old friends is killer
Pretty Browns with a different coloration

Norway is a country of true out doors men !!!! 'c;

JT

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Them fish must have been starving to have eaten that fly of yours.  :D Rub it in why don't you b'; Looks like a heck of a trip. I'm glad you are getting to enjoy life at this point Al, you earned every day of it 'c;
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

kylemc

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on August 27, 2013, 04:27:01 AM
Quote from: Al on August 26, 2013, 19:54:20 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing some spectacular countryside or adventure pics as well.

^^^^This^^^^

wind_knot

Mark me down as another that wants to see the country side photos!!