News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Shining rock wilderness area

Started by troutphisher, December 02, 2006, 19:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished the Shining Rock Wilderness area today. This stream is a free stone stream at 4800ft elevation. The air temp was 38 when I started this morning, the water temp was right at 40.There was ice cycles on almost every rock face, and they were still there when I left.

The water was gin clear, and the sun was bright. I thought the conditions would make fishing touch today.

This stream is exclusively brook trout water, as there are two major falls blocking upstream migration of browns and bows.

I started the day fishing a ptn size 20 in the seams and runs around boulders. I caught several brook trout, some of them had some size for wild fish about 6" and there colors were very vivid.

Around 1:00pm I notice a bwo hatch, and switched flies to a #20 bwo  to see if I could get some to rise. I caught several more fish in the pools and slack water. It was fun to see them dart up from the deep pools to get the flies. I tired a couple different patterns to see if they were keyed in on the bwo or would they take other flies. I switched flies and put on an Adams #18. The fish took this fly as well.

Around 3:00pm a good caddis hatch was on, they were thick. I could see fish rise in the pools and runs. I put on an cinnamon caddis size 18, and had fun the rest of the afternoon. The fish were striking this fly hard. I took a break and admired the views, this place is almost surreal.
The beauty is hard to beat, from the falls to the mountain views. Even in the winter months this place is very peaceful. I took some pictures of the surrounding mountains just at sunset.

It was a good day to be in this place, the burdens of life melted away and it was pure fun!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

sweet, what a way to spend the day....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

croaker

-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

phg

I believe I know that stream, but I've never tried to fish it.  A nice hike, and a beautiful place to spend a few hours.

peter p

Glad you completed your brookie quest.  Seems like a great day
Peter

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

troutphisher

I don't think so? but I did see a sign for the town, it was a yellow diamond sign said gos low?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

troutjedi

Nice job, TP!  In terms of overall poundage, I WAY out fished you today ;D

troutphisher

That was yesterday, this was today.

See poundage below  ;D

finless brown

Aww man, its been a couple of years since I've been up to fish the prongs. What a spec-tacular place. Thanks for the report.

trout_boy_II

sshhhhhh!!!!  :-X

And remember all the snakes, wild hogs, bears, and rabid groundhogs!  :o

TB

troutjedi

Nice!!!  Beautiful fish, man  0--0

AlaskaBill