Annual Shad trip on the James

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 05, 2019, 06:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

You cannot view this attachment.

Prep — new fly line

Itieuglyflies said be at the boat ramp at 7:15! We've been waiting for the train to move off the tracks for an hour and counting ...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

ryguy

I know that crossing.  Used to live about a block away.  Hope that train gets the heck out of the way, Shad are waiting!  (Maybe a Striper too)

Woolly Bugger

The trip started with a quick visit to the White Bass run in Durham. I was running a bit late so I only got to spend about 45 minutes fishing the creek. Chartreuse clouser attracted a couple of perch but not bites from whitey.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Back on the road I got to the hotel in Chester a little after nine. I spooled a new fly line and built a couple of leaders on the 6 and 8 wt rods..

Up early to meet Fred at the ramp at 7:15, an unusually late start for him as I expected him to call a 6:30 start, on the way I hit the Ronnie Macs at exit 64, they were short of help and I almost had to bail on my order, but Fred called and told me about the situation of the train being on the tracks and to take my time. Well I finally got my order and headed on down the interstate arriving at the line of cars parked behind the crossing. I hoped that we wouldn't have to wait long but 15 minutes turned to 30 to 60. Finally we go informed by a construction worked the a gate to the access road was open and we could bypass the grade crossing.

art on the detour ...

Cop told use that this happens often and that the train was blocking three crossings. They were "looking" for a new crew to move the train. Nothing he could do, but has to respond to the many calls made to 911.

Finally at the ramp and launched at 9:00! That was a long delay and when we got out on the water Fred was upset that a boat was sitting on his official spot.  We tried a few other spots and finally his primo number one spot opened up and we moved on it.
The rain continued all morning with the occasional break which was accompanied by strong winds, the temps were in the low 50s if not the high 40s. We were catching fish but not at the usual rate that the shad master is used to. Just enough to keep you from moving, but eventually we were off for to other spots to try and find the migrating fish.
We worked hard for the fish we caught, not stopping for snacks or even a beer. Fred had to cajole me into opening a Fat Tire. And we finally had a bite to eat well after the noon. When Fred asked what time it was we were both a bit surprised that it was a quarter past four! Back at it for another hour and fifteen before my arm told me it was probably best to call it quits and hit the road home...

There were a few Bald Eagles on the river as well as a numbe of Osprey. I saw one working the water, and called to Fred to watch. The bird zeroed in on a shad and swooped down to catch its meal as we watched it flew overhead carrying the fish it its talons. There were also a number of people fishing from both bank and catching shad and perch.   

I pulled into the driveway at 10,

I was thinking that Fred was going to do it again in the morning...

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Onslow

itieuglyflies

Yep, back on the river this AM, no train and no one on my chosen spot.....game on for two hours. As usual the Woolly and I had a fun time on the river yesterday after the initial delay. Next up the Dougfish!

ryguy

Nice!  Water looks like it's come down nicely.  Hopefully the fishing continues to heat up!

Dougfish

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
 Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change? "
Kelly's Heroes,1970

"I don't wanna go to hell,
But if I do,
It'll be 'cause of you..."
Strange Desire, The Black Keys, 2006

Dougfish

Game on. Kissed the wife and hit the road late Sunday afternoon for a hotel south of Richmond. Maybe the same one as WB? Up at 5 today for a 6:15 ramp rendezvous with Fred. I got there 5 minutes early and he already had the boat in the water. We hustled my stuff down and were headed for his primo anchorage in minutes. Before I had a leader and fly tied on, he had 3 to the boat.  :o
It was hot for a couple of hours, then went up and down.

The master and I traded fish for fish for a good bit.

We caught lots of gizzard, one American and a pile of herring.
Much more herring than Fred is used to seeing. A good sign for those species.

We went through an extended slow spell waited for the tide to come back in so we could get the boat out at the silt filled ramp. Parted company tired and happy.
See you for trouts next, Fred.  0:0

"Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here?
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

itieuglyflies

Did Doug say we caught Gizzard Shad? Stick to your plant IDs these were Hickories and not trees!
Fun day on the river for sure.

Dougfish

Quote from: itieuglyflies on April 08, 2019, 18:51:37 PMDid Doug say we caught Gizzard Shad? Stick to your plant IDs these were Hickories and not trees!
Fun day on the river for sure.
Hickory! Hickory!
It was the Fajita's talking.
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,

Big J

Woolly Bugger

Addendum

One thing that I've learned over the past year of chasing carp is that a stripping basket is an essential item for line management and casting ease. On my trip to the James, I took the stripping basket along just in case, I was surprised to see that Fred was sporting a basket as well. In past years there has been a struggle with the line getting underfoot and tangled on everything, from the trolling motor to just about everything else. It also helps keep the line clean and I'm sure that it will help extend the life on the line. Note: on this trip, the stripping basket also served as a rain gauge.

I also failed to talk about the "one that got away", early on I hooked into a better fish, it may have been a larger American Shad, but after playing the fish and getting it on the reel. It was pulling drag and was fighting hard as the battle went on for a minute or two.  I was just about to get it to the boat when the hook popped free. "I would have like to see that one," commented Fred as I reeled in the now slack line. Its moments like this that keeps you coming back!

me -There's a season?

Dougfish

I used a stripping basket, too.
Helped catch that boatload of fish!
 -0-      -+;   V:;
Kelly's Heroes,1970

But if I do,