News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

driver

driver

thinking of hitting it in the morning if anyone is interested.

Dougfish

Shane will be there.  8)

Woolly Bugger

The smith is a cruel bitch, that is all!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

driver

driver

Quote from: driver on May 31, 2015, 11:40:37 AM
Well. I tried to see if I could get in on a morning hatch. Saw 3 bugs. So I fished around the hatch area for a few hours. Took a few nymphs to determine what they wanted. But once I had the right one I was surprised when I didn't catch a fish out of a run. I forgot my camera so i didn't take many pictures for not wanting to take my new phone out over the water.

Best fish up there
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

after this I hit some other areas, took a brake. Then I decided to stay for the evening hatch. I was out of beer at this point, so I stopped and resupplied and headed back up river. And waited..

Rather slow hatch.. Had lots of fish rising, but they didn't want anything to do with the 8 different flies I tried. I guess until next year.

Woolly Bugger

Hoping for an evening hatch / spinner fall we headed up the road and arrived at the mirror plant around six o'clock. I looked and sounded like there were doing some work on the Townes Creek bridge and the sound of the compressor droned on down the river to the end of Philpott's field intruding into the otherwise peaceful solitude that the river offers. After hiking in waders the 1/3 of a mile across the mowed and tilled field we waded waste deep into the cold waters to cool off! Nothing much was happening on the river, so we drank a beer and waited. I gave some basic casting lesson and let my friend give it a try while we waited for the hatch and rising fish. I thought that if there was high volume of bugs, like previous night, there was a good chance that she would get into a fish or two. Unfortunately, the steady risers were either across the river, too far for her to cast, or in the slick of the run were they are extremely picky. She took off and targeted one steady riser at the tail of the pool while I caught a few in the foam line running along the far bank. As dark approached the activity picked up a little and it one little spot there were five or six fish feeding actively, surely, with a lucky cast she could hook one of them, I thought. Tangled lines and snagged hooks ensued, and then she took off after another riser, she did manage to slip, trip and fall into the river. Laughing, she headed to shore to recover, I thought she was done for the day, but after a short time she rejoined me in our futile attempts to catch another fish before dark.

Not sure, but I think the best of the 2015 sulphur hatch is behind us now...

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 31, 2015, 12:31:11 PM

Gezzzz, I hope so. Now we can get down to real fishing :P

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Al on May 31, 2015, 15:25:52 PM

allieworms? -0-
me -There's a season?

Al

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 31, 2015, 15:42:44 PM

allieworms? -0-

Whatever it takes :o  Seriously - I've caught more fish this year on a midge dropped off the curve of the hook of my allieworm or some other dark colored nymph. I suspect beetles, ants and hoppers will come into their own before long.

driver

Yep! As hot as it has been, I hope to not put my waders on until November...

It's time to catch fish measured in pounds, not inches!

Woolly Bugger

I am now officially done with the lower river until fall!
me -There's a season?

Fin

Quoteallieworms? -0-

Make fun if you want but the allieworm was the truth this Saturday on the small carp.  Two pound carp on a 3 weight glass rod is a blast.  Only problem I had was the damn hook kept straightening out; not a problem I encounter with mild mannered trout.

[attach=1]

Fin

Quotecarp. Al and I hit a hole two weeks ago that had a bunch of em on the bottom; just hanging out

Just to be clear, the carp was not from the Smith.  I was only pointing out the crossover appeal of the great allieworm.  /'/

Fished the Smith my whole life but have never seen a carp; suckers, now that's another story.

NCsporksman

Fin hijacking the smith thread like a boss. Carp on a 3 weight like a damned nihilist