News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Smith-Continued

Started by 5xTippett, June 17, 2012, 16:15:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

creakycane and 13 Guests are viewing this topic.

Dee-Vo

Nice report. Still using waders?

Dougfish

Waders?
It's a tailwater. 44 degrees right now. Come on up, lets watch you wet wade.  -+;

Dee-Vo

I wasn't being a smartass. I was really actually curious. I haven't been there.

Dee-Vo

No worries. I'm going to try it. Hopefully sooner than later.

Last year I was wet wading a river at the first of April I think it was. Leg cramps like a champ. I wondered if I would make it back to my truck. No fun. Caught some nice smallies though.

Dougfish

I thought everybody on here was a smartass?
Me included.

Dee-Vo

I think you're right. Fukk it.

Al

Let me see if I can add a little to TF's trip report. First of all it was a good trip even if we fished our butt off and didn't do as well as we had hoped. Just getting out with good friends is what if is all about anyway.

Light was fading fast by the time we rigged up and made it to the "hot spot" where the annual sulfur hatch had been reported to be under way. The fact that we had the parking lot to ourselves was a clue that it might have been an unfounded rumor :'(
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I gave TF the prime run and moved upstream a ways so as to let him move back and forth if need be. There really was not any surface activity. A few insects (probably sulfurs) were coming off but nothing was raising to them.  It was a long time before I heard a shout and saw a bend in his rod.

In the meantime I targeted a fish that was periodically rising in a seam right up against the far bank. About the third drift down past him and there was a "gulp" and the fight was on. Nothing big but at least I had the potential "skunk" out of the way.

By the time I released my first fish the water all in front of me started dimpling and with feeding fish. I was able to put a bend in my rod about every third or fourth cast. I shouted to TF to get his butt up here but he replied he was observing lots of rises in his section as well (But he was not able to entice them - I think he has a stimulator up on top which was way too big for what the fish were keying on)

I got to the point where I could not see my fly and just reacted anytime I say a splash near where I thought it was. It was over as quickly as in began - they totally stopped rising just before dark.

The following morning we went to one of my "secret" spots.  We did some re-rigging and tied on double nymphs backed up with indicators.

The water was a little low, gin clear and the sky was one of those "Chamber of Commerce" days. Not a good formula for fishing.

We caught a few but for the most part they were "dinks" - Just before we reached our "get out point" TF shouted "I've got a nice one on - now if I can just get him in.  I watched for several minutes and we both thought he had foul hooked an 8-9 inch fish and was pulling it in sideways. When it finally made an appearance it was a large shouldered brown fairly hooked in the mouth. Now to play it cool until a net could be slipped under him.
http://Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Nice brown - just about as large as I have seen in the past 2-3 years in that section of the river.

We spent the afternoon moving around to several other sections of the river - all of which have yealded double digets in an hour or so of fishing, but not today. A fish here and there but only one worth writing home about
http://Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Back at my cabin where we picked up our overnight bags and loaded up for the long drive back to Fayetteville. Just before I left I pulled the SD card from the Deer Camera I keep on the edge of the back lawn. When we got there the afternoon before I mentioned to TF I wonder why that camera is tilted almost sideways when in normally sits straight up and down? Downloaded the pictures this morning and it is obvious what happened - here is shot when things are normal, then a shot of the culprit and what he did to the camera when he didn't like his picture taken.

Overall a good trip - Thanks watching after this old fart and sharing time on my favorite trout stream TF

Woolly Bugger

Went back up to the local for more sulphur action, had to wait a spell before things turned on.
Pretty spectacular when the fish start chasing down the bugs and leaping out of the water after them.
These trout don't grow big in this section due to lack of food, uber cold water and other factors, but they sure color up nice!

Waiting for the evening rise...

little yaller bugs

the hatch was pretty much over by 8:30, but I fished on till 9:00
picked up a few more
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dougfish

'c;
Nice efforts and reports, fellers.
I'll be there. Soon. And again. 

troutrus

Thanks for the reports. I've been missing that place.
If generation ends at 6 pm, may be able to squeeze in an hour or so some evening.

sanjuanwormhatch

Al can I come to your cabin?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutrus on May 26, 2015, 06:53:46 AM
Thanks for the reports. I've been missing that place.
If generation ends at 6 pm, may be able to squeeze in an hour or so some evening.

That last hour of the day can be magic!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

Woolly Bugger

Dead Shit Falling Out Of Trees!

I arrived at the parking lot, which was empty, at a quarter till six, fifteen minutes before the dam was to be shut off for the day. I thought about wet wading as the heat was oppressive and the thought of hiking a half mile across the field was not appealing. But I knew that come evening and the chill of the 44 degree water I would be glad that I was wearing them. Packed three ice cold Dale's into my vest and headed to the bend in the river.

The shade was a relief and I stepped into the water to cool down. Mid-thigh deep I felt the cold water work it's way into the pin holes in the waders that Simms had failed to find and seal. Six o'clock and the water was just beginning to come down from the staggered generation shut-down. I sat on the bank and popped the top on a Dale's. A little moth Butterfly - Azure kept me company as I waited for the water to drop to the point where I could wade out and swing a muddler. I played around with the microscope mode on the TG-3, capturing some close-ups of the moth. A lone Sulphur flew up from the water, and I watched as it was snatched out of the air by a dragonfly! Fish, birds, bats, and dragonflies all waiting for the feast of the little yellow bugs.

I ventured out into the stiff current and swung the muddler for a while, attracting nothing, I went back to the bank for another Dale's.  It was a full two hours before the water dropped, for some reason I was thinking it would only take an hour. Glad I brought three beers! The sun was low and the shadows were long and still I waited, eight o'clock, nothing! Eight fifteen, nothing. I'm rigged and ready, still waiting for a rise, when I hear a crash in the tree across the river and then a big splash as a dead unidentified bloated possum sized animal plops down into the run. Never seen anything like that before, snapped a pic, circled the UDSFK in red.  Eight thirty, a rise.  I turn and cast. Good drift and bam! Got 'em! Had to use forceps to remove the fly, mangled, I had to tie on another one in the fading light. Another fish rose. I cast and hooked up again.  Caught a third riser and managed to mess up the 6.5x tippet, too dark to tie, so I called it quits, and went to Papa's for a slice of pizza before the 90 minute drive home.

150 miles
3 Dale's
2 flies
3 trouts
me -There's a season?

NCsporksman

.....and a half pack of depends

rbphoto

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on May 27, 2015, 10:20:24 AM

A little moth kept me company as I waited for the water to drop to the point where I could wade out and swing a muddler. I played around with the microscope mode on the TG-3, capturing some close-ups of the moth.

3 Dale's
2 flies
3 trouts

Butterfly - Azure (Spring/Summer - can't ID without microscope) species.  Cool that it would sit on your hand.

One of these days I'm gonna take a week off and fish this river and surrounding areas.
"maybe procrastination is another word for fishing..." ben
"Just butchered my first silk kitty...." Wooly Bugger  January 26, 2018, 12:41:27 PM
You can't land an otter on 7x. Now I know - Dougfish