In Need of A New Pack

Started by CpRiver4, November 26, 2008, 10:22:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CpRiver4

Hey Guys,

I have been backpacking since I was in high school with the same pack. So it's time for an upgrade. I've been looking at the Osprey Aether 85 pack which I really like. But I am also looking at the Arcteryx Naos 70. In my opinion Arcteryx makes some of the best equipment out there so I'm a little torn. Just wondering if any of you have an opinion on packs?

WRector

Depending on how big you are looking to go.  I would recommend looking at Dana Designs packs.  I have had a Terraplane X for about 10 years and never had an issue with it.  You can usually find some good deals on the net for them as well.  Has plenty of storage and lots of support.  No issue at all with loading it down with 80 lbs or so and not being able to get it balanced.
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

CpRiver4

I actually worked with Dana Gleason, maker of Dana Designs, for a while. And while I think his packs are good I've been a loyal Gregory Pack Carrier for years. However, I am now thinking of switching to Arcteryx. It seems that everything they make is of the highest standards.

Z-Man

I've had my Gregory 55 for a year now.  It's holding up well.  With a comfort range of 30-35 pounds it's just right for multi-day camping.  It's bigger than a day pack and doesn't let you go crazy adding in the kitchen sink like an expedition 75+ liter would. Lots of access points to get inside without completely tearing it down and plenty of outside tie down options.  Stop-tear fabric and water resistant. It hangs well high on my back and the ventilation system keep my middle back cooler.  Finally, at 6'6" it was one of only a few that fit my torso without modification or special order.  I got it as my AT pack for next year.  I like it and recommend you at least look it over.
Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

CpRiver4

Do you plan on thru hiking the AT? I did it back in 2001 with a Gregory Lassen, which is the pack I am now looking to replace.

Z-Man

Maybe someday, but I can't spare the six months anytime soon. I plan on 1 week, 2 week, and long weekend treks to at least get the NC sections done next year.  When I retire I hope to do a thru-hike, but that's still a little ways off.  congrats on your thru hike - any year, any age, it remains quite an accomplishment.  Did it change you much?  How long did it take before you stopped missing the trail?  Or have you yet?
Z-Man

CpRiver4

I still miss the trail every now and again but I always take weekends out of my year and head to the woods so it's not that bad. I would love to try and do the Pacific Crest Trail and some of the ones out west but don't have the time for those right now.

WRector

CP,

I think I would say the same thing about Dana packs, but don't have as in-depth knowledge as you have of them.  Sounds like you have already made you mind up though!   ;)

WR

CpRiver4

Yeah. Last night I scored an Arc'teryx Naos 70 on ebay for well below the regular price. So I should have that in time for our annual Dolly Sods Snowshoe trip after Christmas. Pretty excited about it and I will let you know what I think about it as far as fishing is concerned as well.

WRector

Quote from: CpRiver4 on December 01, 2008, 11:35:12 AM
Yeah. Last night I scored an Arc'teryx Naos 70 on ebay for well below the regular price. So I should have that in time for our annual Dolly Sods Snowshoe trip after Christmas. Pretty excited about it and I will let you know what I think about it as far as fishing is concerned as well.

Sounds Good!  Hope you enjoy it!  When the weather warms up, I need to get out myself.

Z-Man

Congrats on the score - I'm sure it will serve you well.

Don't wait till the weather's warm - it's more peaceful out there when it's not - and there are fewer spinners throwing into your pool.  I spent Sat and Sun testing whether my gear would keep me dry.  It did and I caught fish too.  Only a couple of serious wackos like me out there at the time.  It was neat.
Z-Man

CpRiver4

I agree with Z-Man. Get out there now and you'll most likely not see anyone. Yeah, you'll have to pack more but it's totally worth it . Just remember to wear bright clothing if your in an area that's open for hunting.

Z-Man

Sorry to bust the thread, but hey - lookee lookee - I made Horney Head!!
Whoooohooooo!
Z-Man

WRector

Getting out is not the problem, but being able to manage a camping trip is.  Until I get used to the area, I will probably just stick to the day trips to the DH water.

Where have yall found the best places to pack in and do some fishing?  I have done a lot of hiking and mountain biking up in Pisgah, so know the area fairly well.

CpRiver4

SNP is great for hiking in and fishing. I've also done overnighter trips into Hidden Valley and fished the Jackson.