Olympus Stylus 1030SW 10.1MP
2 (18.2%)
Other Brand
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutphisher on April 11, 2008, 18:19:48 PM
I just ordered the Pentax Optio W30.
I found a package deal on the Internet. It consists of the camera, tripod, case, Simms stick, cleaning kit and 1GB mem card.

I'll check it out and see if the camera is what they claim it is.
The Macro function peaked my curiosity as well as the water proof features.

Camera Wars!!!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Gofisher

Quote from: troutphisher on April 11, 2008, 18:19:48 PM
I just ordered the Pentax Optio W30.
I found a package deal on the Internet. It consists of the camera, tripod, case, Simms stick, cleaning kit and 1GB mem card.

I'll check it out and see if the camera is what they claim it is.
The Macro function peaked my curiosity as well as the water proof features.

What is the Simms stick?  ???
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

troutphisher

SIMMS

(single in line memory module)...

They are really not the same as the volitile memory on the SD card readers. But Hell, I call anything that stores info memory....

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

troutphisher

I got an interesting call and e-mail today from photoconnection.
This is the merchant I purchased the equipment from.

Interesting sales scam.

He called and e-mailed me to say he had to verify my recent order. ( I thought, I filled out the forms on line and provided the necessary information), but decided to call him back anyways.

When I called him he gave me the spiel jargon about the security, but while I was on the phone anyways, he wanted to tell me about the upgrade offer. I knew then he was full of shit, but decided to let him play his hand out.

He said the battery that is the standard offer, was an entry level battery, only lasting about an hour, and the charger that was also in the standard offering, was not a high speed charger. It would take 10 hours to recharge the battery.

But a lass, all was not gloom and dome, he was here to make things right. LOL
I felt like I was being courted by the maharishi at the airport.
No offense TM....he he he

Anyways, for the additional cost of $60 bucks, I could get the upgraded battery, that lasts 4 hours and get the "rabbit" charger that would charge a dead battery in one hour.

I paused for a moment to set the tone, and strike. I asked why this offer wasn't made on line, as they had several packages to choose from. Then asked about the nature of the security question. I told him was it really a security issue, or was this a bait and hook routine, cause it sure sounded like that to me.

He immediately apologized and said it was a security issue, then I stopped him and said we talked about the upgrade offer for two minutes, yet we only briefly spoke of the security issue. He went silent.

I waited out the pause, not wanting to break the tension I set up.
He started some more salesmanship, but I called him on every effort.

Eventually he caved in and I got the up grade for free, and he threw in express shipping. I should have the camera by Thursday.

I love to turn the tables on unworthy salesman....he he he.
Another one bites the dust!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

brownhunter

Quote from: troutphisher on April 14, 2008, 19:11:00 PM
I got an interesting call and e-mail today from photoconnection.
This is the merchant I purchased the equipment from.

Interesting sales scam.

He called and e-mailed me to say he had to verify my recent order. ( I thought, I filled out the forms on line and provided the necessary information), but decided to call him back anyways.

When I called him he gave me the spiel jargon about the security, but while I was on the phone anyways, he wanted to tell me about the upgrade offer. I knew then he was full of shit, but decided to let him play his hand out.

He said the battery that is the standard offer, was an entry level battery, only lasting about an hour, and the charger that was also in the standard offering, was not a high speed charger. It would take 10 hours to recharge the battery.

But a lass, all was not gloom and dome, he was here to make things right. LOL
I felt like I was being courted by the maharishi at the airport.
No offense TM....he he he

Anyways, for the additional cost of $60 bucks, I could get the upgraded battery, that lasts 4 hours and get the "rabbit" charger that would charge a dead battery in one hour.

I paused for a moment to set the tone, and strike. I asked why this offer wasn't made on line, as they had several packages to choose from. Then asked about the nature of the security question. I told him was it really a security issue, or was this a bait and hook routine, cause it sure sounded like that to me.

He immediately apologized and said it was a security issue, then I stopped him and said we talked about the upgrade offer for two minutes, yet we only briefly spoke of the security issue. He went silent.

I waited out the pause, not wanting to break the tension I set up.
He started some more salesmanship, but I called him on every effort.

Eventually he caved in and I got the up grade for free, and he threw in express shipping. I should have the camera by Thursday.

I love to turn the tables on unworthy salesman....he he he.
Another one bites the dust!

That's good stuff right there, TP!!!  ;D I can't wait for your report on the new camera.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

troutphisher

Well, I received every thing as promised.
I tried the camera out after reading the operators manual. The manual was actually pretty easy to read, well written and very comprehensive.

The camera is very easy to use. I like the navigation buttons, especially the macro button. It's easy to switch between modes. The macro does work very good at very close range. The picture modes are more than I will probably use, but they are a nice feature.

The movie modes are very easy to understand and operate. I am going to try this underwater and capture some video of fish and aquatic insects when I get the chance.

The construction of the camera is pretty sound. Aluminum case, with lots of gaskets around the vital openings. This gives it the water proof feature. The gaskets are nice and clean, only covering the necessary openings, and not bulging from the seams.

It's just as easy or maybe easier to use then the current Panasonic camera I have.
I was surprised at how intuitive the icons and functions modes are.

Well time to field test the unit.

TP