Annual Kiddo Camping/Fishing Trip

Started by Big J, October 28, 2020, 08:31:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big J

Every fall I try and take my girls out camping.  Lord knows my wife injects so much fairy tale and princess into my girls (which is fine) that I need to take them out in the woods to get some campfire smoke, dirt, and fish slime on them.  This year I decided to take my 3 yo for the first time and was a little curious how she would do.  She has always been a little more reserved than her older sister, but she hopped right into things and followed in step with her big sister. 

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Drive in Friday evening.  Kid couldn't even make it to camp! I'm in trouble.

Set up camp Friday night, started a fire, cooked the girls a s'more.

Girls surprising slept well the first night.  5 yo only woke us up once at 3 am, but went back to sleep and slept in till 7.  She is really hit and miss at home so getting up only once is better than the norm sometime nights.  3 yo is a sleeper, but isn't a morning person like her sister as you can tell.

I didn't want to take them into the trout stream near by Saturday because I don't have any blaze orange from them and it's hunting season.  We just hung around campground which has two ponds with some surprisingly large LMB and panfish.  I watched two five lb bass crashing baitfish pretty consistently on one pond. 

Poptarts for them.

Bacon, egg, and cheese on some sourdough for me.

And off to the ponds.  I'd cast out my fly rod and let the girls pull the fish in when they were hooked.  Wish I would of brought them a spinning rig to use, but forgot this campground had ponds.

Her momma couldn't believe she let this grasshopper on her head.  Out of character for her!

Some celebratory Ice Cream at the camp store.

A nice ribeye and some baked potatoes for me.

It rained buckets Saturday night and luckily a guy with a trailer next to us let us pull our tent under his awning prior to the rain.  Made breaking down the tent Sunday morning out of the rain much more enjoyable! Girls were worn out because they both slept all through the night and woke up at 8 am which the 5 yo has never done in long time.  She's our early riser.

Repeat breakfast.

And since Sunday is no hunting, off into the woods we went ( :P  to Yaller and Hiner about Sunday hunting).

I'll have to work on the 3 yo's fish gripping.

Was not impressed by my ugly chub. 

You think the 3 yo had a good time?

And repeat the passing out on the drive home.

Great weekend in the woods with my girls.  Happy dad seeing all the things they will try for the first time without fear.  The bathroom situation was a pain in the rear though!  It was 24/7 trips to the bathroom, screaming "I'm about to pee my pants", yelling at 5 yo to stop looking under the bathroom stalls, "I have to poop", "I don't have to poop", we get back to campsite "I have to poop".......  I guess I can live with that seeing how much fun the girls had.

streamereater_101691

Atta boy J. Keep the annual tradition alive. Your girls will fondly remember those adventures with their dad for forever.

Phil

You have two unbelievable pretty/cute daughters, J. Good on ya for taking them out!

Stone-Man

Good Job ,Sir
 The girls had a bodacious time,for sure.  Pretty nice bluegills in that pond. Fry one up for the girls the next time

JT

greg

ARontheFly

'c;  Righteous! Looks like a great time. Our 2 year old little girl is due for her first tent sleep this fall. I have invested in a 5 gallon bucket with toilet lid cap and trash bags as potty training is underway to hopefully cull some of the back and forth. I have to poop vs no now I don't have to poop is the majority of my life at the moment.
"We don't whitewash it either, Morty. I mean, the pirates are really rapey."

troutboy_II

Thanks for bring aa smile to my face, reading your descriptions of the trip and seeing the pictures!

You're a good dad!  Congratulations on a fine family.

TB
When fishing, a person ought to carry a flask of whisky in case of snakebite. Furthermore, he ought to also carry along a small snake.

Big J

Thanks everyone.  They are cute little squirts, but I may be bias.

Quote from: ARontheFly on October 28, 2020, 12:33:19 PM'c;  Righteous! Looks like a great time. Our 2 year old little girl is due for her first tent sleep this fall. I have invested in a 5 gallon bucket with toilet lid cap and trash bags as potty training is underway to hopefully cull some of the back and forth. I have to poop vs no now I don't have to poop is the majority of my life at the moment.

Potty training is the literal worse.  My littlest was really disappointed she couldn't go camping with me and big sis last year, but I told her the rules.  You can only go camping when you are potty trained.  First thing she said after she went to bathroom on the toilet this year was "I get to go camping?".  :laugh:

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Big J, what a great report and what beautiful children!!!  This made my day!!!

I know you and your beautiful wife come from good stock, so I have a proposition for you.  It was good enough for the Darlings on the Andy Griffith Show and I believe back in old England.  I'll pledge my grandson right now, for either of your daughter's hand in matrimony.    She'll inherit land on Little Back and some real beautiful mountain land, bordering National Forest.

You and the Mrs discuss and let me know.  If yes, I'll do a better job of schooling him on the nuances and subtleties of the world and life. And I promise he will not hunt on Sunday.

Jokes aside, you are a great dad!!!

You cannot view this attachment.

You cannot view this attachment.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

My gosh he is getting big! As is mine.  Time flies.

Hiner, if he becomes even half the man you are, I'll offer them a Harley or a pony or whatever the heck they want to stay away from him!

itieuglyflies

Treasure that time with your girls. First thing you know they will be all grown up. (I speak from experience) Those pictures and memories are great now but just wait about 20 years when you look back they will be even greater. You are an example of what the world needs more of..... great dads.

troutrus

Great job daddy!👍🏻
Cute kids.

ryguy

Nice work!  We've set the tent up but have not slept outside.  That's next! 
Thanks for the inspiration!

hcrum87hc

Love it!  We also went on our annual family fall camping trip last weekend.  We were supposed to go a few weeks earlier, but had to cancel due to the remnants of Hurricane Delta hitting.  We (and over half the campground) ended up bailing on Saturday night after roasting hot dogs due to the incoming rain. 

The group across from us bailed with this fire blazing.  b';

They were calling for up to 2" between late Saturday night and Sunday morning, and I didn't want to fool with packing up in that Sunday morning.

Our 3.5 LOVES camping, especially when the campground has two playgrounds.  She did love the short hike the two of us did Saturday and looking at all the bream in the lake.  I hate that I didn't bring her rod.

This was her fourth time, and our 14 month old's first time.  Other than the warm temps and having to bail early, it was a wonderful trip.  I love those memory making weekends.

"Quiet time" during the little one's morning nap.

Jeremiah 17:7

Yallerhammer

'c;  'c;  'c;  'c;  'c;
Just found this thread, and it made my day. I have the happyz now. You are a good dad, and have two beautiful daughters. Looks like they had the time of their lives, and I bet they'll remember that trip as long as they live. Brings back a lot of memories of camping with my son. He's grown now, but he's coming in on leave from the Marines tonight to spend Thanksgiving weekend with us. Treasure those moments!
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff