News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Wild stream western NC

Started by troutphisher, September 09, 2006, 13:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished one of my favorite wild streams today. It's a freestone stream. the water was  up and the pools were filled. The air Temp was 75 and the water temp 56. The water was very clear.

I fished a spot that has a great current for dry's, along a rock slab bank, the water pools to a slow eddy current that holds some good size fish. I started the day fishing an #12 Adams. I had some rise but no takers. I tried a couple different patterns with the same results, lots of looks but no takes.

There was no real hatch to speak of, some small light colored flies. I watched the fish to see if they would take the naturals, some did and some didn't. I put on the Blue Quill pattern and casted up stream to get a good drift, and halfway through the pool, a brown came up and took the fly.

I used this pattern the rest of the afternoon and managed to get some browns. they were riseing for the flys and the fishing was fun.

Here are some pics.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

you sure are going to miss all these NC streams when you move west....
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Yes I will, I jusy hope they are as good, I don't think its gets any better  0--0

I am going to spend as much time as I can fishing before I leave.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

brownhunter

"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Trout Chaser

Sounds like a great day.  I need to get out and check the stream leels since lat weeks rain.
Nice pictures of the browns.  :)
TC

troutphisher

I am headed out west, New Mexico.

From what I have been reading there is some good water in the area.
I plan to fish the San Juan for starters, then seek some high mountain wild streams.

peter p

Karl

Lots of good water in New Mexico for you.  Plus, you have access to S Colorado.   
Peter

troutjedi

New Mexico....that's awesome.  How can you tear yourself away from Boiling Springs?  ;D ;D ;D