News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Vacation

Started by Jfey, June 30, 2014, 10:56:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jfey

Its well documented that trying to fit in any legitimate fishing time on a family vacation is challenging to say the least.  It usually involves pissing off your wife to some level.  I've pushed the limits several times and was informed that there would be no extended fishing this trip.  Fair enough request.   Once this was established, I quickly starting planning on how to fit in a few hours as 1. the place we rented was beachfront, 2. there was no way I wasn't fishing and 3. there was an inlet close by that I heard rumors of good fishing

With that in mind, I hatched a plan that included me leaving around 5:30 and walking close to 3 miles on the beach to hit the inlet during the incoming tide.  I've had worse plans work out, so I was fairly happy.

Cool looking sky, glad it didn't rain

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I really enjoyed the walk and the sunrise

Almost there.  My tip was to walk until the houses stopped and that is when the fishing was supposedly good.

I picked up a few blues and hooked into something that cut my line, likely a small shark.   I was content to catch anything at all and the tide was just about slack, so I figured that was about it.   After I finished tying on a new clouser, I noticed something busting bait about 20 feet off the shore.  A few quick casts and bam, Mr Red joined the party

I was both surprised and excited which resulted in me laughing/screaming, jumping up an down and basically acting like it was the first fish I had ever caught.   After the release I looked up and saw that a group of runners had passed by and stopped to see the action.  They got a good laugh at me, but I didn't care a bit.  I jokingly offered them a beer.

A few minutes later, something big grabbed the fly, but I never saw what it was.   It took me to some deeper water and spit the hook. 

I made the walk home smiling the whole way.   I walked in the door just in time to change clothes and head to some gardens/park that my wife wanted to see.  Perfect crime.

I even had time to take junior out for some lessons

Funny thing about this pic is that I had just seen a few puppy drum chase some bait and was casting to them.  Kid could have fallen in and I wouldn't have noticed.  ;D

Yup, going fishing

Transylwader

/'/
Ya mayne! See? Surf donkeys are kool as fukk. The kid did fall in and you only noticed when them drums ignored your fly and your wife was stood behind you, hands on hips saying, Jeffery, Im selling all your fly fishing shit and there is fukkall you can do:o
I'll start the bid at 300 South African Rand :laugh:

Big J

Congrats on the Redfish Jfey.  You go to HHI again?

Jfey

Funny how close to the truth you are Mike.  No mention of selling my gear, but she did point out that I wasn't paying attention to how close he was to the edge.   Water was only about 2 feet deep, so I wasn't that worried.

J, Pawleys Island. 
Yup, going fishing

Transylwader

Quote from: Jfey on June 30, 2014, 11:31:43 AM
J, Pawleys Island.
Nothing to see here, keep moving...I will be there July 16 thru 24. Stay the fukk out... >:(

Dougfish

Fenwick and Pflueger, aye?   'c;

Jfey

Quote from: Dougfish on June 30, 2014, 11:51:18 AM
Fenwick and Pflueger, aye?   'c;

close.  Eagle Claw and Pflueger.  My daughter wanted to fly fish with a fly she tied.   That lasted all of about 2 mins...

Here is what I had tied on.  One of her many variations of the "Pink Princess Fly"

My son was bombing a rapala with no hooks into the same pool.  Would have been a miracle to get an eat
Yup, going fishing

RiverbumCO

My real name is Chad Farthouse.

Dougfish

Nice shirt, too. Mine is black.

Michael Toris

Squach on the beach. Yessir

benben reincarnated

The beach is cool.  One day I'll figure out as you have done and be able to fish well there.  Nice job.

BTW, how do you like Pawley's?  You go there often?  We went there last September for the first time and enjoyed it.  Plus the drive from AVL wasn't too terrible, unlike most places on the Atlantic from here.

Jfey

Quote from: benben on July 01, 2014, 07:12:10 AM
The beach is cool.  One day I'll figure out as you have done and be able to fish well there.  Nice job.

BTW, how do you like Pawley's?  You go there often?  We went there last September for the first time and enjoyed it.  Plus the drive from AVL wasn't too terrible, unlike most places on the Atlantic from here.

First time there also.   It was good, pretty low-key.   We will likely be back again.   Surf fishing is fun, but often you end up with a goose egg.  I went out again on Sunday morning to a different area and didn't see a fish.
Yup, going fishing

Onslow

Nice work.  I haven't tried to get a line wet for the last 5 family vacations.  I may have to break bad on our shell hunting trip @ Portsmouth Island next month.

TheYiman

Nice surf Red.

I bet the pink princess would tear em up in certain situations.