News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Alabama bluelineing...

Started by AL trout bum, May 27, 2015, 17:27:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AL trout bum

This place is near and dear to me. It's hard to believe you're in Alabama when fishing there. For those of you that grew up in southeast Alabama (the Wiregrass) like me, any body of water that isn't flat and sandy is a big change from the usual.

This past weekend I took a buddy that doesn't really fly fish, and has also never been to the canyon. Not exactly the best place to learn as it's pretty technical fishing. Although the learning curve is steep, he still had a great time and caught some fish.

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

When I am stuck in Alabama to fish, which has been a lot lately, there is only one fish I chase: the redeye bass. I've put a few reports up in the past on these fish in this particular place. They are commonly called the "Brook trout of Alabama" due to their preference for pristine water with moderate flow, typically found in higher elevations and because of their unique markings and coloration. The most notable markings are the blue cheeks/eyelid and white edges along the caudal fin. Ironically, the redeye is just a name and is not exactly a unique identifier when trying to differentiate between other bass.

The water is still a little cool here for topwater fishing, but lucky for me, they were hungry...

Enjoyed a snack on the way out....

"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

TheYiman

Great stuff Matt.  Blue bass, something else.  'c;

Michael Toris

Onslow

I've been in a shitty mood all week.  This "little" blueline TR was a perfect virtual escape.  Keep this goodness coming.

Woolly Bugger

Good lookin water and fish too!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Dee-Vo

driver

Dougfish

Coosa and Mulberries.
Keeping it real.  'c;

AL trout bum

Yep, Coosa bass, or Micropterus coosae for those of you in to binomial nomenclature. We just call them redeye around here. It confuses the hell out of a lot of people because rock bass are also commonly called redeye bass. Further complicating things, numerous bass species can have red eyes.
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

OldDominionAngler

I straight up love these reports.   0:0

sanjuanwormhatch

Sort of reminds me of a river around here.  I typically head north but this one happens to be south and also happens to have it's headwaters in one of the busiest airports in the world.  Despite all that, it's a beaut. 

benben reincarnated

Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on May 28, 2015, 09:24:38 AM
Sort of reminds me of a river around here.  I typically head north but this one happens to be south and also happens to have it's headwaters in one of the busiest airports in the world.  Despite all that, it's a beaut.

I know that place.  Going canoeing there later this year, it used to be an annual thing for a group of friends, but been a while since we've done it.

AL trout bum

Quote from: benben on May 28, 2015, 09:55:18 AM
Quote from: sanjuanwormhatch on May 28, 2015, 09:24:38 AM

I know that place.  Going canoeing there later this year, it used to be an annual thing for a group of friends, but been a while since we've done it.

You probably canoe the upper portion (above the dam). The lower portion (where I fish) would be more dragging than canoeing.

Transylwader

Cooter or Coochie bass maybe? I never likened fish to chicken. fuck sakes b';

JMiller

Nice work.
We have some of those up this way in TN. Love the blue faces.
"The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

― Charles Bukowski