News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Beetle's Book and Word Thread

Started by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0, March 14, 2017, 10:43:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutrus

Good stuff. Took me back fifty + years to my introduction to Shad fishing, upriver from where Washington crossed so many moons ago.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

driver

Quote from: troutrus on February 20, 2021, 05:01:25 AMGood stuff. Took me back fifty + years to my introduction to Shad fishing, upriver from where Washington crossed so many moons ago.

You cannot view this attachment.You cannot view this attachment.

This book is in my top 5 of all time non-fiction. Anything John McPhee is a winner.

Woolly Bugger

Rabbit hole...

started with a wiki article on APL programing language --
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

a  sidebar in the wiki page  had a pic of a IBM Selectric Typewrither typeball for APL. That led me to this...

which lead to this

which led to this...

which happeded to be on sale for $1.99 yesterday!

I'm enjoying the read but I keep picturing Tom Hanks in his many roles as I read his non biographical stories...

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutrus

raison d'etat

You cannot view this attachment.

Woolly Bugger

All the talk about Raven Fork led me to this interesting history of the Smoky Mountains written by timber "cruiser" Tom Alexander with photos by George Mesa and others. It is proving to be a look back in time — but no so long ago.

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

driver

I saw this was released yesterday.

Virtue of Flyfishing

I'm a fan of Kurlansky. This should be a good'un.

Woolly Bugger

Starlight Creek Angling Society

If you would like to read it, follow this link... (not available to all users)

https://www.brfff.com/forum/index.php/topic,16344.0.html
me -There's a season?

troutrus

Soma

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 06, 2021, 13:55:12 PMStarlight Creek Angling Society

This is a great story!!!  Every curmudgeonly angler should read it. 

My favorite lines: Page 11,  "Wade into the creek.  If it's not the kingdom of God, it should be.  The earth's enough, kind brother Biddle, or ought to be, all of heaven and paradise and eternity we will ever need."   I've told myself, and those I care for, similar words for years.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 16, 2021, 08:36:32 AM
Quote from: Woolly Bugger on March 06, 2021, 13:55:12 PMStarlight Creek Angling Society

have you read other middleton? The Earth is Enough, or On the Spine of Time.

"Wild water abides, so it does. So it does."

This is a great story!!!  Every curmudgeonly angler should read it.

My favorite lines: Page 11,  "Wade into the creek.  If it's not the kingdom of God, it should be.  The earth's enough, kind brother Biddle, or ought to be, all of heaven and paradise and eternity we will ever need."   I've told myself, and those I care for, similar words for years.
me -There's a season?

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

I have 'The Earth is Enough' somewhere in my stack, but have not seen it in years.  I need to revisit, as well as his other works.

I priced 'Starlight Creek Angling Society' online.  Not cheap!  BUT, what a gem!

This evening I am off to Charleston WV to have my retina fixed at 6am tomorrow.  Glad to read 'Starlight' before the CF.  A Dr. Hatfield is doing the surgery, and yes he is part of the Hatfield lineage.  I have no McCoy in my tree so I should be OK.
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

bmadd

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on March 16, 2021, 09:42:34 AMI have 'The Earth is Enough' somewhere in my stack, but have not seen it in years.  I need to revisit, as well as his other works.

I priced 'Starlight Creek Angling Society' online.  Not cheap!  BUT, what a gem!

This evening I am off to Charleston WV to have my retina fixed at 6am tomorrow.  Glad to read 'Starlight' before the CF.  A Dr. Hatfield is doing the surgery, and yes he is part of the Hatfield lineage.  I have no McCoy in my tree so I should be OK.

Here's hoping you will be. Are you going to have to recover face down for any amount of time?

Al

I can't wait to get my hands on a copy of Terry MacIntosh's new  book "A Wildcat Escape"  www.amazon.com/dp/B08Z4GCR69. Terry was one of my radio operators in Vietnam.  After the war he became a documentary film producer and author.  If you read Terry's "The Youngest Green Beret" https://www.amazon.com/dp/173151784X/ref=rdr_ext_tmb  or my book  "My War Vietnam1968~1969 1971~1973" "https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088SG8S6D you will see there is a common thread.  Terry is calling this one "historical fiction" but I will leave it up to the readers to sort out the facts from fiction. I've seen excerpts and recognize many of the names and events - I even played a small part in some of them.

greg

I re read the earth is enough every year. For some reason always in the fall. One of my favorites.

Yallerhammer

Quote from: greg on March 16, 2021, 17:14:32 PMI re read the earth is enough every year. For some reason always in the fall. One of my favorites.
About the same here with On the Spine of Time.
Women want me, doughbellies fear me. - Little Debbie Prostaff