• Welcome to Pretentious Snobby Bastard Fly Fishing!!!!. Please login or sign up.
April 19, 2021, 03:20:42 AM

News:

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.

Recent posts

Pages1 2 3 ... 10
The bar is open.... / Re: For the love of guns
Last post by Big J - April 18, 2021, 19:05:43 PM
https://www.fox23.com/news/local/man-shoots-kills-woman-accused-opening-fire-tulsa-shopping-area-police-say/XCNRFAWGLJBGTODOIPSRS4TDV4/#continue_below

I'm married, in tax season, with 3 kids 5 and under. Quit being lazy and do your own research. Here is a short blurb with no follow up on a shooting the media barely mentioned. There are others. If you really are so interested, put in the leg work and learn you old hermit. It happens more than you'd think and the stories where one bad guy gets shot doesn't make the national news. Even when they had heinous intentions.
The bar is open.... / Re: Labor Shortage
Last post by Onslow - April 18, 2021, 16:39:59 PM
Policymakers keep yanking that inflation lever.  One day there will be a response. I remember the late Carter years.....
Last post by Phil - April 18, 2021, 15:50:04 PM
For the restaurant and other service industry workers that got laid off for the pandemic -- they are still eligible for the emergency $600/week Federal unemployment. That's more than most restaurant/service workers make in the first place.
Last post by Stone-Man - April 18, 2021, 13:56:05 PM
Every food service facility in town is looking for help. And cannot find it.  Plus several other manufacturing firms cannot find help either.
The "Help"  just got 1400 $ from uncle joe and they won't want to work for months.
Pisses me off

JT
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - April 18, 2021, 11:31:36 AM
Quote from: Big J on April 17, 2021, 14:58:59 PMThere are a lot of cases where someone stops someone from committing  mass murders because they were stopped and those stories never make the news because "nothing tragic happened" and the it does not fit the media's narrative they want to push.

Not my intention to jab Big J, but I remain perplexed and often wonder if I am overlooking some rational perspective. 

J, I again question your assumption.  I believe we would hear those stories.  I bet the pro-gun delegation would make sure we heard the stories and even under your notion of "the media's narrative" we'd hear from at least some media outlet.  I would want to hear the story and I am sure you would.  I certainly would expect to hear of such gallantry if "there are a lot of cases where someone stops someone from committing mass murders" as you claim.  Now, I'll play in your ballpark and assume "a lot" = exposure/coverage even if nothing bad happened.     

Yes, we heard about the Sutherland Springs church shooting and the bravery of Stephen Willeford.  He shot the guy twice, I believe, but I think the killer died of a self-inflicted head wound.  Not sure but I also believe the tragedy was covered by every news media, but yes, you are correct, something tragic happened. 
Last post by troutrus - April 18, 2021, 10:09:25 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on April 18, 2021, 08:27:45 AMI don't know if these videos were posted earlier, but no matter how you feel about guns, this is a hoot if you don't forget it is comedy. 

Spot on. Comedy based on truth is always the best in my opinion.
Last post by Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 - April 18, 2021, 08:27:45 AM
I don't know if these videos were posted earlier, but no matter how you feel about guns, this is a hoot if you don't forget it is comedy. 

Last post by troutrus - April 18, 2021, 04:42:58 AM
Go to Lowe's or Home Depot in the morning and you'll see bunches of skilled laborers purchasing materials for their daily "gig work".
Once a guy/gal that is worth their salt is trained, it doesn't take them long to figure out that with minimal investment they can work on their own and easily beat what they are being offered by many of the contractors that are seeking help. And to top it off, they answer to no one and even manage to avoid paying taxes on much of their earnings.

When businesses are ready to truly value employees for their contributions by offering decent wages, benefits, and job security, I believe availability of labor will improve. This country has been moving in the wrong direction for many years. I grew up in an era and an area where skilled labor was recognized as a valuable asset. There were labor unions representing plumbers, pipe fitters, carpenters, truck drivers, etc that made those jobs something worth aspiring to. Now, the consumer is still paying dearly for the labor charges referenced in earlier posts, but the person performing that labor is being minimized.
Deregulation of the Interstate Commerce Commission is an example of what has destroyed a once proud trucking industry as referenced earlier by another poster. The attitude that anybody with a CDL and a truck can get on the road and compete is disheartening.

As an earlier poster said, I could go on with a ten page essay, but will leave it here.

Amen!

Last post by Woolly Bugger - April 17, 2021, 20:46:58 PM
Quote from: driver on April 17, 2021, 19:24:55 PMAre the GTs there?

not to my knowledge, we caught common reef fish, yellow tail tuna, parrot fish, sharks, snapper. Off shore wahoo, marlin, tuna. mahi, grouper

Pages1 2 3 ... 10

#CommissionsEarned