News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

couldn't go Sunday -- settled for Monday on the Smith..

Started by Woolly Bugger, December 15, 2008, 18:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

I got an early start up to the river, but once there I had to repair a leader and take care of some other stuff before I was ready to fish. I worked the run that had brought several fish to hand last week. But the conditions weren't the same. Relived that it wasn't below freezing, I didn't even bother with gloves, the gray sky promised some rain but the temperature was rising. I worked my way upstream and couldn't get a fish to strike.

Out of the corner of my eye I noticed a blue jean wearing man walking down to the river. I expected him to stop at the river's edge, but he hopped on rocks across the channel and across the island to where I was fishing. This was rather odd, so stopped fishing and waded over to see what was up. With an embarrassed expression he said that he had a strange problem and wondered if I could help him out. He had pulled his BMW X5 over to check the stream and when he got out the car door closed with the engine running. No normally the door wouldn't lock, but, as he explained, ice had built up on the handle and he had broken it and it wasn't working properly. So I drove him down the river and up to the top of the ridge where he was able to get a cell signal and call his wife on his Iphone. They lived it Marinsville only about 10 minutes away.

I dropped him off in Stanleytown and then headed back up to the hayfields for a little more fishing. I quickly hooked a pair on browns and then a rainbow came to hand. Further nymphing proved futal and I moved upstream. There I saw some risers off of the far bank. I tied on a midge and waited for the rise. I cast and the fly landed not two feet in front of where the ring had disappeared. In the slow current it took 6 or 8 seconds to drift over the spot. The trout rose and I set the hook! Fish on! These little wild brown trout put on a good show considering their diminutive size and are always a delight to catch. I spotted a couple more risers to target and each time a perfectly placed cast enticed the fish to rise to my  #22 greased lightening fly.

Filled up on the way home. This my be the best price of the year!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Gofisher

Way to help a fella out WB. And yeah, you suck! 0--0 By the way, my last fillup was $1.29...
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Gofisher on December 15, 2008, 19:17:48 PM
Way to help a fella out WB. And yeah, you suck! 0--0 By the way, my last fillup was $1.29...

well he would have had to wait if I had been catching any there.. as I told him, "I ain't catching shit."
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

WRector

Very Nice WB  0--0,

Glad you were able to get out!  Hope Mr. Money Bag's at least offered something in return for your generosity...
There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

Beetle

Nice work WB.  Sounds like karma paid you a visit.    0--0

BRFFF

Quote from: WRector on December 15, 2008, 20:28:52 PM
Very Nice WB  0--0,

Glad you were able to get out!  Hope Mr. Money Bag's at least offered something in return for your generosity...

No, his wallet was locked in the car... hope someone would do the same for me...

jkilday4

Applauds to helping the stranded...   :)

'Greased lightning' - sounds like some of that bootleg stuff.

Funny how gas prices falling is considered a good thing and bad at the same time... :-\  Some are predicting it to hit $1.00/gallon.

Nice report  8)

rockroller

Well done.  On the fishing.  On the report.  And on helping the feller in need.   0--0

WRector

Quote from: WRector on December 15, 2008, 20:28:52 PM
Very Nice WB  0--0,

Guessing from my Karma that some of you didn't get my intended sarcasm.  Was simply stated due to the fact that the individual in question drove a BMW X5 and after WB graciously drove him to within cell range phoned for help on his newly purchased I-Phone.  I guess to soften the statement I should have said "Hey great job on lending the guy a hand... Looks like your luck may have turned for the better after the good deed!" which had already been stated previously.

Quote from: BRFFF on December 15, 2008, 22:00:10 PM
No, his wallet was locked in the car... hope someone would do the same for me...

Sheesh!  Anyways, WB judging by the work you put into this board and the wealth of knowledge you have presented to fly fisherman such as myself and many others on this board, my guess is, you will always have someone to lend you hand whenever needed.  That I can probably guarantee. :j

There's a big difference between a dry fly dancing through
a riffle and a weighted fur ball dragging on the bottom.

5xTippett

Good job all around!  I think I will wait until the temperature in Bassett sticks in the 50's for a few days before I head back.  I am old enough to understand my limitations.

Z-Man

Z-Man

In the great outdoors your soul expands to the horizon!

Rod Champion

Great picture of gas pump... Wonder if that is the lowest it will be in many years to come...
Rod + Matt Champion
Fly Shop/ Guide Service
Located ON the S. Holston River
423-878-2822