News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Soho Experiment

Started by troutphisher, October 18, 2009, 08:44:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutphisher

I fished the SOHO yesterday wanting to try out some new midge patterns for the most part, but was not counting out a hatch if it happened. The weather called for highs in the upper 40's by late afternoon, with overcast and drizzle most of the day.

I started off down river at a spot with slow smooth water, and tried several of the new midge patterns. All of them caught fish, but the yellow and olive pattern produced the best. It was interesting to see the color change of the material when it absorbed water. the yellow turned dark and the olive even darker.

I moved up river to another spot I wanted to try around noon. I tried several of the midge patterns, and pretty much the same result, with the yellow and olive midge producing the most results.

Around 2:00pm a Sulphur hatch was on and it was a full thick hatch, so I switched to the snow shoe sulphur pattern and fish the riffles and edge breaks. I had a blast and lost all 3 flies eventually.

Around 3:30, the bwo hatch was in full force and the fish where sipping them in the slack water near the banks. I moved up to inspect some of the flies, and managed to get some shots. The water at the edge of the bank was loaded with bwo' and sulphurs, and the fish were just waiting in the lanes to sip them.

Even though it was cold and rainy most of the day, and the wind kicked up hard at times, it was worth the effort to see the fish and test some new patterns. I started fishing at 8:00am on the dot, and finished when I could no longer see the flies or indicator around 7:30 pm.

Here are some pics of the day.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

oh, the suck was on you suckmiester!
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Trout Maharishi

Suckage ;D Nice observation on the color change of the material when wet. I always consider things not only like dubbing color, but the thread color underneath and how it will effect the overall color of the fly 8)
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

jwgnc

Sweet.  Those fish are well-fed indeed.  And they had to work for their supper.

A fine day.  Thanks, but I read so fast I must have missed the picture of the midge >:D
Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Trout Maharishi

"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

glassfisher

suck suck suck suck suck suck suck

>:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Fire-Fly

i love those first cold days on the river, looks like a good day. I noticed on the midge patterns i was using, that the ones with a trailing shuck outfished the patterns without.

CR

"I Feel God In This Chili's Tonight"

flynhokies

damn man. experiment=success...nice work ;hb
"The richness I achieve comes from Nature, the source of my inspiration."
-Claude Monet

jwgnc

Stalk softly and carry a green stick.

Gofisher

What CR said...Nice bug pics.
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

benflyfishn

I was inspired to try a couple of new patterns for the SoHo after seeing your midge creation. I tied a 18 olive SH in two different styles.  I did not do as well as you did with yours, but caught some fish....... 0--0

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

What happens on the stream, stays there..........

troutphisher

Its a fun river to experiment on, almost every time I go, and turn over a few rocks or pull up some grass or weeds from the river bed. I find new insects, in all stages of their life cycle. Midges, scuds, sow bugs and nymphs of bwo and sulphur.

Then I get even more curious when I see the fish tailing on the grass beds, nose deep in weeds. I get good clues as to that they are eating, by doing a little research digging through the weeds and rocks.

The real bitch of it is when I take the photos of the duns, they always amaze me, and give me ideas for new dry patterns, but keeping in mind, duns only stay duns for a couple of hours until they molt, are the fish really keying in on the dun colors specifically of just the general color and shape.

A good case in point is the above bwo duns I snapped pics of. Freshly hatched they are lighter in color and have that distinctive rust colored thorax. Do I now start tyeing patterns that represent the freshly hatched dun? and will they work better then the standard dun dry?

Always something new to try out...........
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.