9/4/06 Bills Secret Savannah River Bream Honey hole...

Started by croaker, September 04, 2006, 20:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

croaker

After wearing the Bream out on top last week.   Bill gave me a call wondering if I'd be interested in tryin' 'em this week...  After a little arm twistin'...  I agreed to meet him @ daylight today.

Here's the view going to the Honey hole (yep, he blindfolded me).
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Then we had to sneak by a few of these critters.

Got to the Honey hole and started driftin' down river fishin' wid a #6 Sneaky Pete on the 5wt.  Hadn't went far when we saw some large (2'+) fish hangin' roun' a sandbar.

Looked like Stripers! 

Drifted down past 'em and circled back up to anchor.  Picked up the 8wt. Which had a full sinkin' shooting head and a big Seaducer rigged.  Made several casts amongst the big wakes and whirls...  Nothin'...  Tried a big Clouser that had worked fer Bill last week way upstream...  Nothin'...  Tried a big Deceiver...  Nothin'...   Thought about headin down and fishin' fer the Bream.... 

Decided might as well change to a floating head and a big Popper B4 goin' back to our original plan (Bream fishin').  That was the ticket!!!  Good sized Stripers smashin' a Popper will get yer heart pumping!

18# (my best to date on the Fly).

16#

Got a smaller one (around 4#) that chased the popper throughout a 100' retrieve and finally got the hook in his lip less than a rod length from the boat.   Several blowups that knocked the Popper outta the water, a few LDRs...   and you outta seen the big one that came unstuck.  Splashed a hole in the water dern near as big as the boat.

Once the Sun got up above the trees the Stripers quit...

So we went back to the original plan and caught some average Redbreast on top and a couple 9"+ Bluegills.

Thanks Bill, fer a Grand day on the water!!!
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

troutphisher

That looks like great fun! I bet they put a bow in the rod,and stretched the line some..he he.
Glad you had fun!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

lepomis_mcro

...WOW that looks like some rod bending fun right there
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

badankles

blindfolded, that's funny.  is that a gator?  no wading then, huh?

there must be something about breams, cuz after a morning with stripers like that most would have called it a let down.
when's a newbie no longer a newbie...

billres

BA.....We do a little wadeing in the creeks and smaller rivers , just don't get to close to mama with little ones. If you fish with Croaker , even if the fish ain't biting the only let down ya have is when he gets in his truck and leaves. Mighty fine fellow to fish with ,  ' bout the best story teller you can have in the other end of a boat.....Now he does tell a story about marsh hen hunting that I'm gonna try and check out this winter.

Bill

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

badankles

Quote from: billres on September 06, 2006, 07:06:30 AM
BA.....We do a little wadeing in the creeks and smaller rivers , just don't get to close to mama with little ones. If you fish with Croaker , even if the fish ain't biting the only let down ya have is when he gets in his truck and leaves. Mighty fine fellow to fish with ,  ' bout the best story teller you can have in the other end of a boat.....Now he does tell a story about marsh hen hunting that I'm gonna try and check out this winter.

Bill

ah, yes, the comraderie...plus, if wading in the savanah, make sure you can out run your partner...   ;) 0--0

croaker

Quote from: badankles on September 05, 2006, 14:02:14 PM
blindfolded, that's funny.  is that a gator?  no wading then, huh?

there must be something about breams, cuz after a morning with stripers like that most would have called it a let down.

BA,   after the Striper bite quit (they generally bite better during low light times) and we went back to the original plan, topwater Bream fishin'...

We were drifting down the river enjoyin' the smack a Bluegil makes when eatin' a topwater bug and the exsplosive way a south GA Redbreast attacks a topwater bug...  We were talkin' 'bout how the Stripers on top willl get yer heart pumpin'and such...  We agreed as well that ifn the day ever came that the topwater Bream fishin' didn't get the adrenaline up and put a big grin on yer face...   It'd be time to hang the flypole on the wall...  To quote Bill "it's hard to beat".

Even when we get skunked it's still a good time on the water.  0--0

Ain't Topwater Bites Grand!!!

croaker
-you can't conquer a free man; the most you can do is kill him.  Robert A. Heinlein.

FT

Charter Member Shenandoah Valley Irregulars

badankles

Quote from: croaker on September 07, 2006, 19:36:01 PM
Ain't Topwater Bites Grand!!!

croaker

i agree, bream or otherwise, will get the heart a pumping.  ;D