Another crappy TR-W/2 more bigguns yesterday

Started by Holmes, December 02, 2011, 14:06:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Holmes

After seeing all of these "crappy" TR's, I thought maybe it was time that petey greene added his slice to the big watermelon on BRFF.

Met up with a friend very early yesterday morning. It would be a long day that neither of us regretted. The water was high, but those are ideal conditions for huge brookies. Both of us were into 'em quickly.
The water was basically higher than Willie Nelson, so dry flies were out of the question.
Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

I thought I was snagged on a rock until the line began to move. This thing turned my glass 3wt. into a pretzel... -0-

As the day carried on, we alternated fishing in the deep runs with heavy split shot rigs. The big char were more than happy to oblige.

As the sun began to sink below the ridge, we decided to veer up a section that has been good to me in the past. It did not dissapoint us today... Some blue ridge sharks were on the prowl...

It was a heck of a hike getting out of there at the end of the day, but well worth the effort, i'd say. I hope your day was equally as crappy as mine. -0- -0- -0- -0- -0- -0-

Jfey

damn dude, those are some nice feesh.   That big one had to be a blast to catch.
Yup, going fishing

Holmes

Quote from: Jfey on December 02, 2011, 14:30:45 PM
damn dude, those are some nice feesh.   That big one had to be a blast to catch.

Theres something to be said for native brookies that take line off the reel. ;D Gotta be my best day on the water this year as far as size is concerned...

AL trout bum

Nice! Just once, sometime, I am going to have to go with you, or Tranny to catch a decent brookie. You guys are like my monster brookie-catching idols.    bd;0
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Holmes

Quote from: AL trout bum on December 02, 2011, 14:48:16 PM
Nice! Just once, sometime, I am going to have to go with you, or Tranny to catch a decent brookie. You guys are like my monster brookie-catching idols.    bd;0

If you make the trip up i'll show you where the big boys live. It's nice to finally have these big ones keyed in, it's been real consistent, big ones every time out. Gotta be willing to use shitty flies though aka the pink weenie. Whataver works, I guess.  :laugh:

AL trout bum

One of these days I hope to. I have talked with Tranny about maybe trying this spring. It's such a hell of a drive that I keep talking myself out of it and fishing close. I'm in that stage where I want to catch every fish on a fly, so I have ADD when it comes to fishing. But brookies hold a special place for sure...........
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

Holmes

Quote from: AL trout bum on December 02, 2011, 15:16:12 PM
One of these days I hope to. I have talked with Tranny about maybe trying this spring. It's such a hell of a drive that I keep talking myself out of it and fishing close. I'm in that stage where I want to catch every fish on a fly, so I have ADD when it comes to fishing. But brookies hold a special place for sure...........

If your into fishing for brookies, as far as southern streams go it's pretty hard to beat the SNP. If you make the drive, it will be worth the time. But it definately takes some local intel to make the big fish happen. All I ask is that you bring a case of good beer.. Or, some premium malt liquor. I like Mickeys.. ;D

Grannyknot

Those are some ugly fish.  Tiny too.
Down here in TN, we fish for bigger fish, cause we are better than the rest of you.
Here are some that I caught just this morning.....(please disregard any source links or dates you may find in the pictures)

A beautiful native Tennessee cut

:P :P
-0- -0- -0- -0-
Nice trip report Petey  bd;0

Flea is not the best bassist of all time.

Big J

Dang petey, you had a heck of a day!  bd;0

Holmes

Uh, adjust the color... thats a hell of a haul there granny. Musky, smallie, and a cuttie all in one day!!! Maybe I should head down to TN for a weekend, cUttIES aRe sO mUch FuN :laugh:

AL trout bum

Quote from: Petey on December 02, 2011, 15:30:18 PM

If your into fishing for brookies, as far as southern streams go it's pretty hard to beat the SNP. If you make the drive, it will be worth the time. But it definately takes some local intel to make the big fish happen. All I ask is that you bring a case of good beer.. Or, some premium malt liquor. I like Mickeys.. ;D

Been to SNP a few times. I put both reports on here I believe. Only been twice, once in August and once in September. The biggest I have caught is probably equal to some of your smallest.

Holmes

Are you sure you ain't got your wires crossed? I check out some of the reports and it looked like the GSNP(Great Smoky Mountains National Park) I do all my fishing in the SNP(Shenandoah National Park) in the shenandoah valley of VA.

Quote from: AL trout bum on December 02, 2011, 17:11:23 PM
Quote from: Petey on December 02, 2011, 15:30:18 PM

Been to SNP a few times. I put both reports on here I believe. Only been twice, once in August and once in September. The biggest I have caught is probably equal to some of your smallest.

Aka

Dee-Amm!!!

I kinda hope your the guy from the BK commercial, I would feel much better about the brookies I've been catching.

Holmes

Quote from: AK Aaron on December 02, 2011, 17:20:20 PM
Dee-Amm!!!

I kinda hope your the guy from the BK commercial, I would feel much better about the brookies I've been catching.

HAHA! Tranny tried to lay that one on me, but my hands are bigger than his. I'm a 6 foot 4 dude, so these heah ain't da sardines.

Trout Chaser

Another fine report  bd;0 Hard to beat the colors of a SNP Brook Trout!!  I've got some vacation to burn before year end so I hope to get out before the real cold weather sets in.

TC