News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Info Needed

Started by troutfreak, February 21, 2008, 09:26:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

troutfreak

Not sure if this goes here.  I was wondering what would be the best mapping system online, not for GPS,  to reference for finding streams???  What do most of you guys use?  Thanks, TF

Woolly Bugger

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Bloy

Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

Oldman

The best way to find streams is to do your homework. Or, you can get lucky and bump into someone who knows most of them anyway and will take ya. Do your homework is what I would recommend. Its more fun.

Trout Maharishi

People keep asking for info we gonna have to make some more rules up ;hb ;D ///?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Creek Scum

You know if you start making rules people aren't going to feel comfortable providing the level of useful information we've become accustomed to.  :laugh: :laugh:
you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking, racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but you're older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death - Waters, Gilmore, Wright and Mason

Peddler

I guess you could jump to conclusions and take this topic as the guy asking for your secret fishing holes OR take it as his asking what software they use to seek, track and document streams.
If it's the latter, Topozone. 0--0
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

phg

Frankly, I'd rather use my DeLorme than any computer software I've seen.  TopZone does give a bit more detail once you've homed in on an area, and can drill down to the 1:50,000 or smaller.  Generally, though, I find computer windows too limiting.

Bloy

I'll have to agree with PHG, I do use a Delorme as well.
Barry
Times fun when you're having flies.
...Kermit

jkilday4

Delorme's Gazeteers are hard to beat.  On-line I've been using http://maps.google.com/ - it's free - but I'm wondering what extras one misses out on vs. a paid service like topozone...?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: jkilday4 on February 25, 2008, 08:54:02 AM
Delorme's Gazeteers are hard to beat.  On-line I've been using http://maps.google.com/ - it's free - but I'm wondering what extras one misses out on vs. a paid service like topozone...?

topozone is free all you need.... :)
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jkilday4

My mistake...it was topozone pro that requires a subscription - thanks!

troutfreak

Trout Marisher or whatever you go by I was by no means searching for stream info form you or anybody else for the matter.  I hav lived and Haywood County my whole life, I know where the fish are around here, just looking to expand a little to the brookie streams of VA.  So I wont be looking for your stream, no worries.  Everybody knows where Watuaga is....

Trout Maharishi

Quote from: troutfreak on March 03, 2008, 10:15:22 AM
Trout Marisher or whatever you go by I was by no means searching for stream info form you or anybody else for the matter.  I hav lived and Haywood County my whole life, I know where the fish are around here, just looking to expand a little to the brookie streams of VA.  So I wont be looking for your stream, no worries.  Everybody knows where Watuaga is....

I'm sorry, it wasn't you that post was aimed at. As far as living in Haywood Co. all your life, I'm sorry ///? I see the public schools still haven't improved 8) I grew up over on Hemphill Rd right off the Cataloochee Divide, so I just might know a couple more streams than the Tauga. Do you live over by Canton by any chance?
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

trout_boy_II

As for maps,  I recommend the one's for the different Parks/Forests available through the Forest service folks as well as other locations.  By that I mean the one that I believe National Geographic puts out.  Will not cover every situation, but the scale works better for me than Dolorme which I also use if outside the NG maps.  Here an on line source:

http://shopsearch.nationalgeographic.com/?sp_sr=rank&q=Pisgah+Forest

You can float around their site and find more, i.e. GSMNP, Nanty, etc.  Scale varies from map to map, but generally 50K or less to one.  This extra detail is very helpful, at least to my old eyes and most FA roads and many trails are shown along with topo and streams.  Cheap help in the field.

TB