Brodin Ghost Net, Orvis magnetic net lanyard, and other stuff...

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 21, 2008, 22:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

First I've been needing a new net for fishing the tailwaters, the old C & R net wasn't big enough for the larger trout on the S. Holston and the Watauga. I've been looking at rubber bag nets for a while but hadn't seen the Brodin Ghost until I paid a visit to Walt's Fly Shop in Morganton. I liked the way it looked and after finding the smallest one, the Galatin, to be suitable I got it and had the opportunity to use it on the Watauga and South Holston rivers several times this month. I think it's great and the translucent rubber doesn't sent the trout into a panic as you bring them to the net. The rubber is very easy on the fish and your hooks won't get caught in the net either. A+++

No the only problem is how to attach the net to the vest and still be able to take pictures of the fish w/o the net floating away while fishing the deep waters of the S. Holston. I missed a few pictures because of not having a third hand. So I bought an Orvis Magnetic net tender thing for $25, it has a super strong magnet and a coiled cord connecting the two halves. I'm going to give it a try tomorrow and hopefully I'll have some decent photos to post.

Also picked up some Frog Hair's Strike indicators, size medium, which is really a Large in my book, and I still am confused about how to use and reuse them. There is a major riffle that I can nymph with a couple of BB shot and this "bobber" will float the load. We'll see if there are and decent fish hanging out beneath the crazy water.

More later...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

Fire-Fly

Woolly.. i was thinking of getting one ofe the brodin nets like yours, how do you like it now that you have used it a while, do you think it will last for a while?

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Fire-Fly on April 25, 2008, 18:26:02 PM
Woolly.. i was thinking of getting one ofe the brodin nets like yours, how do you like it now that you have used it a while, do you think it will last for a while?

I like it a lot, I really think that the clear rubber doesn't frighten the fish as they come to the net unlike black rubber or nylon. It is real easy on the fish. Remember it's not exactly a small net, 16.5" x 8". It's very well built and I think that it will last quite a long while. BTW the do sell replacement bags too, so you could retro an old net if you wanted to.

Only complaint is that the "bag" isn't very deep and a good fish will flop out easily (like a 24" fish wouldn't stay put for long)

me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

trout_boy_II

Wool -

Got the Orvis magnet about 3 years ago.  It killed me to pay that much for a magnet, but it has been great and worth every penny.  I think you'll find it a great tool/convenience.

TB

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: trout_boy_II on April 25, 2008, 19:59:20 PM
Wool -

Got the Orvis magnet about 3 years ago.  It killed me to pay that much for a magnet, but it has been great and worth every penny.  I think you'll find it a great tool/convenience.

TB

So far I like it. I just waiting for that super magnet to destroy some expensive piece of electronics that happen to get too close.  ::)

I like having the net attached to my vest so I don't have to worry about it floating away while attempting to photograph a fish!
me -There's a season?

troutphisher

I was probably the biggest skeptic of all when I saw this net, especially at the cost.
But I have since been convinced. The net is actually an asset when it comes to releasing fish from the net with a dropper rig, or dry fly.

The net is virtually un-snag able. I used to fight with getting the hooks out of the net after releasing the fish, sometimes spending as much at 20-30 minutes untangling the rig, weather nymph fishing or dry fly fishing.

The ease of releasing the fish, and retrieving the fly's in tack, and not having to work out snags is worth it to me.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

glassfisher

OK, I finally just broke down and ordered the Brodin ghost net.  It's not cheap, but I was getting tired of fighting to get fish and flys untangled.  What takes the cake is when the hook goes through the fish's jaw and gets caught in the net.  Fish flopping everywhere and you have to settle him down, pull the hook out through the net and the fish's jaw.   o-o   Anyway, no more of that BS, who needs that aggravation on the stream.  I ordered the slightly larger frying pan net b/c I've heard the other is a little too small when you're handling a lunker.  wishful thinkin   ;D 

BTW Wooly, I've been using the Orvis maget for about 3 yrs now and it's still going strong, a great product!
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.