News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

re-duex My Blue Heaven

Started by AK Aaron, November 03, 2011, 19:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aka

Hit up my mountain stream, around 35 minutes from the house. My in-laws have a place up there about ten minutes from where I usually start fishing that we stay at once in a while. They have had it on the market for about a month and as I was driving over I got a call from my wife saying they had just signed a contract on it that should close at the end of the month.
This is always a good sign,

[attachimg=1]

Quick stop for some scenery,

[attachimg=2]

Being this spot is so close to the fam's mountain house and we see them quite a bit when they come up I have taken the opportunity to excuse myself more than once to do a little fishing, It is definatly more numbers than size but as most of the stretch I fish is on private property that I have access to I have never once seen anyone else fishing here let alone anyone at all and I'll take that all day long.
Heres the 1st one (the new guard).

[attachimg=3]

2nd and I start thinking if its going to be that kind of a day.

[attachimg=4]

Working through the pools I get to this spot that I have taken a few from in the past below the tree in the larger pool...nothing
So I move up and try landing between the rocks without hitting the tree...nothing.

[attachimg=5]

I move up some more and cast over the tree to the current line and drift down under the tree and bam this guy comes up, grabs my fly, I set the hook. Feeling good that he took off upstream, I pass my rod over the tree and back to my other hand to and try bring him down stream and land him. Feeling the pressure of me pulling him down stream, he does a 180 shoots down through the pool and turns right back up and heads straight to the spot I hooked him and gets my leader wrapped around a branch in the water.
No good trying to ease it out and he is comfortable being where he likes to hang out so I climb the rock on the right, walk across the log, almost eating shit in doing so, jump down and leader it up.

[attachimg=6]

Neat waterfall a bit further up.

[attachimg=7]

franzenangler

Nice fish  0:0  If you want better size try throwing some of the fish on the bank.  Keeping a population is no problem for those cockraoches, but overpopulation is.
"Whatch'all boys doing around here?"

"I AM THE TRANSYL WADER!"

"I don't give a shit who you are boy, I asked whatcha doin'"

"That's it boy, you're in a heap of trouble."

benben reincarnated

nice little convenient water you got there. 

herofthecreek

Quote from: franzenangler on November 03, 2011, 19:38:03 PM
Nice fish  0:0  If you want better size try throwing some of the fish on the bank.  Keeping a population is no problem for those cockraoches, but overpopulation is.

so kill native fish?  >:D if ya were from up north round my way where we dont have trout maybe youd appreciate them more  b';

Transylwader

Quote from: herofthecreek on November 03, 2011, 22:02:23 PM
so kill native fish?
My friend, native fish are dace, chub, shiners and of course the prettiest char. I personally coached kid cool into becoming a possessed bow bank chucking machine (and if they
re good size, we eat them). Why do you think he catches the biggest wild brookies? We're getting rid of the problem: Rainbow trout reach sexual maturity on bluelines at a very young age and at a very stunted size. More mouths to feed, less food to go round, smaller fish size. Looking Glass Creek is a classic example. If I could find the dipshit who stocked rainbows above the falls on top of a native population, I would kick them in the FUCK. It seems that in most fishermens mind a better species is a rainbow or a brown because they grow to a bigger size. I don't care! They are invasives and don't belong in our streams. One day when all the brookies are gone? You can thank the NCWRC and TU for doing sweet fuck all >:D b';
So for now? I'll kill every damn cockroach above a natural barrier on a blueline that is supposed to be brook trout only.
AK Aaron, sorry to jack your thread. I hope this finds true blueliners well and y'all practise the same. Besides, whose gonna fine you for killing a rainbow when youre 3 miles away from a road? ::)

Aka

Tranny, no worries I feel the same about the TU/ NCWRC. It seems like a lot of TU types (not all) are more than content to chase pellet heads and would rather their fish were raised big inside pens than wild where work and skill are all that will get you on good fish. I have removed a good number of sunfish out of a few pools up there and have a buddy that eats some of the bows (too facking small to deal with imo, plus I get my fish sent down from the homeland).

Transylwader

Quote from: AK Aaron on November 03, 2011, 23:22:18 PM
I get my fish sent down from the homeland).
I know (lucky bugger!!!) You havin your xmas stash sent within the next few weeks? May have to trade, deer jerky for some slamo steaks!

Aka

Last shipment was moose and halibut. Had some moose tenderloin off the grill last week...

AL trout bum

Nice report, but I'm with Transylwader and Franzenangler on this one. Rainbows are a nuisance to bluelines.
"Sloppy and rough wading have saved more trout than any regulation written by man."

tattdflythrower

Quote from: Transylwader on November 03, 2011, 22:25:48 PM
Quote from: herofthecreek on November 03, 2011, 22:02:23 PM
so kill native fish?
My friend, native fish are dace, chub, shiners and of course the prettiest char. I personally coached kid cool into becoming a possessed bow bank chucking machine (and if they
re good size, we eat them). Why do you think he catches the biggest wild brookies? We're getting rid of the problem: Rainbow trout reach sexual maturity on bluelines at a very young age and at a very stunted size. More mouths to feed, less food to go round, smaller fish size. Looking Glass Creek is a classic example. If I could find the dipshit who stocked rainbows above the falls on top of a native population, I would kick them in the FUCK. It seems that in most fishermens mind a better species is a rainbow or a brown because they grow to a bigger size. I don't care! They are invasives and don't belong in our streams. One day when all the brookies are gone? You can thank the NCWRC and TU for doing sweet fuck all >:D b';
So for now? I'll kill every damn cockroach above a natural barrier on a blueline that is supposed to be brook trout only.
AK Aaron, sorry to jack your thread. I hope this finds true blueliners well and y'all practise the same. Besides, whose gonna fine you for killing a rainbow when youre 3 miles away from a road? ::)

here' here' tranny 0:0
"if i live the life im given, i wont be scared to die"

herofthecreek

yall are entitled to your own opinions, aint gonna change my mind though. Back where im from i used to be able to fish for brookies AND "cochroaches" in 3 or four little trickles no one knew about.Then some dumbass decided one day it would be a good idea to pretty much put up cords on a forum, and for you knew it, BAM, those creeks had nothing but people in them.   I watched over the time span of about 12 years those streams fall down the shitter cause of over fishing and killing fish. do i keep a fish everyonce in awhile for the fire? your goddam right. so yall can call me a tree hugger or whatever the fack ya want truth is idgaf  :laugh:. Maybe up here in the mountians there are more fish and overpopulation is a problem, im just saying because of where im from just the thought kills me. Truth is ya never know what could happen, aint like were seeing higher numbers of native fish around the country, shits gettin worse before better... not to mention this is a pointless road to go down, different strokes...

Big J

While I haven't creeled any wild/native trout here in VA, I do believe it is the best thing to do for an overpopulated stunted trout stream.  Just like a farm pond that is overpopulated with stunted sunfish, you throw as many as the fish you can catch on the bank and in a few years hopefully the bass can start to take control of the population and keep the egg stealing sunfish undercontrol.  Same principal for an overpopulated stream.  I have yet to run into that here in central Va due to the locals doing enough creeling as is  b';

consumnfire1229

I love me some fish flingers!  Haha.   :P
"Thou shalt know thy waters and be wise about those things upon which thy prey doth feed."  4th Commandment of The Eleven Commandments from the Curtis Creek Manifesto

Aka

Other than a few sunfish that I'm thinking my buddy put in (which I have culled) this one is all bows. Its a low elevation stream and about 1/2 a mile up it from where I fish splits into three, small branches. I've been up the two bigger branches and haven't found anything which wasn't surprising for how small they are. I'm particular to it just because I know that I can hit it on any given day and fish by myself and know I won't be following anyone else.
I'm w/ Tranny on the brookies, I think that stocking on any stream that has tribs that support native (i.e. brooks) should end. Shit they could just put them extra pelletheads in a lake outside charlotte and save everyone some gas.