What's your MPG? How about 3,145 miles per gallon!!!!

Started by Woolly Bugger, October 04, 2006, 17:55:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

A team of engineering students from The University of British Columbia has built a vehicle so efficient that it could travel from Vancouver to Halifax on a gallon of gasoline.

http://www.physorg.com/news70040977.html
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

troutphisher

Great design effort if the goal was purely fuel efficiency, however comfort was sacrificed. The driver must lay in the prone position to navigate the vehicle.
Also the vehicle only has room for one passenger,the driver.

Now add all the weight of a four passenger vehicle equipped with the modern comforts of music, air conditioning, shock absorption, comfortable up right seating, speed....ect.

The fuel efficiency would evaporate like a fart in the wind.

Maybe some safety issues also, how well does the light weight composite materials absorb impact? Would the driver be safe in a collision?

While it is a good engineering exercise mainly resulting in a higher Grade Point Average, in todays market, it would be a complete failure, for not giving equal design considerations to the other customer CTQ's mentioned above.

It also does not break the dependence on fossil fuel, there is no mention of an alternative fuel design? it simply uses less oil.  ???
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: troutphisher on October 04, 2006, 18:41:09 PM
Great design effort if the goal was purely fuel efficiency, however comfort was sacrificed. The driver must lay in the prone position to navigate the vehicle.
Also the vehicle only has room for one passenger,the driver.

Now add all the weight of a four passenger vehicle equipped with the modern comforts of music, air conditioning, shock absorption, comfortable up right seating, speed....ect.

The fuel efficiency would evaporate link a fart in the wind.

Maybe some safety issues also, how well does the light weight composite materials absorb impact? Would the driver be safe in a collision?

While it is a good engineering exercise mainly resulting in a higher Grade Point Average, in todays market, it would be a complete failure, for not giving equal design considerations to the other customer CTQ's mentioned above.

It also does not break the dependence on fossil fuel, there is no mention of an alternative fuel design? it simply uses less oil.  ???

:P you take the all fun out of it....
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.

peter p

Feels almost like Phish peed in your Wheaties, doesn't it Woolly?  Now stop that Phish!
Peter

lepomis_mcro

if i can put a rod-rack on the top i could drive to montana for under 4 bucks ;D ;D thats way cool in my book
(mark 6:41)"Taking the five loaves and the two fish and looking up to heaven, he gave thanks and broke the loaves. Then said to the crowd amassed before him. I have mine the hell with the rest of you."

taken from the christian conservative handbook.  how to deal with modern problems.

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: lepomis_mcro on October 04, 2006, 20:35:34 PM
if i can put a rod-rack on the top i could drive to montana for under 4 bucks ;D ;D thats way cool in my book

did it say how fast it went... you might be on the road for a while.....
me -There's a season?

Gofisher

The year before the same team only got 1600 mpg. With the second place team only getting 1800 mpg this year, the winners really stepped it up this year. I have to agree with phish that it would be a much better feat if it was done using an alternative fuel source. It was however, quite an accomplishment!  0--0
Yankee by birth, Rebel by choice.

phg

It would be relatively trivial to switch the engine over to run off of alcohol, or even a bottled gas, such as propane or butane (or even pure hydrogen). 

I think Wooly hit on to a key point, though.  No where in the article does it state how fast the vehicle went.  Wind/air resistance is a key factor in milage.