News:

As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Amazon Link

Main Menu

Monday's Midges...

Started by Woolly Bugger, April 19, 2010, 13:35:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woolly Bugger

With news that Philpott Dam on the Smith River is undergoing some power plant repairs and there won't be any generation all week, I headed out in hopes of finding some rising brown trout. They were plowing the fields when I got there.

When I got to the water there were risers on the far side up against the bank sipping midges in the slack water. I wasted no time tying on a productive pattern and waded out as far as I dared not wanting to put the fish down but to get across some of the conflicting currents. I was wearing shorts under my waders and the cold water bit into the back of my legs. I wished I had a thermometer, the water must be in the 40s.

I put down the fist couple of fish that I targeted, but was successful on the third fish.

They may not grow very big but they sure are pretty.

I moved on downstream and continued to cast to and catch risers.

The midge hatch slacked off and the fish stopped rising, I looked in the fly box and thought about rigging up some nymphs, but decided that wouldn't measure up to the morning activity so I chose to call it a day and headed up to the dam to take a look.

On the way back to the car I found the Jackson twins.

Up at the source of the river I now understood why the water was so frickin cold!

ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

tbird4

way to work them dries! good looking brownies 0--0

5xTippett

Good job, Woolly.  I agree that they are pretty!  If there are prettier browns around I would like to see a picture.

Trout Maharishi

WOW! You found my money! I would be glad for you to keep half as a finders fee, just forward me the rest ;D
"We're all going to die, all of us, what a circus! That alone should make us love each other but it doesn't. We are terrorized and flattened by trivialities, we are eaten up by nothing."
― Charles Bukowski

Woolly Bugger

Quote from: Trout Maharishi on April 19, 2010, 13:47:15 PM
WOW! You found my money! I would be glad for you to keep half as a finders fee, just forward me the rest ;D

I already spent your half...
ex - I'm not going to live with you through one more fishing season!
me -There's a season?

Pastor explains icons to my son: you know like the fish symbol on the back of cars.
My son: My dad has two fish on his car and they're both trout!

jkilday4

troutphisher

Feesh and pay..... ^-^   YOU SUCK!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

glassfisher

beautiful browns and nice greens  ;D  sweet
Beer, the cause of and solution to all life's problems.

Red-Ass

That dam video reminds me of something?  Oh yeah, my ass after mexican and hippy beer!

hopper

nice work and beautiful fish.  I love the sp. reg area of the smith.  Very scenic and you do not have to fish grocery carts and tire structures to catch fish.
If you hunt with your kids you will never have to hunt for you kids.