For the lust of guns

Started by Mudwall Gatewood, October 10, 2014, 12:46:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil

Phil

New Toy --

Guests are not allowed to view images in posts, please Register or Login

Big J

Attended VCDL Lobby Day yesterday.  It was a great turnout.  Especially considering all the fearmonging the Governor tried to do to get people to stay home.  He likened it to the Charlotesville White Supremist Rally and stated "imminent threats".  I know a dozen people that fell for his ploy and decided last minute to stay home.  I truly wonder how many people would of been there if this wasn't the case.  That said, the Governor and Media are saying 22,000 people showed.  That is an extremely underinflated number.  The few aerial shots they have (because it was a no fly zone and no drones allowed) and computer programs estimating numbers has the total to be between 50k-60k realistically.  It honestly felt like 100K in the moment.  Every street you were allowed access on around capital square (3 sides) was filled with people.  And then every access street leading in was also filled.  There was no good way to get a clear sense of the multitude of people from the photos because they were dispersed over such a great area due to the state fencing in the capital grounds.  The only racist I saw was the man in blackface or KKK outfit on posters.  Majority was old white men at the rally, but a good showing of black gun community was there and also some pictures circulating of the small showing the LGBT community had.  What amazed me too was the amount of women that realize they are disproportionately affected by 2A restrictions and made a strong showing.  Look at some of the pictures and you will see they had a strong showing.  Last thing to note is this is the most polite crowd I have ever been apart of.  Everyone was bumping into each other trying to walk and it was all "excuse me", "I'm sorry", "you mind if I squeeze by", etc.  They were also thanking police officers for doing their jobs and also thanking the media for covering the event.  The media anchors that were reporting genuine politeness of the event would have a dozen people cheer and thank them after they went off air.  Afterwards citizens were going around and picking up all the trash from the event that fell too the streets.  It was truly something awesome to witness and gives hope to society.  I'd say 30% of the people walking around outside "state of emergency" zone were walking with slung AR's or AK's.  One guy was walking around with a 5ft Barret .50 haha.  Not only did I feel comfortable at this event, I felt extremely protected by everyone exercising their rights.  Not a single firearm related incident took place too.  Crazy considering a bunch of armed white supremist didn't go apocalyptic like the governor and media and legislators that were cowering in safe houses would lead you to believe. 

If you look in the background you can see the crowd going up the hill.

My favorite sign.  Dude took a shirtless picture of himself and was proud. 

Was walking behind this guy trying to make our away against the flow of the crowd. Noticed his backpack was unzipped and about to lose a CD.  When I let him know this, I immediately recognized his voice.  Mrgunsngear from YouTube.  We made some small talk and I thanked him for coming up and supporting this instead of going to SHOT show.  Good genuine guy.

Came home to some leftover brisket sandwiches with a little bit of hope still left for VA.   V:;

Phil

Very Good that it was so peaceful and well-attended, Big J. Thumbs up to ya for being there.
"Majority was old white men at the rally..." Heheh. You have such a delicate and respectful way with words....  :laugh:

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

"Majority was old white men at the rally....."

This tells me all I need to know.

I also feel there is "a little bit of hope still left for VA".  60,000 at the rally.  Even if we assume they were all from Virginia, which ain't true, that is only about 1% of the 5,660,969 Virginia registered voters (if my ciphering is correct).   
"Enjoy every sandwich."  Warren Zevon

Big J

Quote from: Phil on January 21, 2020, 10:23:08 AMVery Good that it was so peaceful and well-attended, Big J. Thumbs up to ya for being there.
"Majority was old white men at the rally..." Heheh. You have such a delicate and respectful way with words....  :laugh:

Haha, I'm pro old white men at rallies, but you know the stereotype.  Only old white men support the 2A.  That simply isn't true. 

Also there was an old WWII vet in uniform standing in street with a mega phone a few blocks down all morning speaking to the crowd. He was very very good from what little I heard of him! Wish I could get his name so I knew who it was.  Had a couple hundred people around him listening at all times.

Big J

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 21, 2020, 10:29:34 AM"Majority was old white men at the rally....."

This tells me all I need to know.

I also feel there is "a little bit of hope still left for VA".  60,000 at the rally.  Even if we assume they were all from Virginia, which ain't true, that is only about 1% of the 5,660,969 Virginia registered voters (if my ciphering is correct).   

You are so full of crap.  How is a gathering of 60K, on a week day that majority of people do not have off, considered a small event in your eyes and insignificant? I promise you Richmond could not handle much more.  Parking garages were closed because of fear of white supremacist, roads were blocked, and off ramps were backed up miles.  It was a logistical nightmare transportation wise.  The city literally made it an awful situation to be apart of and did everything in their power to get people not to come and make it miserable and still tens of thousands came.  AND IN 20 DEGREE WEATHER FOR MOST OF THE MORNING! Was in the low thirties when we left.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Enlighten us on how it feels to be in the minority. 

Big J

94% of the state's counties and municipalities are 2A Sanctuaries.  This is not the minority.  No where in the US, in recent times, have we seen such an uprising against a state government.  There are thousands attending BOS meetings all over VA where normally there is only 10's of people attending. 

Big J

And I'll go ahead and explain why that is.  The old saying is "How do you boil a frog? You turn up the heat slowly."  In VA we went from a state that was very 2A friendly to a state that wants to ban and confiscate nearly every semi auto rifle that has a magazine and every shotgun that holds more then 7 shells.  The legislators have seen the error of their ways and are starting to walk back some of the bills or soften them. VA is a safe state.  We average 12 murders from rifles a year (note rifles, no idea if they are all from AR's or bolt actions) and last year there is being reported there was only 8 murders.  While I agree every death is tragic, making half the state felons over night over that many deaths is not a "public health issue" but a control issue.  When you want to get back at me with some facts, feel free too. 

Phil

Muddy, are you against the 2nd Amendment? Jist askin'....

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Big J on January 21, 2020, 10:42:08 AM94% of the state's counties and municipalities are 2A Sanctuaries.  This is not the minority.  No where in the US, in recent times, have we seen such an uprising against a state government.  There are thousands attending BOS meetings all over VA where normally there is only 10's of people attending. 

You are underestimating the silent majority, those that voted in VA's last election.  But, you are correct, very few of that recently mute group attended the sanctuary county board meetings.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Phil on January 21, 2020, 10:52:14 AMMuddy, are you against the 2nd Amendment? Jist askin'....

No!!!  I own many guns.  In fact, I don't know how many guns I own.  I even have a carry permit.  But, I have never had a fear of the "man" coming and taking my guns.

Phil

Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 21, 2020, 10:57:05 AM
Quote from: Phil on January 21, 2020, 10:52:14 AMMuddy, are you against the 2nd Amendment? Jist askin'....

No!!!  I own many guns.  In fact, I don't know how many guns I own.  I even have a carry permit.  But, I have never had a fear of the "man" coming and taking my guns.

Me neither, but the recent VA proposals seem a bit scary and over the top.

Mudwall Gatewood 3.0

Quote from: Phil on January 21, 2020, 11:00:26 AM
Quote from: Mudwall Gatewood 3.0 on January 21, 2020, 10:57:05 AM

Me neither, but the recent VA proposals seem a bit scary and over the top.

I agree, some of the proposals are silly, but if you believe the numbers, most Virginians want stricter firearms regulations (whatever that is).  I firmly believe clear heads will prevail, and if not, then this issue will be settled in the courts and at the polling place.  Paranoia on either side will serve no one.