New Rod (old) T&T

Started by troutphisher, January 19, 2010, 23:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brownhunter

That is a fine rod right there, TP  0--0 I think I remember you telling me about this rod a few years back  :o Glad you were finally able to get it and I hope it fishes as well as it looks.
"Why, he wondered, did rich people call it sushi while poor people called it bait?"   -- Same Kind of Different as Me

Peddler

Just saw them build a T&T bamboo rod on How it's Made tonight. That is one fine rod you got there pisser.

The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

troutphisher

Quote from: Peddler on January 31, 2010, 22:40:37 PM
Just saw them build a T&T bamboo rod on How it's Made tonight. That is one fine rod you got there pisser.

Actually Piddle,
This might be a bamboo rod you'd probably like. It's faster than most bamboo rods I have cast, and the tip is very smooth, (no bounce). The taper is very fine at the tip, but it loads very progressively, and releases very smoothly.

Glass and I are going to measure this rod with a micrometer, and plot the taper.
It should be interesting to see the stress curve, and compare it with other tapers.

I have cast other high end rods, but this rod feels different and makes me believe, its a T&T developed taper, witch is to say, I don't think they copied one of the old master builders.

Buy graphing the taper, we'll be able to compare it to known tapers and see if there is a match up, or if its an exclusive taper of T&T.

I still can't see where T&T has pulled the tag end or the wraps under the windings, it incredible how they are able to hide the tags on all the wraps, even the check winding. The wraps are water clear, and if you look under magnification, you can see the individual silk wraps, but still can't see the tag end.

And there are absolutely no glue lines on this rod, another example of fine craftsmanship. I know there are glues, that dry to a light honey color to match the cane, but this rod is impregnated, so its a darker color. I am only guessing, but they might dye or add a color pigment to the glue, or they back bevel (under cut) the 60 deg bevel slightly to achieve a perfect joint, and leave a small space for the glue?

Either way, its an impressive product, and fun to fish.

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Peddler

Quote from: troutphisher on February 01, 2010, 10:05:32 AM

I still can't see where T&T has pulled the tag end or the wraps under the windings, it incredible how they are able to hide the tags on all the wraps, even the check winding. The wraps are water clear, and if you look under magnification, you can see the individual silk wraps, but still can't see the tag end.

And there are absolutely no glue lines on this rod, another example of fine craftsmanship.
Either way, its an impressive product, and fun to fish.

No tags? Maybe Super Glue? I just built my first rod and was told the tags come with the territory. Now I have to find out how T&T does that. They slid right over that part on TV.

One thing that struck me on the video is that T&T uses a milling machine to make the tapers. Not being a bamboo builder (by any stretch) I was surprised at the amount of bend they put in the individual pieces before gluing to get kinks and such out. Damn near bend the section parallel to itself!

I've had T&T plastic rods and was always in awe it their craftsmanship. I can't imagine how particular they are with their 'boo.
The early bird may get the worm,
but the second mouse gets the cheese.

twinbridges